Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Challenger R/T SP WB M6
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I monitored IATs for schlitz and giggles - it hovered around 5 -7 degrees above ambient. Even after 1 hour of spirited driving and speeds around 75.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
824 Posts
So I monitored IATs for schlitz and giggles - it hovered around 5 -7 degrees above ambient. Even after 1 hour of spirited driving and speeds around 75.
Good numbers.

Do you have the stock airbox? Or a Hellcat airbox? Or, a Cold Air Intake?

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
2,018 Posts
That's on par with what I observe with my 2020 Scat Pack.

Actually if I start out from a cold start IAT can stay under 5F above ambient as long as I do not get into stop and go traffic.

IAT is elevated after parking the car this from heat soak. Normal. Doesn't take too much time for this to come down and if I leave surface streets for the highway the IAT really drops.

So far my 2020 Scat Pack's IATs are lower than that of any other N/A car I have owned.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good numbers.

Do you have the stock airbox? Or a Hellcat airbox? Or, a Cold Air Intake?
I put on the hellcat lower with headlight airtube. Stock other than that, it is the scoop that goes nowhere and dual heat extractor hood.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
824 Posts
I put on the hellcat lower with headlight airtube. Stock other than that, it is the scoop that goes nowhere and dual heat extractor hood.
It looks like those heat extractors are doing their job.

I added the recent T/A-style cold air intake to my '15 SRT 392 a couple of years ago. That CAI makes the center hood scoop functional and ducts the air to the airbox. It also has a duct to the inner headlight so it's pulling air from a number of places.

My IATs usually run in the same 5 to 7 degrees above ambient when I'm cruising. Though ... last weekend when I made a trip from Jacksonville to Daytona Beach and back, the IATs hovered around 3 to 5 degrees. And ambient was in the 88 to 90 range that day. I really don't have an explanation for why the IATs were lower than usual.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Your numbers are what I'm seeing dead stock. I think the heat extractor hood probably does more for it than the headlight tube.

·
Registered
Scat Pack Shaker
25 Posts
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive decal Automotive exterior Font

Mine gets to 5 or 6° above outside temp at 60 mph after a minute too…

The question is what’s it at when yer in the staging lanes/water box/starting line/and most importantly 11 seconds later : )

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ran the car pretty hard for an hour - speeds up to 75 sustained for minutes at a time. Hard on ramp acceleration, no 1320 but it stayed consistent.

And when I used to race it was hood up, engine off. Move every 2 cars. But it depends on the amount of cars staged. Personally I would rather see what it looks like after a few laps on VIR or Summit Point, ETC... but I am not about to embarrass myself in this 4400lb car :)

·
Registered
Scat Pack Shaker
25 Posts
Dude that went 6.00 at Irwindale thursday night didn’t seem embarrassed…

Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Car

1 - 9 of 9 Posts