Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Covering my car with a regular car cover. Then putting a tarp over it. I don't want to put just a tarp over it. I'm afraid it'll scratch it up

I'm wondering if anyone else does this and how effective it is. I'm going on vacation, and unfortunately I don't have anywhere inside to put my challenger. In the past I've used a car cover, but it's not high quality at all and water just seeps right through….Can't have that with a black car.

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,539 Posts
I have thought a lot about this too, because I don't have a garage. First of all, make sure your car is spotless and freshly waxed. I think I would use a plush car cover such as a CoverCraft Noah against the car itself. Make sure it is tied down well underneath diagonally and under the doors. Then I would put a WeatherGard type cover over that. Also tie that down and use Gust Gards. On the WeatherGard cover, treat it with a couple extra treatments of Scotch Guard.

I don't think you want to use any plastic as a cover as if moisture does get under it, it can mold.

Also, put some Bounce dryer sheets under the hood, in the trunk and in the interior to help ward of the little pesky rodents.

·
801 RWHP
8,521 Posts
I hear they dont like moth balls either. During the winter i put these around my car in the garage, in plastic cups.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,683 Posts
Covering my car with a regular car cover. Then putting a tarp over it. I don't want to put just a tarp over it. I'm afraid it'll scratch it up

I'm wondering if anyone else does this and how effective it is. I'm going on vacation, and unfortunately I don't have anywhere inside to put my challenger. In the past I've used a car cover, but it's not high quality at all and water just seeps right through….Can't have that with a black car.
Car covers are permeable/breathable for the purpose of allowing moisture to dissipate rather than build up on your vehicle's finish. By placing a tarp over the car cover, moisture from condensation will be trapped under the fabric, rather than evaporating. Although the condensation/evaporation cycle leaves those ugly dirt blotches on your finish, they're actually more benign than allowing moisture to sit on your paint for long extended periods of time. You should be OK if it's only for a couple of weeks or so.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I have a Coverking Coverbond 4 for my Challenger, because my garage has been converted into my man cave. The cover works great, it came with straps and a locking cable for those really windy days. Water, dirt, or bird poop doesn't get through the cover! Since I only drive it on weekends, I wash it on Sunday before covering it up during the week.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's the case though.. I'll only be gone for 2 weeks , but it's scheduled to rain two days after I leave and then again in the middle of my vacation.

I would like to prevent ANY chance of rain hitting my car.

edit: and there's no possibility of indoor storage

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
When my car is parked outside I use two covers.....
A Covercraft Weathershiled HD and a Noah over that.

·
Dazed & Confused
36,587 Posts
I have 3 on mine, the Ultraweave next to the car and then two Stormweaves on top of it. The rain will still soak through them eventually but it will also dry pretty quick once the sun hit them. I think if you don't want water better buy one of those portable garage tents and anchor it down and also use a good cover.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts