Dodge Challenger Forum banner

If You Drive in Virginia

3K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  Latenite1 
#1 ·
Reactions: jkelly16
#4 ·
Virginia has always been tough on speeders. Back in the day, Delaware used to have Kangaroo court. You go right to a courthouse, in front of the judge and if you lose, go to jail.

#5 ·
I live in Northern Virginia and I've seen that speeding offenses (up to 15 miles over limit)do not seem to be strictly enforced. I believe that local Virginia police (County of Fairfax, City of Alexandria, State) concentrate on those who are clearly driving recklessly (excessive speeding and weaving) or who run through red lights or stop signs. Northern Virginia police are practically invisible during rush traffic since any car pulled over by a police car with lights flashing has a detrimental effect on smooth traffic flow.

I'm more cautious about speed when I cross over into Maryland where I suspect that their goal is less about traffic safety and more about revenue-ing.

#6 ·
Don't speed through Virginia. Also if your state has a no tint law, Virginia can issue you a tint ticket. They also have stricter penalties. The also want to hit you with reckless driving for speeding. Just threw the tint ticket in the glove box. Haven't even looked at it yet. Most of the way down to Hilton Head Island I was being passed. I get nabbed getting out from behind a semi who was holding up traffic cruising in the left lane. Leo pulled the guy over that was passing me and waved me over too. Guess I should be happy to only get a tint ticket. But not really when that was the only time in the 12 hour ride when I pushed it a little.

#7 ·
Guy who wrote the article acted like he went to prison for 3 years not 3 days. What a joke. Speeding is not a joke though, Speed Kills. Side note: I have had my car almost 4 and a half years. Not one speeding ticket while driving the Challenger. And I speed every day. Just jinxed myself. I will now have to start driving no more than 5 over starting tomorrow. lol Oh yeah, isn't 20mph over the limit in North Carolina a FELONY???

#9 ·
Interesting article, guess I won't be driving in Virginia, I live too far away. Maybe that is a good thing in my case. If you have a lead foot, probably should move to Wyoming or Montana. They pretty much drive any speed they feel like. Nebraska is a little stricter than those two states, but truthfully they wouldn't waste their time putting the state patrol on those north/south Sandhills highways. You might wait all day for two or three cars!

#11 · (Edited)
I live in Northern Virginia and I've seen that speeding offenses (up to 15 miles over limit)do not seem to be strictly enforced. I believe that local Virginia police (County of Fairfax, City of Alexandria, State) concentrate on those who are clearly driving recklessly (excessive speeding and weaving) or who run through red lights or stop signs. Northern Virginia police are practically invisible during rush traffic since any car pulled over by a police car with lights flashing has a detrimental effect on smooth traffic flow.

I'm more cautious about speed when I cross over into Maryland where I suspect that their goal is less about traffic safety and more about revenue-ing.
I agree, Tim. You learn how to handle your lead foot here in Virginia. The area that the author mentioned has a lot of curves and slow turns. So he really stood out with 93 mph.

Oh, BTW, I consider Susie Teenager and Billy Businessman texting or their phone in their hand a bigger threat to my safety than a casual speeder!

#13 ·
Don't speed through Virginia. Also if your state has a no tint law, Virginia can issue you a tint ticket. They also have stricter penalties. The also want to hit you with reckless driving for speeding. Just threw the tint ticket in the glove box. Haven't even looked at it yet. Most of the way down to Hilton Head Island I was being passed. I get nabbed getting out from behind a semi who was holding up traffic cruising in the left lane. Leo pulled the guy over that was passing me and waved me over too. Guess I should be happy to only get a tint ticket. But not really when that was the only time in the 12 hour ride when I pushed it a little.[/QUOTE How can they issue a tint ticket if your not from that state. What are they gonna do if you do not pay? What can they do to me (from Canada) if my windows are tinted? I am just passing through. In Canada it is legal, and the shade of darkness varies from province to province.

Attachments

#14 ·
Virginia is a little screwy with what they can do, like this one. One of my coworkers daughters got served with a warrant that another individual swore out on her, no law enforcement was even involved with the incident. The guy (old man) said she passed him in a no passing zone. He followed her to her college, got her tag number and called the law. They contacted the school to get her name to issue the warrant. What she said happened is the guy pulled out in front of her and she went to the other lane to keep from hitting him. It's a he said/she said but they have court sometime soon.

#15 ·
Virginia is a little screwy with what they can do, like this one. One of my coworkers daughters got served with a warrant that another individual swore out on her, no law enforcement was even involved with the incident. The guy (old man) said she passed him in a no passing zone. He followed her to her college, got her tag number and called the law. They contacted the school to get her name to issue the warrant. What she said happened is the guy pulled out in front of her and she went to the other lane to keep from hitting him. It's a he said/she said but they have court sometime soon.
Wow, that is really scary. Someone could just be angry, make up a story and get you in trouble with the law!! I think the whole thing should be thrown out! I don't think average citizens should be traffic cops. Would like to hear how that comes out!

#17 ·
In Virginia speeding is expensive.

Speeding Ticket Fines
Virginia is serious about curbing speed violations in the State and has introduced speeding fines that can top $3,000. More accurately, these are the fines imposed for speeding plus any reckless driving felony/misdemeanor violations you also incur.

Typically, a driver will pay $5.00 for every mph he or she is driving over the speed limit plus court fees of $62.00. Add to that the new civil penalties for Reckless Driving and you are looking at a tremendous fine! Additionally, these civil remedial fees are not one-time payments. You will be put on a scheduled payment plan where you will owe the specified amount annually:

• 3-Point Demerit Violations at $5.00 for every mph over the posted speed limit:
Speeding 1-9 mph above the posted speed limit

• 4-Point Demerit Violations at $5.00 for every mph over the posted speed limit:
Speeding 10-14 mph above the posted speed limit
Speeding 15-19 mph above the posted speed limit
Speeding 10-19 mph above the posted speed limit

• 6-Point Demerit Violations at $5.00 for every mph over the posted speed limit plus all civil remedial fees:
Reckless driving - speeding in excess of 80 mph – Misdemeanor - $350.00 for each of the following 3 years
Reckless driving - speeding in excess of 80 mph – Felony - $1000.00 for each of the following 3 years
Reckless driving - speeding 20 mph or more above the posted speed limit – Misdemeanor - $350.00 for each of the following 3 years
Reckless driving - speeding 20 mph or more above the posted speed limit – Felony - $1000.00 for each of the following 3 years
Reckless driving - driving too fast for conditions – Misdemeanor - $350.00 for each of the following 3 years
Reckless driving - driving too fast for conditions – Felony - $1000.00 for each of the following 3 years

As you can see, the harshest civil remedial fee when added to the regular fees assessed when you are issued a reckless driving – speeding in excess of 80 mph ticket will cost you $3,000 + $400 (80 x $5) + $62 (court fees) = $3,462.00. It is likely that you will have your Virginia license suspended and spend some time in jail, too.

Reactions: MIDNITE RT
#24 ·
I agree, Tim. You learn how to handle your lead foot here in Virginia. The area that the author mentioned has a lot of curves and slow turns. So he really stood out with 93 mph.

Oh, BTW, I consider Susie Teenager and Billy Businessman texting or their phone in their hand a bigger threat to my safety than a casual speeder!
I agree 100% with the texting issue!

Jayson Werth of the Washington Nationals was recently pulled for 105 in a 55 in Fairfax county. Can't wait to see how that plays out. I have my own day with judgement after Labor day. Wish me luck.
Good luck!

Don't speed through Virginia. Also if your state has a no tint law, Virginia can issue you a tint ticket. They also have stricter penalties. The also want to hit you with reckless driving for speeding. Just threw the tint ticket in the glove box. Haven't even looked at it yet. Most of the way down to Hilton Head Island I was being passed. I get nabbed getting out from behind a semi who was holding up traffic cruising in the left lane. Leo pulled the guy over that was passing me and waved me over too. Guess I should be happy to only get a tint ticket. But not really when that was the only time in the 12 hour ride when I pushed it a little.
A Pennsylvania buddy of mine got a ticket for tint on his Challenger last summer......but he wasn't speeding!

#25 ·
Speeding in NC?

Guy who wrote the article acted like he went to prison for 3 years not 3 days. What a joke. Speeding is not a joke though, Speed Kills. Side note: I have had my car almost 4 and a half years. Not one speeding ticket while driving the Challenger. And I speed every day. Just jinxed myself. I will now have to start driving no more than 5 over starting tomorrow. lol Oh yeah, isn't 20mph over the limit in North Carolina a FELONY???
Hello Steve;

Technically you are partially correct on the speeding and its limit begins at
15 mph over, but here is the law on what constitutes a speeding felony;

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/PDF/BySection/Chapter_20/GS_20-141.5.pdf

Take care everyone and evaluate your "need to speed".

Oh yeah, in my earlier years (15-20) I grew up in Northern VA> (Ft.Belvior, Mt.Vernon) and lost my license twice for speeding....

:shakehead:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.