Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do ya have it mounted? And have you subsequently switched mounting procedure or location, after having it on there one way?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
There are other long threads on this. IMO, none of the alternative mounting kits look as good as the OEM one (which I added). Also placing it lower will interfere with that round electronic thing there (accident avoidance or dimmer?)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We've got ours on with the sto-n-sho, but I'm beginning to think it looks a little outta place (admittedly I'm weird about this, and the sto-n-sho is ingenious and well made, IMO), and considering going with the OE mount. But struggling a little 'cause i realize once the little holes are drilled, they're there for good.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Also have the sto-n-sho installed, didn't take long to do but not sure if I really like it so low. The toggle bolts thru the grille I'll have to think about but definitely not drilling into the bumper.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Ohio just dropped the front plate requirement. I did use a manual folding license plate bracket that folded down and under the front air dam. I used it for car shows. Easy install. I bought it at Auto Anything but I believe they don't sell it anymore. I have seen it on eBay and I have seen it on Hide the Plate.
You can get manual or electric (much more expensive).
I gave my retractable one to my son to use on his Bimmer since he moved to Chicago.
I had mine offset more on the passenger side of the car.
Here's a Pic before removal with the plate folded under the air dam.

Plate Stowed 4-7-20 at 7.07 PM.jpg

You just pull it out, flip it up, and you're good to go and legal.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
We've got ours on with the sto-n-sho, but I'm beginning to think it looks a little outta place (admittedly I'm weird about this, and the sto-n-sho is ingenious and well made, IMO), and considering going with the OE mount. But struggling a little 'cause i realize once the little holes are drilled, they're there for good.
But there are color matching plugs available if you change your mind.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
10,100 Posts

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Mine factory mounted and drilled into the bumper.
I'm only writing 'like' because I want you know that I understand what you have. I think that, depending on the state the car is intended to be sold in, the plate holder is mounted from the factory. Mine came from a dealer in Michigan. I would hazard a guess that because it has the big impact color of the time it came without a plate mount.
As was stated above there are color matching plugs that can be used in removing the mounting. Examples I've seen here on the Z are almost indecernible.

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
9,222 Posts
New vehicle dealership arrival inspection procedures include mounting front license plate hardware. The front license plate mounting assembly is installed by the dealership tech that performs the new car arrival inspection. The dealership I go to does not install the assembly on Chargers, Challengers or any SRT model vehicles (customer approval required or the assembly is placed in the trunk). The same procedure is followed for applying the dealership decal on the rear of these models.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
@BAD GRANDPA, thanks for the clarification! My misconception at thinking that it was done at the factory depending on the state the car was being shipped to.
I'm just glad it wasn't installed on my car to begin with!

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
New vehicle dealership arrival inspection procedures include mounting front license plate hardware. The front license plate mounting assembly is installed by the dealership tech that performs the new car arrival inspection. The dealership I go to does not install the assembly on Chargers, Challengers or any SRT model vehicles (customer approval required or the assembly is placed in the trunk). The same procedure is followed for applying the dealership decal on the rear of these models.
When buying new, I always tell the dealers to remove their advertising stickers unless they want to pay me an annual $500.00 advertising allowance.

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
9,222 Posts
When buying new, I always tell the dealers to remove their advertising stickers unless they want to pay me an annual $500.00 advertising allowance.
Agree! ..It's not to bad today, the wife's hair dryer, an alcohol wipe and about tens minutes of your time and the decal is gone. In 1963 my Dad had purchased a new Chevy Impala and the dealership EMBLEM was mounted just above the tail lights on the deriver's side (chrome plated pot metal, 'Arrow Chevrolet'). Not only were there two mounting holes drilled into the trunk panel, but the emblem was mounted CROOKED!! ....:eek:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Ha. My dealer's marketing license plate lasted precisely a half mile before I removed it. Brought a nut driver along the day I took delivery just for that purpose.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Agree! ..It's not to bad today, the wife's hair dryer, an alcohol wipe and about tens minutes of your time and the decal is gone. In 1963 my Dad had purchased a new Chevy Impala and the dealership EMBLEM was mounted just above the tail lights on the deriver's side (chrome plated pot metal, 'Arrow Chevrolet'). Not only were there two mounting holes drilled into the trunk panel, but the emblem was mounted CROOKED!! ....:eek:
That would drive me crazy every day I owned it. I am OCD and I do not deal well with crooked. I just installed a HDTV on my patio against a brick backing. I made sure the TV was level but it looked crooked against the brick grout lines because they were not perfect. I had to split the difference, LOL.

·
Registered
23 Posts
When I purchased my 2018 GT AWD the dealer left the front license mounting pad in the plastic bag in the trunk. New York has a front plate requirement. Some years ago there was a proposal that it be dropped however the police organizations objected.
It had the screws for the plate in it however it did not include the screws for mounting it to the front bumper. I went to the dealer and got a couple of screws and mounted it. The bumper has small indentations where you tap the self-tapping screws. I kind of like how it looks because like on my 95 Thunderbird it acts as a buffer or pad.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts