Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have been contemplating installing a Catch Can....this might help you make up your mind. Every 2,500 miles, this sludgy, espresso-like crud comes out of the drain valve. Do you really want that going back in your engine????

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,677 Posts
Into my Hemi? Heck no! :SHOCKED:

But add a little steamed milk, and I know someone at work who would down it in one shot and ask for another! :SHOCKED::SHOCKED:

·
More Than Just A Car
20,522 Posts
For those of you who have been contemplating installing a Catch Can....this might help you make up your mind. Every 2,500 miles, this sludgy, espresso-like crud comes out of the drain valve. Do you really want that going back in your engine????

[/QUOTE

without a doubt Susie... I have filled so far about 1/3 of a small water bottle with that crud, and my truck is on its 2nd water bottle. Maybe because its a auto it's not burning up as much as the car does being a 6 spd I don't know, but I sure am called I have a catch can on both :smileup:

·
Premium Member
18,449 Posts
Susie if I didn't know what it was, I'd say you have a little slice of lemon in the black coffee.All it needs is a double shot of black Sambuca and we're good to go !
Seriously a picture is worth a thousand words. Why have that crap go back into the engine ?

·
Andy
3,906 Posts
great thread!!! I wonder though why the manufacturers wouldn't add something like this right from the start.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
I have shared this before but here it goes for what it's worth.

My now ex Brother In Law used to be a head mechanic for a very large municipality, DPW, Police Dept. etc. He got this job right out of high school. He did this job for 20 years and was then recruited by Chrysler proving grounds.

This is a really weird and long story so I am leaving out a lot here. He went to Chrysler Corp HQ and was offered the position of experimental testing for the new Hemi line several years back when they were re-introducing it back into the lineup.

As it turned out, at the same time, in NYS they repealed the age limit on becoming a Police officer which is what he always wanted to be. He turned down the offer from Chrysler and kept his head mechanic position so he could work on becoming a Police Officer. However, in the meantime he was asked by the R&D team at Chrysler if he would be willing to conduct research for them using his DPW/Police fleet (all Dodge) and the new experimental Hemi engine cars for testing products.

One of the "test products" was a catch can. They installed these cans on several Hemi powered vehicles (I remember one of them being a Police car, but at that time it was not a Charger). They ran it for 100k miles and also ran another car with the same engine and no catch can device for the same 100k miles period.

After the 100k with regular oil changes etc. they pulled those two engines and broke them down. My Brother In Law was the R&D team leader. Now at this time he was in the process of now heading to the Police Academy. Crazy story I know. In the meantime my Sister had sold their house thinking they were moving to MI. LOL

Anyway, what they found was this. The only thing the catch can "caught" was what ever happen to pass by (blow by) the pick up tube. They way it was explained to me is this. If you installed ten catch cans they would all in fact "catch" something and about the same amount no less. in addition, these engines are designed and engineered with this "problem" in mind and are done so to handle such issues.

In addition what they found was that with regular oil changes with filter of course, this part was purely, 100% marketing and zero percent functional. It was deemed a "feel good, look good, money maker".

What they had figured was that IF this part had any potential value and could or would possibly save the company any warranty related issues, it would have been worth the added expense. The mere fact that not one auto mfg installs this part from the factory should tell us all something...

As an added final detail to this odd story, my ex Brother In Law, is now the Chief of Police of my former home town. I should also note that he was very good friend with the gentleman who was in charge of R&D back then. That guy has since retired and moved back to the WNY area which is how they had become friends. For those who do not know, GM has a plant in Tonawanda, NY. This R&D guy worked there, then went on to Chrysler. My Dad is also retired from the Tonawanda engine plant... weird story I know.

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's probably true that these engines are designed to handle blow by....but just seeing this crud every 2,500 miles makes me sleep a little better at night knowing I have a little silver can to catch it..

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
I agree with the story. It probably catches some and makes a slight difference but that small amount of oil they catch is spread out over several thousand miles. I've said in other posts that a catch can is one of those things that someone that wants to get that last 1% out of their engine puts on.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
I have a friend here in town who has a Charger (Hemi), it has almost 90k, he has had a catch can since day one, literally. When he dumps it he does so into an old large pickle jar (big glass one gallon jug). It is currently not even a quarter of the way full and to be honest, it really just looks like used oil. Doesn't really have any massive clumps, no chunks etc...

Now supposedly this same guy says he is trading this car in for a Hell Cat. Time will tell. If they sell as many Hell Cats as everyone claims to be buying, the 2% target of Challenger owners will turn into 100% and they will sell 50k Hell Cats. LOL I am hoping he does though, I do know one thing, for this guy, money is NOT an issue so hopefully he follows through! He will let me drive it as he does his 09 GT500KR!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts