Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was one allen key too short, but I got it in last night and it feels great. As others have said, it's a much more solid feel than the stock shifter and looks marvelous. Getting into reverse and first seem easier, though the notchiness getting into gears is still there. I'm noticing it especially when going into 2nd. I would say it even seems more difficult now that I have a more tight, hard shifting experience as opposed to the looser feel of the stock shifter. I still find myself sometimes not getting it all the way into 2nd before I embarassingly rev and realize I'm not in a gear.

So some did suggest greasing the bearings with lithium but when I looked at the bearings on the Barton, they seemed pretty well greased up already. I'm wondering if there are other parts of the shifter that could use some grease that would help get past those "notches" more easily. I can live it with the way it is, but being the perfectionist I am and since I do love my car, I'll probably look into the next step - the synchro kit. Sounds like it will cost a pretty penny to get that installed, so it won't be anytime soon.

Just wondering what other impressions of the Barton have been, especially in regards to the tightness and 2nd gear specifically and whether people have done any after-aftermarket modifications to make it smoother and more user friendly.

Cheers!

·
Registered
787 Posts
I believe it is notchy due to the in-line clutch delay valve. I didn't notice it much on my 2011 SRT, but on my 2018 SPS I do.

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
I found with the Barton (2 different cars, 3 different transmissions), that you have to be a little more conscious on the 1-2 shift. You have to retrain almost to make the shift a straight pull. Since the centering spring makes it want to neutral out between the 3-4, it's in your head to pull too much towards the driver instead of a straight shot on 1-2. Whenever I put too much pressure towards myself 2nd is a little more difficult. Every transmission is different but this is my experience.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Oh ok CDV is done. Funny this has come up. I was talking to a mopar Mechanic the other day, asked him about the notchy 1st to 2nd, about the Barton and removal of the CDV, gave me a funny look and said you won't ever get rid of the notchy 1 to 2.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts