Impressions from first month of ownership of a Hellcat.

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Forum' started by Hajo, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Hajo

Hajo MOPAR owner since 1965. Site Supporter Level 4 Site Supporter Level 2

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    SRT Hellcat
    Color?:
    Go Mango
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    I actually love it. Some key points to start with. It can be as docile and smooth as you want it to be. Very easy to drive. But it comes with a Jekyll and Hyde personality. Very comfortable when taking a Sunday cruise. But when driving aggressively full attention must be given to everything a driver should have his eyes on.

The car when driven aggressively is brutal. I don't mean brutal in a bad sense. I mean it gets dam right mean. It can tear up the highway at the blink of an eye. Speed can build so fast that you have no idea how fast you are going. It it weren't for the G' Forces experienced while driving the driver could get a false sense of security. Don't get enamored trying to read the info center when driving aggressively. The options for a different set of gauges and the view of the boost, HP and torque aren't needed. Nice touch but I can see trying to monitor the info center as being as bad as texting while driving. The drivers eyes SHOULD be focused on the road and the surroundings. SA fighter pilots call this. One should at all time know the circumstances of the surroundings such as neighborhood you are in, blind entrances and if children are outside playing frequently. The speedometer and the Tach fall to the eyes easily so the driver can actually see straight ahead with a quick glance down to those gauges. Turning askance and leaving your eyes off the road to read the extra info center gauges, as well as flipping through them when running aggressively is just plain stupid.

I love the car. I know and understand what I have. I know where and when I can get into it aggressively.
    After owning both and R/T and an SRT and many muscle cars before, the Hellcat is in an entirely different league. It is not to be taken lightly and maybe some should not own one. I was young and I was stupid at times with my cars back in the 60s. I would not suggest anyone purchase one unless they've had experience with high performance cars beforehand. My 16 year old grandson who just got his license will never get to drive it. My Brother who is going to be 65 in October and owns a Corvette and drove both my other Challengers does not want any part of driving it for the time being. He respects the car and what it can do. I hope all who own one (and I am confident the people on these boards do) respect the car for what it is, what it can do.........good or bad. Moms and Dads don't buy one of these for your recent graduate. Not a good idea.

2. PlumShaken

PlumShaken Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2016 PCP Shaker
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack Shaker
    Color?:
    Plum Crazy
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Glad to hear it’s everything you expected and more!

FastMikeR1 and Hajo like this.
  3. MommaBetty

MommaBetty The dragstrip is open! Site Supporter Level 5 Member Relations Photo Winner! MOTM Winner! Heelz and Wheelz

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Scat Pack
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack
    Color?:
    Go Mango
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    Great read and agree with all your assessments! So glad you are enjoying your new beast!!!

4. Lyle

Lyle Active Member Site Supporter Level 5 MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger wSTP
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Pitch Black
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Nice quick review. It's a hell of car alright.

FastMikeR1 and Hajo like this.
  5. FastMikeR1

FastMikeR1 Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2016 Challenger
    Trim?:
    SRT Hellcat
    Color?:
    Go Mango
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    I do agree with you. Hellcats are mean and have to be taken seriously. Nice review. I am still amazed by the power ,you can't really know until you drive one.

ScatSRT and Hajo like this.
  6. 70barcuda

70barcuda Senior Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2014 Core SRT
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    SRT-8
    Color?:
    TorRed
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    Nice review and your right about the Hellcat being on a different level than most muscle cars. One definitely has to respect the amount of power the Hellcat has and drive it accordingly.

Hajo likes this.
  7. Dodgeguy

Dodgeguy Highway Star Site Supporter Level 1 Member Relations Photo Winner! MOTM Winner! Public Safety

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2010 Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    HEMI Orange
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Nice write up Wayne, very responsible.

ScatSRT and Hajo like this.
  8. Db2016sp

Db2016sp Member

Media:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    SRT Hellcat
    Color?:
    Go Mango
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    I agree a Hellcat should never be someone's first car or even someone's first sports car. It is capable of running high 10s with drag radials, so it is not for an inexperienced driver at all. And with the stock tires it can be dangerous, because just when you think it will surely get traction, guess again. I know not to expect traction at WOT unless you hit it from a roll. And that's if you don't manually down shift. But there's still times when I let the transmission down shift on its own, from a roll of 45-60 mph and it still breaks the tires loose. In fact I'm never quite sure if its going to hook or not. Sometimes it does, sometimes it goes sideways on me! Too many variables, like temp, road surface, speed, gear, etc. I think an article I read summed it up nicely. It said, no two times you floor it are the same because it over powers the stock tires so bad. So it's always a new experience at WOT. The good news is it's very docile if you go easy on the gas.
    In conclusion, I agree with what you said, I do however like to keep an eye on my I/C coolant temps, so I always drive with my performance pages on and the set of gauges displayed that show the important info for a HC. And that is the I/C coolant temp, Boost gauge, Intake Air Temp and Air Fuel Ratio.
    I keep an eye on my gauges, but as you said, any WOT demands all your focus ahead on the road!
    Anyway, glad you are enjoying your cat as much as I am. It's a great time to be a sports car enthusiast! ;)

9. Hammer Down

Hammer Down 801 RWHP Site Supporter Level 5 MOTM Winner! Military

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2016 Challenger
    Trim?:
    SRT Hellcat
    Color?:
    B5 Blue
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Yep, I would never let any young man borrow my car. And I think it is overly irresponsible for wealthy type parents to buy their high schooler a first car as any muscle car. You very well, may be buying their coffin. You could have the best kid. They only got to get it wrong, once. And with any high power car, getting it wrong can happen in the blink of an eye.

That said, this car can go from mellow to insane in an instant. I drove with full traction control for, at least, the first six months. I started turning it to lower levels and then eventually off. Now I turn it off when I want to play..or at the track. But normally ill just leave her in full assist. I like it when you're cruising down the highway in sixth gear and need to get around someone. You don't even have to downshift. Even at 60 or 70, sixth gear will get you by them in a hurry. And just to put it in perspective, second gear will max out at around 75mph.

I leave a light on a two lane 55mph road at a normal type accel. I look behind me as I'm settling into fifth and I'm around an 1/8th mile ahead of the next car. Its ridiculous. They are awesome and very therapeutic.

But....with great power comes great responsibility. And that's all the trims.

Db2016sp, FastMikeR1 and Hajo like this.
  10. Hajo

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    SRT Hellcat
    Color?:
    Go Mango
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    I have a suggestion for Dodge. Why not make the info center screen swivel? It would be easy enough to do. The only thing that would have to be done is leave the center where it is. Mount two swivel pins on the center of the display screen. The driver could then push gently the left had side of the screen and the screen would swivel about 1 inch in the drivers direction. When the screen pivots to that point it could lock/click into that position. They way it is now is inconvenient. The only one that is important enough to view that screen is the driver. Does no good for the passenger, what can he/she do call out numbers like Bingo? If the screen is not used when driving, a simple push of a button could unlock the screen and allow it to pivot back to its' home position. How difficult could this be? Not very imho. Just add an inch or two to the screens wiring to allow it to pivot. Heck....in my SRT the screen flipped up electrically to allow access to the CD/DVD player. I don't imagine this could be any more difficult then that. Just a suggestion. This could make it much easier and somewhat safer to view by the driver during operation.

FastMikeR1 likes this.
  11. FastMikeR1

FastMikeR1 Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2016 Challenger
    Trim?:
    SRT Hellcat
    Color?:
    Go Mango
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Send them a Email explaining that little mods,maybe they will take good note and put it in the new version. Not sure if it would be better in the SRT division or customer service.

12. THT

THT New Member

Color?:
    B5 Blue
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    Excellent view point of the car, my good friend bought one two years ago when I got my 2015 Z06 Corvette. We both have driven each others cars and have to say each are Explosive in their behavior. My Z06 has a HP gauge to the left of the tach and its almost impossible to watch it when you hit the gas hard! The Challenger has a much better ride though compared to the Vette, love my car but that is one of the reasons its for sale and I have a widebody Hellcat on order!

Hajo likes this.
  13. Hajo

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    SRT Hellcat
    Color?:
    Go Mango