Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title basically says it all. I'm currently shopping around for a gently used RT, something less than 50k miles, and in the price range that I am trying to spend(25k, I'm seeing lots and lots of fully loaded 2010's(I,e. sunroof, leather seats, navigation, aka all the features I really want lol) and a lot of base models RT's in the same price range. 2nd gens with the options I really want or either a tad bit higher in price, or higher in mileage. So my question is, what is the difference in 2010 & 2011 RT's? I know a few basic changes listed below

Steering wheel
Ram head delete
"Smiley" vs "frowney" face lower grill
Standard push button start(huge selling point for me, because coming from my 12 Charger, having to turn a key again might break my heart lol)
No sports mode for automatics in the first gen, although I'm really looking harder at 6 speeds.
Are the remote USB port in the center console there in pre 2011 models?

I see a bunch of parts for the challenger are listed as 08-14, so there wasn't much of a design change(unlike the charger which was completely overhauled).

Is the 345 hemi output the same(370-376 hp, 390 torque)?

Anyone know of can't miss deals on Challengers in the southeast? My main home is in ms(which is a horrible state for buying cars) but I travel for work, so I do not mind driving anywhere between Dallas/Ft worth, Houston, Louisiana, southern Arkansas, bama, Tenn, GA, or the panhandle of Florida to pick her up.

Thanks in advance guys.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
11,033 Posts

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
My 2010 has push button start. The newer cars have the true keyless entery, where you don't even have to use the key other than to have it in your pocket.

There is also a known issue with timing chain failures on 2010 cars with the automatic. I own one but wouldn't recommend buying one.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you're looking at automatics, be advised that there are potential problems with the 2010 Hemi 5.7 VVT and it's MDS feature related to failed timing chains. See related threads:

http://www.challengerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=82506
http://www.challengerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=99563
http://www.challengerforumz.com/showthread.php?p=910925#post910925

The issue with the timing chain seems have resolved after the 2010 model year.
Holy crap! Thanks for the links! Were any of those covered under warranty?

Also did any happen to manuals? I believe manuals don't have the MDS

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
11,033 Posts
Holy crap! Thanks for the links! Were any of those covered under warranty?

Also did any happen to manuals? I believe manuals don't have the MDS
I thnk most of them were covered under warranty because Dodges carry a 7 year/70,000 powertrain warranty. The issue seems to have been limited to the 2010 model year. Manual trans Challengers were not affected.

My recommendation is simply to stay away from 2010 automatic Challenger R/T's as a general precaution. The same issue did not affect 2010 SRT8 automatics or SE models.

·
Registered
884 Posts
They retuned the suspension in 2011 for better handling also. Motor Trend does a figure 8 test and cut a pretty big chunk off their previous time, I think around a second, I can't remember exactly. You can google it I guess.

·
"Turn on, tune in, drop out"
17,165 Posts
We just had a person report their Challenger build date of Sept/Oct 2008 and it's an 2009 RT that just got a recall letter for the timing chain recall. So include 09 auto MDS Challengers as well.

·
"Z" member since 2009
3,907 Posts
We just had a person report their Challenger build date of Sept/Oct 2008 and it's an 2009 RT that just got a recall letter for the timing chain recall. So include 09 auto MDS Challengers as well.
In this case a recall is a good thing since there is no charge to the owner to have it done. I don't know whether the replacement timing chain is improved or not. My own '09 Challenger was built in August 2009, and was during the last week of the 2009 model year production. I currently do not have a timing chain recall.

The 2011 and later Challengers have been updated with modest improvements. However, the R/T's 5.7 V8 horsepower and torque (376 hp / 410 tq w/ man., or 372 hp / 398 tq w/ auto) has stayed pretty much the same over time. Also, the computer codes were encrypted on 2011 and later Challengers, so only the 2008-2010 Challengers can be retuned by the owner.

·
Registered
884 Posts
In this case a recall is a good thing since there is no charge to the owner to have it done. I don't know whether the replacement timing chain is improved or not. My own '09 Challenger was built in August 2009, and was during the last week of the 2009 model year production. I currently do not have a timing chain recall.

The 2011 and later Challengers have been updated with modest improvements. However, the R/T's 5.7 V8 horsepower and torque (376 hp / 410 tq w/ man., or 372 hp / 398 tq w/ auto) has stayed pretty much the same over time. Also, the computer codes were encrypted on 2011 and later Challengers, so only the 2008-2010 Challengers can be retuned by the owner.
I thought you could tune the 2011's and up now. I had a copy of Mopar Now (see pic below) that did it. It's been a while and I have no current interest in doing it to my car so I don't remember the details.:4-dontknow:

·
"Z" member since 2009
3,907 Posts
I thought you could tune the 2011's and up now. I had a copy of Mopar Now (see pic below) that did it. It's been a while and I have no current interest in doing it to my car so I don't remember the details.:4-dontknow:
Mea culpa! Yes, 2011 and later engines can be re-tuned. Diablosport for one makes a tuner. Sorry for not keeping up; for a long time there was no tuner on the market for these later model years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.