Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a Valentines gift, my wife let me use some of the Tax Return money and purchase the ATAK. I ended up installing it yesterday in my driveway.

For those of you thinking of installing a Cat back by yourself, it can be done. Though I recommend finding a lift. If you can't find a lift, get all four wheels as high off the ground as you can with jack stands. I only jacked up the rear end, which made the last four clamps (especially the last two clamps) a huge PITA.

The clamps on the OEM Exhaust are 15mm deep socket, and loosened up easy enough. The next bolts were the little ones on the flange between the resonator and muffler on the driver side. This isolates that section of exhaust making it a little lighter and more manageable. After that, I unbolted the hangers for that section, except for the one welded to the bottom. That one you have to fight. Some spray on lube, a few choice words, and the section popped out.

Next was the rest of the exhaust. I used two more jack stands under the mufflers, fought the hangers again, and then pulled the exhaust out of the mid-pipes.

If I had been on a lift and had a helper, that whole process would have taken MAYBE half an hour. Just me on the driveway, it took a little over an hour.

Pulling the hangers off the OEM exhaust came next. Now, don't do like me and throw them on your workbench. Take them off one at a time and then put them on the corresponding hanger on the cat back. Otherwise you are going to have to do a little guess work on where some of them go.

After that it was as simple as putting the clamps on the expanded ends of the cat back and sliding all the pieces in to place. I again used a couple of jack stands to hold up the mufflers as I reattached the hangers. Lined everything up and then tightened it down. Like I said earlier, if you don't get the front end up, those last few clamps are hard to get at. My shoulder is still sore.

The whole process took maybe four hours. That included chasing my cat that ran out of the house, temporarily losing my socket wrench (while chasing the cat), and the wife interrupting me a couple of times.

·
Knight of the black asphalt.
8,582 Posts
Wow, kudos for Doing that in the driveway. Where is the sound clip? I'll wait for it. lol

·
Registered
13,034 Posts
Cool man! I've heard that's a pretty wicked sounding exhaust system. You should post up some sound clips or video when you get a chance, would love to hear it!

That's cool you installed it yourself right in the driveway. Sounds like you have a cool wife too which is a major plus when having a cool car. Congrats!

Reactions: El-Gato

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
I always thought the whole purpose of tax return money was for the car mod budget. lol.

Glad it all worked out for you. A few years ago, I installed a SOLO catback system on my 2013RT in my garage on jackstands/ramps. I agree, if you can get all 4 wheels in the air, the installation will go easier. I only was able to back my car up on ramps when I did mine, so the front exhaust clamps were a pita especially since I am kind on the fluffy side if you know what I mean.

Good job! will be looking for a sound clip.

Reactions: Home Theater Guy

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
Love the ATAK....would be the only cat back I'd put on my Challenger.....crazy badass sound!! Can't wait to hear it!

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
I did mine in the garage too. Luckily I have 4 jack stands, so that made it easier. I could see how those last 2 could really suck to get to if not. This is the first car I have had with exhaust hangars that just unbolted from the car. made it so much easier to take off.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
way to go, that is great put it on by yourself. I don't think I would try it now days, maybe a few years ago but not as flexable as I use to be. cant wait to hear it

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll get a sound clip as soon as I can. Now that I have driven it a couple of days, I have noticed the exhaust isn't quite as lined up as it was. I'll probably head over to the hobby shop on Saturday, check the torque values on all of the claps and see if any of the hangars are loose. After that I should be able to get a sound clip.

Quick question, my wife drives my late fathers 2006, 300C (251,800 miles on it). Wondering if my OEM Challenger exhaust will fit on her car? Anyone know?

·
Premium Member
12,626 Posts
Props for doing it yourself... I have the ATAK as well with the auto and MDS I still don't have any drone.... I love the sound...at HWY speed I can still enjoy my tunes...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts