Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installl a K&N Series 63 CAI on my 3.6L yesterday and I love the sound!

I am gettting a whistle around 3500RPM when I'm on the throttle hard. I have tied all the hose clamps and everything seems tight.

Is the whistling normal?

Thanks

brian

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,748 Posts
I would think not, sounds like an air leak some where.

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,566 Posts
Take a spray bottle with some mild soapy water and spray around all your hose connections with the engine running to see if the idle sound changes. It may not work since you report it at RPM, but it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It sounds like it is coming from the front left, right where the filter is.

I'll loosen, realign and tighten in the morning

·
Registered
29 Posts
My 09 truck (5.7 RCSB/3.92 LSD) did the same thing when I put a K&N wet filter in it. Had me wondering but I grew to like it. In my case I'm sure it's coming from the new filter itself. Whether it's from the gasket seat or from the screen I'm sure it doesn't affect the performance. It still does it to this day from mid to high range rpms. It is definitely not a vacuum leak which as you know comes from the intake via hose or gasket

·
Registered
248 Posts
my k&n does the same thing on my charger when i hit 100 mph it sings,my wife says its talking to me lol.it has done it from day 1,ive had it now for almost 3 yrs.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the all the replies! I haven't had a chance to look at the CAI today, had to drive 450 miles for work at the last minute! The good news is I saw a bump in my MPG during the trip and the CAI only whistles when I'm at WOT or very close. If I hit 3500-4000RPM with the gas pedal pressed halfway done no whistling.

I'll remove the filter tomorrow evening and loosen the hose clamps, wiggle and re-adjust everything. Should be fun in a hotel parking lot!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies! I haven't had a chance to look at the CAI, this work trip is keeping way too busy.

I won't worry too much about it, but this weekend (hopefully) I will be installing some splash guards and will look at it then.

brian

·
Registered
738 Posts
I just installed the AFE dry filter in my stock air box , and I notice the intake is just as loud as the exhaust at wot, sounds good to me lol!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I love the way it sounds and I learning to love the whistle!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've loosened, wiggled and tightened all the fasteners and the whistle is still there, so I guess it normal.

Plus at WOT I can pretend I have a super-charger!

brian

1 - 15 of 15 Posts