Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have collector/specialty car insurance on their Challenger? If so, which company and how do you like the company so far?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
3,760 Posts
Yes through Grundy so far all good.
What are the limitations, if any, in when and how much you are allowed to drive it? I've heard drive-time is somewhat limited and in the summer I like to take it to work every once in a while on nice days. I usually only put 3-4000 miles a year on it.

Reactions: Back2BackRTs

·
MOPAR Top Eliminator, Carlisle 2016
27,977 Posts
What are the limitations, if any, in when and how much you are allowed to drive it? I've heard drive-time is somewhat limited and in the summer I like to take it to work every once in a while on nice days. I usually only put 3-4000 miles a year on it.
3-4K/year is within the limits of collector car insurance. Another issue may be purpose. My Cuda insurance states, "car shows, parades" but the car is not to be used as an alternative vehicle or some such wording as that....

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
3,760 Posts
3-4K/year is within the limits of collector car insurance. Another issue may be purpose. My Cuda insurance states, "car shows, parades" but the car is not to be used as an alternative vehicle or some such wording as that....
Thanks T, when I had my older show cars that's what ruined it for me. I'd like to be able to drive on a whim to where I want to show it off and one of those places is occasionally my work. Of course that's in a small one-horse town and I'd only do it on Friday's before a weekend, but even that was taboo 30+ years ago. Maybe not so much these days. I guess I need to talk to an agent who deals in that type of insurance to see if things have stayed the same.

Reactions: boyohboy

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have my '18 RT Scat Pack along with my 69 Charger and two horseless carriages insured through Hagerty. The only restrictions are that you cannot use your car as a daily driver and it has to be garaged. I only drive these cars on weekends and to club events, however, since Covid there really aren't any club events so the wife and I usually take the Challenger out for a little exercise on Sunday, usually taking in the scenery in the local mountain canyons.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
I just went through the Hagerty application process online. It could save me more than 50% what I am paying for regular insurance now and with no restrictions that affect me at all. I'm going to run this down today and may end up switching to Hagerty. Read their qualifications - car shows and occasional pleasure driving without a specific mileage limit. It just cannot be a daily driver. The quals fit my situation.

·
Registered
78 Posts
No work or used for business. Its mostly for pleasure use only, ex car shows or cruises. since its not my DD I only put 1000-1500 miles per yr. Plus it saved me approx $1100 per yr. so for me its a win win for me.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
I'm saving about $900 per year now because doing the Allstate to Hagerty thing DROPPED the cost on our other two regular driver cars! A couple of perks too are $0 deductible on comprehensive and collision and the agreed upon value in case of a total loss. The regular Allstate insurance would have depreciated the car as just another used car. I think I done good today. Thanks for the thread!

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What I'm seeing most common is "not a daily driver, for leisure only, and the owner must have another vehicle to drive."

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
This sounds like an option worth exploring for my driving situation. Good topic @SFCR . (y)
Thanks! My Challenger falls into the requirements for both Hagerty and Grundy. What I like is the agreed value, which regular car insurance won't give. I looked at American Collector's Insurance and found they have some sort of affiliation with USAA, which we have. But, even with a USAA membership discount, their rates are expensive; double the cost of Hagerty and Grundy. I have a few concerns with regular car insurance if if gets totaled, one being I can't get another new one like it. Challenger prices are not getting any less, either.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm saving about $900 per year now because doing the Allstate to Hagerty thing DROPPED the cost on our other two regular driver cars! A couple of perks too are $0 deductible on comprehensive and collision and the agreed upon value in case of a total loss. The regular Allstate insurance would have depreciated the car as just another used car. I think I done good today. Thanks for the thread!
You're welcome and I appreciate your reply!

Reactions: Back2BackRTs

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,380 Posts

Dang, I could use mine as a DD, and STILL not put that many miles on a year.............

Reactions: Derecho

·
Premium Member
18,522 Posts
Thanks! My Challenger falls into the requirements for both Hagerty and Grundy. What I like is the agreed value, which regular car insurance won't give. I looked at American Collector's Insurance and found they have some sort of affiliation with USAA, which we have. But, even with a USAA membership discount, their rates are expensive; double the cost of Hagerty and Grundy. I have a few concerns with regular car insurance if if gets totaled, one being I can't get another new one like it. Challenger prices are not getting any less, either.
I'm going to start with those two companies. Did you happen to ask if an accident is covered if the car is driven by someone else ? Just wondering.

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus in Granite Crystal Metallic
1,878 Posts
I did agreed value with Grundy. Saved a bundle. They are very good at answering any questions. Give them a call.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts