Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
3,711 Posts
Dang, I could use mine as a DD, and STILL not put that many miles on a year.............
Not much local for us...we like to travel intrastate and cruise other places outside our local area. Suburban living is the keyword - we're close to the countryside in all directions. The cars also such a great highway car too. If I couldn't use it as much as I do I'd almost just as soon get rid of it because I like driving it so dang much. ;)

Reactions: boyohboy

·
Registered
2013 PlumCrazy R/T
1,551 Posts
So if I only drive my car to work when needed, DD in shop would I still get good rates. Garage kept probably only about 2k miles a year.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,327 Posts
Not much local for us...we like to travel intrastate and cruise other places outside our local area. Suburban living is the keyword - we're close to the countryside in all directions. The cars also such a great highway car too. If I couldn't use it as much as I do I'd almost just as soon get rid of it because I like driving it so dang much. ;)
I hear that....if I drove 10 miles per day, which is 2x as far as I need to, I'd still be under 4k/yr.

Reactions: Derecho

·
Registered
2013 PlumCrazy R/T
1,551 Posts
Just looked it up I pay $1,048 a year and spends most of time in garage. Is their enough savings to look into?

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus in Granite Crystal Metallic
1,864 Posts
Just looked it up I pay $1,048 a year and spends most of time in garage. Is their enough savings to look into?
I pay approximately $525 annually. Agreed value is $31k. No mileage limits. Usage is similar to most collector car policies. Must have another car for each driver in the house, pleasure only. A drive on a nice day is OK. Shows and car events OK. Mechanic OK. Car wash/maintenance OK. Forgot to add NO DRIVERS under 25 years of age.

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,416 Posts
When I got my daily driver a year ago, I also went through Allstate to get Hagerty... from what I recall from the conversation, I can drive 6K miles a year... and carshows/parades didn't count against that number... cut my rate in half... I am teleworking now 100% for the moment... well since last March.. both my cars are getting a break from any regular use... lol...

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,600 Posts
I'm going to start with those two companies. Did you happen to ask if an accident is covered if the car is driven by someone else ? Just wondering.
If you have a multi car discount on your policy and the Challenger is on it be aware that the discount will go away so keep that in mind when pricing. The discount probably is no where near what you could save but it is worth checking out also if you insure your house that may go up if you don't have the multi car policy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I hope I don't rain on anyone's parade but a friend of mine applied to Grundy to insure a collector car that he just acquired. He was informed today that he was turned down due to a traffic ticket for a stop sign, using his current insurance coverage on his DD for towing his car to a repair facility after it became disabled at the SF airport which cost his insurance co. $100.00 and another item listed against him was the cost of a rental car for a month while his car was being repaired after an accident, which was not his fault. In light of this, it may be best not to get road service assistance through your insurance carrier but to use AAA or other similar service not associated with your insurance carrier.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I'm going to start with those two companies. Did you happen to ask if an accident is covered if the car is driven by someone else ? Just wondering.
I'm guessing it would be if the driver is added during the application process. I just completed the online application for Grundy and I had to enter all my information as well as my wife's information, ie: driver's license number, etc.

Reactions: MIDNITE RT

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I hope I don't rain on anyone's parade but a friend of mine applied to Grundy to insure a collector car that he just acquired. He was informed today that he was turned down due to a traffic ticket for a stop sign, using his current insurance coverage on his DD for towing his car to a repair facility after it became disabled at the SF airport which cost his insurance co. $100.00 and another item listed against him was the cost of a rental car for a month while his car was being repaired after an accident, which was not his fault. In light of this, it may be best not to get road service assistance through your insurance carrier but to use AAA or other similar service not associated with your insurance carrier.
Regarding the rental car, I expect that's why they ask if you have a DD and what kind of car it is. We have two cars for DD. They don't want to pay out for a rental car if you have another car to drive. Neither one of us have any traffic citations, either. Running a stop sign is a moving violation and these are the ones that add up points quickly on your driver's license (let alone running the stop sign while towing another vehicle). Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well, the next time I get a traffic ticket for a stop sign and tow my car to a repair facility when it becomes disabled at the SF airport and have to rent a car for a month while my car is being repaired after an accident you can say "I told you so".

Just curious, did your friend get the stop sign ticket on the car he was driving or on the car being towed?

They ask if you have another car (and you have to list the year, make and model) is to satisfy them that you actually do have another car and that this is not your daily driver. In my case, they also asked if my wife has her own vehicle and they also wanted the year, make and model of that vehicle. I think they've figured out that some people will lie about having another vehicle and/or how much they intend to drive it in order to pay a lower rate.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
78 Posts
Be advised that if you have an umbrella liability insurance policy that covers all your vehicles and your home and you move your challenger to another insurance company you will loose the umbrella coverage for that vehicle. To get umbrella coverage you need to have all your assets under one policy. Just a head's up for those that it may matter.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Be advised that if you have an umbrella liability insurance policy that covers all your vehicles and your home and you move your challenger to another insurance company you will loose the umbrella coverage for that vehicle. To get umbrella coverage you need to have all your assets under one policy. Just a head's up for those that it may matter.
I'm not sure that's completely correct. Many if not most Umbrella policies are covered by 3rd party companies. Even the large insurance companies use 3rd parties.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
78 Posts
I'm not sure that's completely correct. Many if not most Umbrella policies are covered by 3rd party companies. Even the large insurance companies use 3rd parties.
I described our recent situation with The Hartford, perhaps other insurance companies deal with it differently. We just went thru this in Oct. when I bought the 20 SP. I should have more clearly or accurately stated "may" loose instead of "will" loose. Thanks for pointing that out.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I described our recent situation with The Hartford, perhaps other insurance companies deal with it differently. We just went thru this in Oct. when I bought the 20 SP. I should have more clearly or accurately stated "may" loose instead of "will" loose. Thanks for pointing that out.
I believe as long ad your auto coverage is the same, I believe the umbrella is OK. But I only play a lawyer at strip clubs.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,327 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I moved my Challenger to another company but before doing so, I checked with my insurance company that covers my other cars and home. They have allowed me to have my Challenger and collector cars on my Hagerty Policy and I still have umbrella coverage. What you advise is correct, so again check with your agent and have your insurance company underwriting dept. approve the switch to a collector car insurance company. Mine was real happy not to have to continue to insure my Challenger.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well, the next time I get a traffic ticket for a stop sign and tow my car to a repair facility when it becomes disabled at the SF airport and have to rent a car for a month while my car is being repaired after an accident you can say "I told you so".

Just curious, did your friend get the stop sign ticket on the car he was driving or on the car being towed?

They ask if you have another car (and you have to list the year, make and model) is to satisfy them that you actually do have another car and that this is not your daily driver. In my case, they also asked if my wife has her own vehicle and they also wanted the year, make and model of that vehicle. I think they've figured out that some people will lie about having another vehicle and/or how much they intend to drive it in order to pay a lower rate.
My friend received the ticket in another car, his DD while he was driving it. I just spoke to him this morning and he was able to get collector car insurance from American Collector Car Insurance Agency. They do not consider points on your license or previous claims according to my friend.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts