Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
9,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning, I decide to remove some of my engine compartment bling, and oil catch can, before my timing chain recall appointment, next week. I remove the engine cover, and notice a slight oil residue on both heads where they mate with the intake manifold. It's 17 degrees outside and 30 degrees in the garage (Yes--I'm one of the Crazies that drives his Chally all winter). OK--aluminum heads and composite intake manifold w/ an O-ring type gasget. Now I get the torque specs. & bolt sequence from the Forum's Tips & Tricks (10 each 5/16" bolts torqued to 105 in. lbs.). I was able to get at least one full turn on each bolt before reaching 105 in. lbs.
I then clean the oily area with breakclean & wipe the area clean. Next, pull fuse #2 for a minute, take the Chally for a twenty minute ride--engine temp. normal-- runs good--and no idiot lights or codes (oh yea---no damage to the intake manifold).
Hope this info. is helpful.--:4-dontknow:

Almost forgot--Thanks to the Forum 'Z' members that built & update the Tips & Tricks Site.--:smileup:

·
Registered
997 Posts
Thanks to this great site and your info.

A couple of weeks now, I've heard what sounded like a small exhaust leak on the passenger side. It ended up being a sheared manifold bolt, on the passenger side of the manifold. The dealer replaced 5 bolts and 4 studs and the gasket. All under the extended warranty, thank God.

·
Registered
636 Posts
This morning, I decide to remove some of my engine compartment bling, and oil catch can, before my timing chain recall appointment, next week. I remove the engine cover, and notice a slight oil residue on both heads where they mate with the intake manifold. It's 17 degrees outside and 30 degrees in the garage (Yes--I'm one of the Crazies that drives his Chally all winter). OK--aluminum heads and composite intake manifold w/ an O-ring type gasget. Now I get the torque specs. & bolt sequence from the Forum's Tips & Tricks (10 each 5/16" bolts torqued to 105 in. lbs.). I was able to get at least one full turn on each bolt before reaching 105 in. lbs.
I then clean the oily area with breakclean & wipe the area clean. Next, pull fuse #2 for a minute, take the Chally for a twenty minute ride--engine temp. normal-- runs good--and no idiot lights or codes (oh yea---no damage to the intake manifold).
Hope this info. is helpful.--:4-dontknow:

Almost forgot--Thanks to the Forum 'Z' members that built & update the Tips & Tricks Site.--:smileup:
On another forum there's like a 30 page thread about this issue and I believe the torque spec for the Hemi is less than 105....I think that's the torque specs for the 3.6 V6, but I could be wrong.

Anyway everyone who checked their bots found them loose or one or two turns from torque spec.

·
Registered
13,046 Posts
I'll have to check mine one day soon. Thanks for the heads up!

·
<<< Bending Time & Space >>>
16,087 Posts
On another forum there's like a 30 page thread about this issue and I believe the torque spec for the Hemi is less than 105....I think that's the torque specs for the 3.6 V6, but I could be wrong.

Anyway everyone who checked their bots found them loose or one or two turns from torque spec.
105 in pounds is the correct specification posted in the service cd.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I think I will have to check mine too now that you mention it. Although my car is not going anywhere until Spring especially with all the snow in front of my garage door.

Thanks for the reminder.

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,259 Posts
It is definitely an ongoing problem, I wish I had found this thread before I posted mine! Ry

Reactions: jklotz10
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.