Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I've been wondering if anyone on here has had any success modifying the 3.6 internally? If so what kind of modifications can be done? I'd really love to do some engine mods but don't know what parts from other mopar engines would work in mine. Maybe stroke the motor or swap cams or even swap heads(after porting & polishing) if I can. I'd also love some advice where to start. Any help you all have to offer would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that info. Still if anyone else has any advice on internal engine mods, please add to my discussion because I'd love some more input.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
1,857 Posts
Hello everyone, I've been wondering if anyone on here has had any success modifying the 3.6 internally? If so what kind of modifications can be done? I'd really love to do some engine mods but don't know what parts from other mopar engines would work in mine. Maybe stroke the motor or swap cams or even swap heads(after porting & polishing) if I can. I'd also love some advice where to start. Any help you all have to offer would be much appreciated.

What does the factory offer in the way of internal engine parts/heads intended to deliver more power from the 3.6l engine? If the factory offers anything that might be the place to start.

Check with well known MOPAR engine parts suppliers to see if they offer anything for the 3.6l engine.

Not much you can use from the 8 cylinder engines other than maybe (maybe) pistons and rods, and rods is a pretty long shot.

About all pistons can do is help one freshen up the engine maybe gain some small increase in displacement (a few cubic inches nothing to write home about) and perhaps raise the compression ratio. Oh, and offer more strength if you go with forged.

Pistons coupled with rods and a stroker crank can bump the displacement up by a good amount. There is no replacement for displacement.

If the factory doesn't have any hi-performance heads then you are faced with improving the stock heads. This in turn will require a better intake system and exhaust system and probably a cam shaft change too. So before you port the heads be sure a suitable intake and exhaust system and cam shaft exist

Unless there is a source unknown to me of the kind of parts you are looking for, embarking on an adventure to replace 3.6l engine internal engine parts in hopes of upping the 3.6l engine's output reads like a good way to turn a lot of money into a lot less money.

My advice is to listen to Joe regarding supercharging -- it can require considerable time and money to modify an engine to produce comparable hp/torque a good supercharger can provide -- or consider replacing the 3.6l engine with a 5.7l engine. For just a few thousands dollars you can pick up a considerable amount of HP/torque in a very reliable package that you *know* works. And I dare say there is almost certainly a much better selection of go faster parts for the 5.7l engine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts