1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Challenger Old Guy...
6,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iran sending warships close to US borders

Published February 08, 2014
Associated Press

A senior Iranian naval commander says his country has sent several warships to the Atlantic Ocean, close to U.S. maritime borders for the first time.

The commander of Iran's Northern Navy Fleet, Admiral Afshin Rezayee Haddad, is quoted by the official IRNA news agency as saying Saturday that the vessels have already begun the journey to the Atlantic Ocean via waters near South Africa.

"Iran's military fleet is approaching the United States' maritime borders, and this move has a message," Haddad reportedly said, according to Fars, a semi-official Iranian news agency.

Iranian officials said last month that the fleet consisted of the destroyer Sabalan and the logistic helicopter carrier Khark, which will be on a three-month mission. The ships are carrying some 30 navy academy cadets for training along with their regular crews.

Haddad says the fleet is approaching U.S. maritime borders for the first time. The Islamic Republic considers the move as a response to U.S. naval deployments near its own coastlines. The U.S. Navy's 5th fleet is based in nearby Bahrain -- across the gulf from Iran.

Iran has regularly deployed warships to the Gulf of Aden off the eastern coast of Africa to fight privacy and protect commercial ships.

It has also sent its warships to Syrian waters in recent years.

In 2012, Iran said it aims to put warships in international waters off the U.S. coast within the next few years, and extend its reach as far as Antarctica.

<Comments>
So, you want to patrol the US Coast eh? I think the Air Force should greet
you guys with say 4 or 5 of those F22's flying at MACH 1.5 (or better) and
about say 200 ft. above sea level so you guys can get a good idea of what
a very large sonic *boom* might feel (much less sound like) and these pilot
continue about every 4-5 hours or so randomly (especially at 3:00am).

They need some close quarter flight training anyway....

:D

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
11,021 Posts
The colloquial phrase "...as nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs" has officially been replaced with "...as scared sh*tless as an Iranian sailor in a crazy fool's navy"

·
Politically correct.
'09 SRT 440 HEMI
11,868 Posts
Here's a pic of Admiral Afshin Rezayee Haddad. :hah: He was overheard saying "Attention crew!...we're here!!!..I can see the U.S. mainland!!!!!... I think".

:D

Attachments

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have some oceanfront property in that region. If I see that ship off of my lot, I'm going to have to invest in a missile launching system and accidentally fall on the green go button.:shrk:

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
It seems the Iranians have not learned their lesson from Operation Praying Mantis in April 1988. The Navy sank an Iranian Frigate and damaged another in the Persian Gulf.

·
Challenger Old Guy...
6,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Video clips

It seems the Iranians have not learned their lesson from Operation Praying Mantis in April 1988. The Navy sank an Iranian Frigate and damaged another in the Persian Gulf.
Yep Garfield, a lot was going on back them with Iranians mining the straits and firing on unarmed US oil tankers...

Back in 1988, we had a US President with a strong backbone. Here is some
great video clips of the operation.

Watch Operation Praying Mantis Video

:Wow1:

Looks like time for an "instant replay"....

·
Registered
542 Posts
I keep waiting for someone to say April Fool's. That can't possibly be a legit story. I mean there are some really stupid F'in people in the world but would Iran really think they could get anywhere near the US without being blown to hell? I guess with our current president they must think they will but I wouldn't want to be on that ship. Though I'm certain they would get lost on the way...

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
That brought back some memories. The one video of the oil platform takedown had a few friends of mine, the crew of the CH-46 and the crew of the missing Cobra. I deployed in 1987 with the Cobra crew Capt. Leslie and Capt. Hill, they were found still strapped in their seats by Navy divers. The CH-46 Crew Chiefs received single mission Air Medals and the Pilots received Distinguished Flying Cross's. One of the CH-46 pilots transitioned to UH-1N's and was one of my pilots in Desert Storm, he now fly's Airbus 300's for American Airlines. To take down the oil platforms the Marine Amphibious Ready Group's trained in Louisiana on oil platforms in the Gulf of Mexico. It was requirement that each group going into the Persian Gulf be trained to take down platforms. That was an interesting few years from 1987 to 1990.

·
Premium Member
20,449 Posts
That is a bit concerning to me. The thoughts going through my mind right now would probably get me banned so I will bite my tongue.

I do have a son deployed with the US Navy in SWA at the moment.
I can understand your concern Bob. I wish him Godspeed along with the rest of our active military members.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
31,055 Posts
That is a bit concerning to me. The thoughts going through my mind right now would probably get me banned so I will bite my tongue.

I do have a son deployed with the US Navy in SWA at the moment.
I get the feeling I know what you are thinking, and my thoughts would also get me banned! Guess we will have to keep our like minded thoughts to ourselves!

·
Registered
8,516 Posts
I can understand your concern Bob. I wish him Godspeed along with the rest of our active military members.
Art, thank you for the kind words! I have, OK actually "we" have twin boys that are both serving in the US Navy. One is stateside and one as mentioned is out to sea.

I get the feeling I know what you are thinking, and my thoughts would also get me banned! Guess we will have to keep our like minded thoughts to ourselves!
Betty, I agree on keeping our thoughts to ourselves especially on social media devices. But my poor wife gets to deal with my ranting and raving, LOL!

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
That sucks.
I agree. I have my own thoughts on the Iranians and like you would most likely get banned if I were to post them here. Your son is in our prayers as well as all of our Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.