Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was thinking for the past 2 months or so.. I have a supercharged challenger GT AWD if i did a engine swap with my v6 but left the AWD components in the car would it be possible to have a AWD hellcat? I'm really considering doing this down the line when my car decides he's had enough

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anything is possible with enough time and money, i would think you will have to at least strengthen the transfer case for sure to handle the power, i know they had to do that for the grand cherokee
yea thats right they did do it for the jeep 🤔, I'm really gonna start looking into that i think that would be a monster

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Probably would require a lot of Trackhawk or Grand Cherokee components. Maybe a donor car?
My plan is to buy a wrecked hellcat with the back smashed in or side damage and just take everything i need out of it ...but getting a wrecked track hawk is actually genius because its AWD already

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have seen a Trackhawk up on a lift. there is no way in hell any of it will fit under a Challenger without major floorpan surgery or lifting the body and making it look like a ******* 4WD.
-John
hahaha i was more thinking along the lines of the engine and the connectors though

·
Registered
492 Posts
Durango runs the hellcat engine and is awd also. Switching from the v6 is going to be a pain without a donor car.
It could be done with all the options out there, might take a small fortune and a lot of time to do it. Your going to be doing a lot of hunting and trial and error work. Possible, yes. Feesable, kinda doubt it.
Are you going to do all the work yourself? How comfortable/experienced are you doing welding and fabrication?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my plan is to purchase a wrecked hellcat ..just something i want to try to do , Im not gonna do it myself i wish i could but right now all i know is its gonna cost half my soul to get it done haha

·
Registered
5 Posts
Long term goal would be to do an engine swap on my 2020 GT AWD.
Although I may just go your route with the RIPP supercharger which checks all the boxes anyway.
If I did the conversion, I would purchase a Charger AWD Hemi from the Ohio State auction (OHP patrol cars).
Dodge still makes the Charger with the Hemi in AWD form, but it is a police package (there's even a 'civi' version).
From there add a Hemi supercharger, akin to the Hellcat's and replace the PCM (if at all possible) to think it's in a Challenger.
Again, just a pipe dream as I just purchased my GT and won't F with it until the warranty is expired.

Just a newbie's thoughts.....

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Long term goal would be to do an engine swap on my 2020 GT AWD.
Although I may just go your route with the RIPP supercharger which checks all the boxes anyway.
If I did the conversion, I would purchase a Charger AWD Hemi from the Ohio State auction (OHP patrol cars).
Dodge still makes the Charger with the Hemi in AWD form, but it is a police package (there's even a 'civi' version).
From there add a Hemi supercharger, akin to the Hellcat's and replace the PCM (if at all possible) to think it's in a Challenger.
Again, just a pipe dream as I just purchased my GT and won't F with it until the warranty is expired.

Just a newbie's thoughts.....
Learn something new everyday...didn't know there was a Hemi AWD police version. I wondered if there ever was. Thanks for the info!

Reactions: Riding With Wulf

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Learn something new everyday...didn't know there was a Hemi AWD police version. I wondered if there ever was. Thanks for the info!
Yes, but it comes with the nasty old 5 speed auto because the 8 speed is too long to fit within the transmission tunnel due to the FWD spudbox hanging off the side.
-John

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
So i was thinking for the past 2 months or so.. I have a supercharged challenger GT AWD if i did a engine swap with my v6 but left the AWD components in the car would it be possible to have a AWD hellcat? I'm really considering doing this down the line when my car decides he's had enough
If you don't do it someone else will! I'm sure Dodge has a Skunk Works and just might come up with a prototype to tease us with. They might be playing with something right now. Why Not?

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Yes, but it comes with the nasty old 5 speed auto because the 8 speed is too long to fit within the transmission tunnel due to the FWD spudbox hanging off the side.
-John
Like I said, learn something new all the time!

·
Registered
492 Posts
-John
I do old cop cars. Something that puzzles me about them is the trans. Only ones ive seen are the 5 speeds. They are also column shifters. I think the shifter location is the reason dodge uses the 5 speed and not the 8 spd. Its the only conclusion i can come to. I dont think dodge has a way to have an electric shifter for the column. All i see run the cable. Also noticed the air bag systems are different. No buckle pulldowns only belt retractors are part of the airbag system. Dodge definitely changes stuff for the cop cars

·
Registered
5 Posts
If its still the nag1, that's one bulletproof trans. My 300C has 193k miles with only one recent fluid change (and the electric coupler due to an o ring leak). I've pushed that trans pretty hard, smoky burnouts, etc.
Maybe replace the electronic shifter with one from an older charger or 300?
No doubt it would be a huge job, but I think doable without much fabrication.

·
Registered
492 Posts
If its still the nag1, that's one bulletproof trans. My 300C has 193k miles with only one recent fluid change (and the electric coupler due to an o ring leak). I've pushed that trans pretty hard, smoky burnouts, etc.
Maybe replace the electronic shifter with one from an older charger or 300?
No doubt it would be a huge job, but I think doable without much fabrication.
The A8 runs the electronic shifter. Theres no cable like in the 5 speeds. Cop cars ive seen are column shifters. I think this is the reason they use the 5 spd. I switch from column to floor using the 14 charger parts. Not a big deal.
I just thought it was interesting note as THE OLD GUY was mentioning the trans being shorter. I have to think they could build an 8speed awd, just cant get a column shifter cause it requires an electronic shifter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think to answer the OP's question, a Hellcat AWD might be possible with the right combination of existing parts. May need to give up the 8 speed for the 5 speed and use a cable shifter. The front CV joints may or may not be the same size or length. And that's just the mechanical challenges. Getting the electronics to all work nicely will take professional help. The old days of throwing on a carb and distributor in a late model car are just about over. Even the dashboard is integrated with the PCM now.
In any case, it would be a hellava monster!
Especially when finished 😁

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Durango runs the hellcat engine and is awd also. Switching from the v6 is going to be a pain without a donor car.
It could be done with all the options out there, might take a small fortune and a lot of time to do it. Your going to be doing a lot of hunting and trial and error work. Possible, yes. Feesable, kinda doubt it.
Are you going to do all the work yourself? How comfortable/experienced are you doing welding and fabrication?
I was under the impression the Durango was running a 6.4.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts