Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any V6 owners get that question frequently?

I know I sure did when I first took home my SXT, aptly named "six-shooter".

It mainly it came from older gentlemen who were muscle-car enthusiasts back in their younger days. In those situations I really did not mind the questions and actually enjoyed chatting it up with them. I'd get to hear "war stories" from guys that use to own classic impalas, cudas, GTOs, monte calaros and fast-back stangs. They would tell me about how they would rebuild their engines at their parent's garage and run races with the guys from the next town over for area bragging rights. These gentlemen were often cordial and polite. Yes , they often drove family sedans, mini-vans, or "town cars" but they rightfully deserved every once of respect that could be given (by virtue of age alone). In every encounter I could recall with these gentlemen, "Is it a hemi?" was used more of a introduction to say "Hey that's a cool car! I remember when I had a ______" not "Ha ha, look at the little engine that wants to be!"

Despite those overall good encounters, I have occasionally run into asshats who right of the bat I could tell were either "fishing" for something, trying to lament over my personal choice in vehicle, or just felt like they just had to say something...anything...because they wanted a attention. Usually such people were from my age demographic or younger (generation x or y/millennials). They would say this and then promptly hop back back into their Toyota Corrollas, Honda Civics (plain-jane non-riced versions), or some type lumbering SUV or truck (usually a Suburban). I even got static from a base R/T Charger owner once while at an auto-shop; which is a rarity because most of my encounters with Charger, Challenger, Mustang owners, or even ricers, have usually been positive ones. When the R/T owner went into "aww man you shouldaa gotten en hemi" spiel, I replied "Where is your SRT?" After that the conversation abruptly ended as he sucked his teeth and drove-off.

I never got to find out what happened to his SRT or where he kept it. Oh well, first world problems I guess...

·
Business
21,128 Posts
I had a SXT and loved it. The people that I came in contact with all loved the car. But then you had the rare dumba$$ that tried to cut you down. You have an awesome car and you will run into people that have no clue. Take it with a grain of salt, and know your driving a very special car!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just remind those people your v6 is still pushing 300horses. And a a very nice ride. I had one guu say "thats not a muscle car, its only a 6banger"

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
52,998 Posts
Get it all the time with the Charger," does it have the Hemi?". I am pretty used to it by now, 4 years worth.

Reactions: dcde201057

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
Your SXT is every bit of a badass Mopar, even without a Hemi. I drive an Automatic R/T and all I get is why didn't you get an SRT? It's an Automatic??? What, you can't drive a stick???
I let it roll and leave them to their Honda Accords and MinVans.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,150 Posts
Before getting my Challenger I had an Impala SS, but even though it was a V-8, it only had a little over 300 hp. So the SXT has the same horsepower. That Impala had plenty of power. For what the Impala was, I really enjoyed that car.......until I saw the Challenger!! It wasn't just about hp. The classic muscle car look of the Challenger turns heads everyday!!

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
In dealing with people like that, many times I have found a direct stare into their eyes and dead silence, then turning and walking away has more impact and anything you could say. They have no idea what you are thinking. Don't give them the satisfaction.

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,041 Posts
This subject has been broached a couple of times here. 99.999% of the members here are TRUE Challenger lovers and whether you have a Hemi or the V6 make no bearing on their acceptance. Don't take the "Is it a Hemi?" question as deragatory, but rather as a chance to show your enthusiasm for your Challenger. There are plenty of ways to modify these cars, not just the engine. Make it your own and be proud of it!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I used to get that all the time. As well as every other muscle car wanting to race me. for the first year it didn't bother me. I enjoyed the car, and loved the gas mileage.

However, end of year 2..... I had to get an RT. lol Turns out it bothered me more then I wanted to admit. And I'm sure in 2 years, I'll have to get an SRT cause it being "only a small v8" will bother me. It's curse of being a car guy.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
This subject has been broached a couple of times here. 99.999% of the members here are TRUE Challenger lovers and whether you have a Hemi or the V6 make no bearing on their acceptance. Don't take the "Is it a Hemi?" question as deragatory, but rather as a chance to show your enthusiasm for your Challenger. There are plenty of ways to modify these cars, not just the engine. Make it your own and be proud of it!
You're absolutely right, having a Challenger is all that matters. About the only debate you are going to hear is which color is the best or prettiest, which we all know is Inferno Red Crystal Pearl! Here it comes !! :)

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,041 Posts
You're absolutely right, having a Challenger is all that matters. About the only debate you are going to hear is which color is the best or prettiest, which we all know is Inferno Red Crystal Pearl! Here it comes !! :)
What!?!? Are you Blind? B5, without a doubt!!!

Although my 2007 Ram is Inferno Red and it gets a lot of compliments!

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,041 Posts

·
MOPAR Top Eliminator, Carlisle 2016
27,847 Posts
First, 305 HP from a six cylinder isn't too shabby.....secondly, you buy the car that works for you, for whatever reason. A friend had an SXTand got tired of the questions, so he did this:

IMG_2398.JPG

BTW- B5 is the coolest color.....

·
Registered
753 Posts
Prettiest color??? I won't go there... The fastest color on the other hand is Redline Red, of course. Oh yeah, engine size means nothing. All Challengers are cool regardless!

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,644 Posts
The best answer in reply to the question Why didn't you get a Hemi/RT/SRT/stick-shift? is quite simple.

Because I got what I wanted, and I'm paying (or paid) the loan with nary a dime from you!

·
2012 RT Redline Tri Coat
3,675 Posts
Lots of good responses here for sure. I have always been in the mindset of racing counts and everything else is BS. So, to date, one of the fastest Challengers I have seen thus far was a twin turbo V6 while at Beach Bend park in Bowling Green, KY. That dude was smoking the doors off of everyone, it wasn't even close. Once you have that kind of beast, I don't really think too many people are going to question your choices.

A Challenger is Challenger.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts