Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this might be just me.... but...
Does anyone else think the fog lights are mostly useless?

I have not poked around under the SRT skirting to see if I can aim the lights or not.

My experience with fog lights are from jeeps, and they really help light road.
(I live in the boonies, look out for deer!)
Now, this could be just a height issue - given the mopars are a few inches up, and the jeep is a couple of feet....

Any ideas on replacements?
[I have several jeep catalogs with lights, but most of these will tan you] :3-smoke:

The LUMENS are probably OK, but the pattern is of no use [too low].

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Maybe your lenses are dirty? I have the R/T but I am sure your fog lamps are the same or better, ( I have the HID lights as well) and I find the fog lamps help quite a bit on the back roads around here. it's more for peripheral vision than lighting up the road, to me they do a good job of lighting up the lines on the side of the road along with whatever is on the side of the road.

I too had a jeep and the fog lamps were a lot stronger but they kind of should be. It's a Jeep. Anyway, maybe I was expecting too little from the lamps on the Challengers but they do a nice job for me. Love the separate switch to use them too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i am mainly complaining about the pattern not being forward & wide enough to be of value.
[maybe a set of daylighters....] ;)

thanks for the reply, sith lord.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nothing wrong with that at all !
[i was just wanting better "ditch lighting" than what it is providing]

side note// had a mustang owner admiring the car outside the store today.
i gave him a full car tour, we may have a convert soon :)

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
There have got to be aftermarket bulbs out there that kick butt no? Just do me a favor and don't add those blue or yellow ones you see coming at you on the highway, blinding everyone!

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
I have not poked around under the SRT skirting to see if I can aim the lights or not.
Not sure what you mean by aiming, but there is an up/down adjustment screw at the top of the lamp.

When I had my base SE, I looked at several after-market fog light kits, but it just didn't seem possible to mount them properly.

For brighter light, another option may be a higher wattage bulb.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Maybe your lenses are dirty? I have the R/T but I am sure your fog lamps are the same or better, ( I have the HID lights as well) and I find the fog lamps help quite a bit on the back roads around here. it's more for peripheral vision than lighting up the road, to me they do a good job of lighting up the lines on the side of the road along with whatever is on the side of the road.
Same here, helps with seeing lines on the road and road edges.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure what you mean by aiming, but there is an up/down adjustment screw at the top of the lamp.

When I had my base SE, I looked at several after-market fog light kits, but it just didn't seem possible to mount them properly.

For brighter light, another option may be a higher wattage bulb.
Thanks! [high/low screw was pretty much what i meant by aiming]
I'll give that a try this weekend.

[shout out to BMC - the high-flow cats came today! HOO HOO!!]

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a 2010 Challenger SE and want to install the fog lamps. I checked with my dealer and Mopar does not sell aftermarket fog lamps. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what kind to buy and where to get them? Also, how difficult is it to install them?

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T Auto
37,081 Posts
I just bought a 2010 Challenger SE and want to install the fog lamps. I checked with my dealer and Mopar does not sell aftermarket fog lamps. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what kind to buy and where to get them? Also, how difficult is it to install them?
This thread should get you started.
http://www.challengerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=50896&highlight=light+install
You can use the search function and find more info. Be sure to check into our newbie section.

·
Registered
724 Posts
They are "FOG lights"... not driving lights...

How Do Fog Lights Work?
By Steve Smith, eHow Contributing Writer
http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4885332_fog-lights-work.html

Visiblity in Fog
Fog lights are designed to reduce glare that occurs while you are driving through thick fog. When you flip on your headlights in a patch of fog, most of the light is reflected back at you from the water droplets in the cloud of fog. Water is reflective of light almost to the point of being a mirror, so whenever you turn on your headlights in a fog, you are going to receive most of the light thrown out back in your eyes. This creates a blinding patch of light in front of you.

Angling for Better Vision
The idea behind fog lights is to reduce the amount of glare thrown back at you. The fog lights are angled downward toward the road at an angle, so when you turn them on, the light is thrown across the road in front of you and not straight ahead of you, where it can be reflected back. The light is not reflected back into their eyes. This gives you some visibility of the roadway, without blinding you. The color of the lights has no bearing on their use in fog. Today, yellow or any other color is not recognized as being "better" at penetrating fog. It may have more use as a safety mechanism for oncoming traffic.

Benefits and Drawbacks

Fog lights will give you a little more visibility and reduce glare while driving down a foggy road. You will be able to see the roadway more clearly and suffer through less glare. However, some people say that these lights really don't give you an advantage. The fog lights only light up a small section of road, because they are angled and mounted lower on the vehicle. They do not give other drivers enough warning and sometimes can blind other motorists as they approach you. They also do not cut through the fog in any way. The lights themselves are the same bulbs are headlamps, LEDs or HIDs. Any yellow lights use a color filter to produce the yellow color that may reduce some of the blinding glare, which makes them appear to cut through the fog.

·
Registered
2018 Yellow R/T “ Shaker “ package with Brembo brake package 6-spd
11 Posts
I have had to adjust my fog lights up and need to adjust them again as they are still a little to low.
I use a town highway barn parking lot near my parents home and park the car facing the barn garage doors to adjust both headlight and fog light height.
Factory setting are never correct and most dealerships never check this when they do PDI ( pre delivery inspection ) inspections on new/used vehicles.
Also in my “ Brighter Headlights “ thread don’t forget to dim your dash lights as dark as you can and still read all gauges. That helps your night vision.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts