Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
2021 scatpack
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a upr billet catch can and installed it and drove it to work and back (about 40 minutes each way)for one day. I noticed that the exhaust note was muffled and I couldn't accelerate as quickly as before. I wonder if the oil catch can is causing some sort of restriction from thw crank case gas ventilation. I hit the internet and didn't find a definitive answer. Convincing arguments on both sides. But in the process I learned the 392 is port injected and that made me wonder why I would use a catch can anyway if the valves are gonna be cleaned by the fuel injectors?
Has anybody else felt like their catch can has robbed them of power? Did you go back to sock pcv set up or try a different catch can?

·
Premium Member
12,627 Posts
Catch can is only a junction between you OVC valve and the TB, no effect on the performance of the engine. I have been running catch cans sense 2008 on my first Charger.

·
Registered
2021 scatpack
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is part of the crank case ventilation system right? So if it is restricting that blow by from evacuation the block, it will cause a build up of pressure. That pressure could "push back" on the pistons? Any resistance to the piston being pushed down by ignition will affect performance.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pack
164 Posts
As long as there's no restriction in the catch can or plumbing I don't see how it can be any sort of problem. The catch can is essentially lengthening an existing pipe and putting a wide spot in it. That's all.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
1,779 Posts
The only thing I can think of is if you just screwed up the install and there's an intake leak.

Or you disturbed some sensor/sensor wiring. In any case I'd rather expect a CEL.

The crankcase could not develop enough pressure to interfere with the pistons coming down the cylinder on any stroke let alone the power stroke. You'd have blown main seals, pan gasket, valve cover gaskets before the engine was restrained by a built up of pressure in the crankcase.

Remove the catch can and return the engine to factory and then see if the behavior still exists.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
55,217 Posts
It is part of the crank case ventilation system right? So if it is restricting that blow by from evacuation the block, it will cause a build up of pressure. That pressure could "push back" on the pistons? Any resistance to the piston being pushed down by ignition will affect performance.
There is not enough pressure in the PCV system to push back pistons. You might want to check for vacuum leaks at the hose connections.

·
Registered
2021 scatpack
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As long as there's no restriction in the catch can or plumbing I don't see how it can be any sort of problem. The catch can is essentially lengthening an existing pipe and putting a wide spot in it. That's all.
And that's my concern. Maybe the filter media in this catch can is causing more restriction than the system likes? Idk.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pack
164 Posts
And that's my concern. Maybe the filter media in this catch can is causing more restriction than the system likes? Idk.
It would have to be almost completely sealed off, not just the filter media.

Reactions: Hemis N Hops

·
Registered
2021 scatpack
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to everybody for the input. I'm gonna drive around a bit today with it off and then put it back on making sure all the connections are good and see what happens.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,614 Posts
There is no way no way a catch can will cause what you are claiming it is causing.

Plain and simple.

It works on the cyclonic separator principle more than anything else.......no filter media in the normal sense of the word.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
10,241 Posts
I have a BT catch can and it doesn't have much if any filter.
There is no way no way a catch can will cause what you are claiming it is causing.

Plain and simple.

It works on the cyclonic separator principle more than anything else.......no filter media in the normal sense of the word.
I have an AAD (Advanced Auto Designs) catch-can with what looks like an aluminum brillo pad. In effect, it acts as a filter in the sense it traps condensed oil droplets evacuating from the crank case.

For the OP, a better explanation of catch-can functionality: The functionality and purpose of Oil Catch Cans. Be sure to scroll to the bottom of the initial post for possible matches to your problem.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,614 Posts
I have an AAD (Advanced Auto Designs) catch-can with what looks like an aluminum brillo pad. In effect, it acts as a filter in the sense it traps condensed oil droplets evacuating from the crank case.

To the OP, a better explanation of catch-can functionality: The functionality and purpose of Oil Catch Cans

Like I said, 'no filter media in the normal sense of the word'.....a brillo pad is not going to stop any flow or build up pressure....especially not like a normal filter media would.

It is not there to 'filter' it is there to give the oil vapors a surface to adhere to and drop out of the air flow....steel wool is used BECAUSE it does not restrict flow and provides a very large amount of surface area for the vapors to adhere to.

Reactions: Dodgeguy

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Like I said, 'no filter media in the normal sense of the word'.....a brillo pad is not going to stop any flow or build up pressure....especially not like a normal filter media would.

It is not there to 'filter' it is there to give the oil vapors a surface to adhere to and drop out of the air flow....steel wool is used BECAUSE it does not restrict flow and provides a very large amount of surface area for the vapors to adhere to.
How is a Brillo pad helping this process at all?

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,614 Posts
How is a Brillo pad helping this process at all?
The many strands of the brillo pad, or steel wool, provide a surface for the vapor to adhere to, and once they stick to it, they are no longer in the air flow....this 'scrubbing action' is how most of the larger oil droplets are removed, and the 'torturous path' the air/oil vapor takes as it passes thru the separator removes the rest.

By torturous path, I mean the air flow in thru the inlet hose into the separator head area, then it must make a 90 deg turn into the bowl area, and then another 180 deg turn back up into the head area again, then a final 90 deg turn to go out the outlet hose.

All these quick, large changes in the direction of flow will strip oil droplets/molecules out as they weigh more then the air molecules, and can't make the redirecting turns as easily, so the oil will end up on the walls of the separator bowl oir on the steel wool instead, while the air continues to flow right on out...the oil will then drip down into the bowl for collection.

Kinda like comparing our cars on a sharp turn to a much lighter corvette.....we are gonna swing out farther at the same speed due to the added mass of the car....add a couple of quick turns one after the other, and our car is not gonna be able to keep the same speed, or it's gonna get so far out of whack it's gonna leave the track (which is like the oil hitting the separator wall).

Reactions: Dodgeguy

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Some interesting posts on the subject in here..that's why I joined. I haven't installed a catch can myself yet but will do some more investigation on the matter.

Reactions: Hemis N Hops
1 - 20 of 110 Posts