Dodge Challenger Forum banner

61 - 80 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pack
164 Posts
It's not needed, just like an SRT oil filter on a non-SRT or a Hellcat air filter element on a non-Hellcat. The same with leather seats or waxing your car. Not "needed', but they makes things just a little bit better.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
All I can say there is some misinformation bouncing around in this thread. I will ask, anyone see a badly gunked up intake on a non egr engine? I’m not saying anon egr engine cant get gunked up, I’m just asking.

·
Banned
1,181 Posts
It's not needed, just like an SRT oil filter on a non-SRT or a Hellcat air filter element on a non-Hellcat. The same with leather seats or waxing your car. Not "needed', but they makes things just a little bit better.
When I asked for a new oil filter for my 345 R/T, Dodge handed me an SRT oil filter.

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
All I can say there is some misinformation bouncing around in this thread. I will ask, anyone see a badly gunked up intake on a non egr engine? I’m not saying anon egr engine cant get gunked up, I’m just asking.
Yup, all the time. The police car Hemi's have a layer of brown liquid goop coating the total inside of the intake manifold by the time they hit the 50 - 70K mile mark. BTW, EGR has nothing to do with it. The purpose of exhaust gas recirculation is to lower the peak combustion temperature under high engine load at low RPM thereby reducing oxides of nitrogen spewed in to the atmosphere. They use burned exhaust gas because it is basically inert.
One of the guys in our club has a 2015 SP challenger with 140K miles on it already. (It has a catch can.) The intake is clean with just a layer of tan sooty residue. So thin you can wipe it all off with a rag. We took a look inside before the winter when he had to replace a dead throttle body.
-John

·
Registered
2021 scatpack
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Like I said, what if I am wrong and the catch can doesn't do anything? What's the worst that can happen? I added non functional bling.
What if you are wrong and the catch can does work? What's the worst that can happen? You have a pasty hot mess.
First time I've heard Pascal's wager used for car parts.

·
Registered
2021 scatpack
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Because Joe & Sally Average will never empty them.
-John
Why not just have it drip into a larger reservoir that only needs to be changed when you change the oil. Engineers design the entire engine, I'm sure they can design a fix for Joe and Sally. And I'm sure dodge would be more than happy to pass any additional cost to us. And we would be more than happy to pay it cause, well, we buy catch cans.

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
Why not just have it drip into a larger reservoir that only needs to be changed when you change the oil. Engineers design the entire engine, I'm sure they can design a fix for Joe and Sally. And I'm sure dodge would be more than happy to pass any additional cost to us. And we would be more than happy to pay it cause, well, we buy catch cans.
Because they catch a massive amount of water vapor. During the cold weather, the stuff I drain out looks like thick watered down chocolate milk. Not a good idea to put that stuff back in the oil sump.
-John

·
Banned
1,181 Posts
50ml after 2500 miles seems expected. That oil would have been pulled-through and burned, mostly. Even if the valves don't see carbon build-up, I've changed enough catalytic converters to know that the resulting soot will lead to premature clogging. I'm sold! I'll be ordering a MOROSO can today. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,614 Posts

·
Banned
1,181 Posts
Question: Should the catch can be placed somewhere away from the engine, to aid in keeping the can cooler? How about insulating the outside of the can? A cooler can should aid with taking vaporized oil out of suspension, no?

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,614 Posts
Question: Should the catch can be placed somewhere away from the engine, to aid in keeping the can cooler? How about insulating the outside of the can? A cooler can should aid with taking vaporized oil out of suspension, no?

Yes, in theory, but the underhood temps are high enough the insulation will only keep it cool for so long.....and then you have the opposite problem...the insulation will keep what's IN the can hot longer too.

Reactions: Dodgeguy

·
Banned
1,181 Posts
Yes, in theory, but the underhood temps are high enough the insulation will only keep it cool for so long.....and then you have the opposite problem...the insulation will keep what's IN the can hot longer too.
So that mean the can should be placed near the passenger side air catcher. Maybe run a tube from the air catcher to the catch can... Is there no end to my geniusnesses? :)

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
So that mean the can should be placed near the passenger side air catcher. Maybe run a tube from the air catcher to the catch can... Is there no end to my geniusnesses? :)
Not sure about all of them but BT offers 3 mounting options. Standard mount, S mount, and fender mount.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,614 Posts
According to Dodge, the SRT filter is now the designated replacement filter for the 345 HEMI engine.
And for many years, a lesser filter was used with no problems...but they found out if they claim it is the designated filter, peopel will pay the extra cost.

My 2012 Ram has the same engine (390 hp) in it as the challenger, and the filter the dealership uses when the change the oil isn't the SRT filter......but I could pay extra to get it.

The one on my challenger sits just above and forward of the passengers side cylinder head and at the same height as the TB, and is easy to get to.....no problems with it.

The one on my Ram is just forward of the passengers cylinder head, and at the same level,...it is harder to get to, but I've change dit out in the middle of a 900 mile trip and it wasn't as hot as I thought it'd be....regular gloves were all I needed.

You can put it where you want, but I'd recommend a location that is easy to get to to clean it....I didn't do that on my Ram, and the original owner of my car didn't either...as both were a PITA to empty. The SRT tech at the dealer relocated it for me....much better now.

61 - 80 of 110 Posts