Dodge Challenger Forum banner

81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
Banned
1,181 Posts
And for many years, a lesser filter was used with no problems...but they found out if they claim it is the designated filter, peopel will pay the extra cost.

My 2012 Ram has the same engine (390 hp) in it as the challenger, and the filter the dealership uses when the change the oil isn't the SRT filter......but I could pay extra to get it.
I'm fine with the specs of the factory installed filter... though, its internal valve is less than spectacular. The SRT is a better filter.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,614 Posts
So that mean the can should be placed near the passenger side air catcher. Maybe run a tube from the air catcher to the catch can... Is there no end to my geniusnesses? :)
I'm fine with the specs of the factory installed filter... though, its internal valve is less than spectacular. The SRT is a better filter.

Don't disagree....just feel the decision to specify the SRT version is partly due to the cost.

And on your pics above......keep in mind you will need to get to this thing to remove the bottom (spins off) and clean it....those locations look less than ideal unless you plan on disconnecting it from the bracket then lifting it out for cleaning, and if so, make sure you have slack in the hoses.

Here's a quick pic of where mine sits.....(ignore the water, she just got a quick bath & rinse)

·
Banned
1,181 Posts
Don't disagree....just feel the decision to specify the SRT version is partly due to the cost.

And on your pics above......keep in mind you will need to get to this thing to remove the bottom (spins off) and clean it....those locations look less than ideal unless you plan on disconnecting it from the bracket then lifting it out for cleaning, and if so, make sure you have slack in the hoses.

Here's a quick pic of where mine sits.....(ignore the water, she just got a quick bath & rinse)
View attachment 272353
The MOROSO has a drain valve on the bottom, but I get what you're saying. It looks better sitting next to the engine, for sure. Come to think of it, the MOROSO can might be too large to fit near the washer fluid bottle... not sure?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
My BT doesn't have a drain and I would argue getting under there with a second container with your hand to catch the oil that comes out of the drain (with your other hand?) is harder than just unscrewing the bowel and looking inside it when removed. I don't need or want to drain it into another container that would be more messy and very difficult getting to. I would think under there with the drain tube and a cup would be more difficult that just unscrewing the bowl? Consider simplicity and user friendliness. At first I liked the idea on the drain tube until I thought it threw. Maybe I am wrong?

·
Banned
1,181 Posts

The reason why the factory doesn't install a catch-can, is because the gubmint wants the oil burned in the combustion chamber vs re-processing used oil.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
55,217 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Years ago, I ran a screen print shop in CA. We cleaned our old ink cans, then threw them in the trash. We got inspected. They found the old cans (95% clean) in our trash and fined us. I asked them how to dispose of them. They said to leave them open outside for a few days and they will be solid and can be put in the trash. I asked them about making the VOC's airborne. They said, not their department. That was another department. They didn't care.

·
Premium Member
19,091 Posts
The MOROSO has a drain valve on the bottom, but I get what you're saying. It looks better sitting next to the engine, for sure. Come to think of it, the MOROSO can might be too large to fit near the washer fluid bottle... not sure?
I was looking for this. I've had one on my R/T for 10 years and its very easy to drain.I put a rag below the CC,open the drain and use a small plastic throw away cup.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Like I said, what if I am wrong and the catch can doesn't do anything? What's the worst that can happen? I added non functional bling.
What if you are wrong and the catch can does work? What's the worst that can happen? You have a pasty hot mess.
Oh nooooo....not the "...pasty hot mess." I've seen a few and they are nasty!

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Yup, all the time. The police car Hemi's have a layer of brown liquid goop coating the total inside of the intake manifold by the time they hit the 50 - 70K mile mark. BTW, EGR has nothing to do with it. The purpose of exhaust gas recirculation is to lower the peak combustion temperature under high engine load at low RPM thereby reducing oxides of nitrogen spewed in to the atmosphere. They use burned exhaust gas because it is basically inert.
One of the guys in our club has a 2015 SP challenger with 140K miles on it already. (It has a catch can.) The intake is clean with just a layer of tan sooty residue. So thin you can wipe it all off with a rag. We took a look inside before the winter when he had to replace a dead throttle body.
-John
We see that in the Chargers when they come in for repairs as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It is part of the crank case ventilation system right? So if it is restricting that blow by from evacuation the block, it will cause a build up of pressure. That pressure could "push back" on the pistons? Any resistance to the piston being pushed down by ignition will affect performance.
It would blow out seals first, no chance of that minor pressure having an effect on combustion pressures

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,614 Posts
It would blow out seals first, no chance of that minor pressure having an effect on combustion pressures

Kinda like claiming your farts can stop a tornado from spinning.....................

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
55,217 Posts
I do know a collapsed hose will set off a CEL, I saw this happen to an SRT 8 at Spring Festival in 2012. I took the owner to a car parts store for a replacement. It was a BT can with their braided hose.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,614 Posts
Reactions: smokey25
81 - 100 of 110 Posts