Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was talking to my neighbor who keeps up on the latest info in the automotive world (plus he owns this very suhweeeeeeeet 56 Chevy) and we spoke of my upcoming purchase. It was then that he said "get it quick" as it seems Chrysler is dropping the Challenger. He said he's hearing that the Challenger has a strong chance of being discontinued after 2015. Not being completely sold on his word, I started checking here on the forum and on the interweb.

So, in 2012, this article was published...
http://www.motortrend.com/future/future_vehicles/1204_chrysler_cuda_to_replace_dodge_challenger/

Then there was this article from allpar.com from a few days ago...
http://www.allpar.com/model/upcoming.html

As you can tell, the future of the Challenger appears to be up in the air. Just searching to see if the Chally is going to be discontinued will bring up a myriad of articles.

Is there anyone on this forum that can speak with any confidence about this?

·
Registered
23,118 Posts
I'd say they are pretty committed to at least the next three years. The 2015-2017 model is getting a lot of press due to a redesigned floor plan that will allow the use of the eight speed transmission. So I don't think the Challenger will be going anywhere for at least the next three years.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
58,911 Posts
They have also upgraded the interior and probably electronics, I think it is here for a few more years.

·
Registered
877 Posts
While I have to admit the days of the V8 gasoline are numbered there are other alternatives out there. For those us who were fortunate enough to have lived thru the muscle car era, did you ever think that you would ever be able to have a solid 12 second car that started in any weather, ran reliably, get acceptable fuel mileage and idled quietly and smoothly @ 600RPMs?

Because to us, and that time, such a level of performance required a rip-snorting big block with a solid lifter cam that wouldn't idle below 1800 RPMs, dual carbs that needed constant tweeking stuffed into a car that shook, rattled and leaked.

Now imagine for a minute being able to keep the looks and size of our cars, up the fuel mileage into the low 30s and have way over 600ft-lbs of torque on tap under the hood. As blasphemous as it sounds a small turbo diesel fits the bill perfectly. Anybody remember the Audi R10 TDI that dominated the Le Mans LMP1 series until it was banned?

Anyway as odd (or evolutionary) as it sounds the diesel will be the performance engine of the future. GM is releasing a new 4.5L Duramax turbo-diesel in their trucks next year that is producing 310 horsepower and 520 lb-ft of torque while increasing fuel efficiency over 25% over a gas engine (in a heavier truck!).

Think about that for a minute. 50 lb-ft of torque more than an SRT8 and your fuel mileage increases from a rated 23MPG to right at 30MPG and probably more give the lighter weight and aerodynamics of the Challenger.

I'll just leave this here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq8DNj0u07k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQHtu_jp5p4

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, what about the possibility that Chrysler would drop/rebadge the Challenger as a Cuda?

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
58,911 Posts
Well, what about the possibility that Chrysler would drop/rebadge the Challenger as a Cuda?
That will not happen, the name is not available also Chrysler SRT boss said no to that happening.

·
"Turn on, tune in, drop out"
17,165 Posts
It would be nice to see them end the run. There are so many around here the Challenger brand has been watered down. It' become just another car on the road at least in FL.

·
Registered
75 Posts
It would be nice to see them end the run. There are so many around here the Challenger brand has been watered down. It' become just another car on the road at least in FL.
I actually agree with this. The sooner the better in my eyes.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Although I don't actually know the sales figures in Ohio, I don't see nearly as many Challengers in the NE Ohio area as I would have thought.

But it is a little heartbreaker when I see a young female tooling around in a nice (albeit plain looking) silver Challenger (V6 probably due to the lack of R/T badging) while I wonder where I'm going to juggle finances for mine.... but I digress. :i_rolleyes:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not that I have anything against them but I would think the Charger is the one that needs a update or a change... how long have they been out? 7-8 years...
If you look at the second link from allpar.com, their article makes mention of changes that appear to be scheduled for the Charger. But I do like the newest body style a lot more than when it first came out in 06. It will be interesting to see what they decide for the Charger.

·
Here Comes Trouble!
1,631 Posts
I don't see a business case to rework the Challenger for 2015 as well as the work on the Hellcat just to drop it one year later. It's a huge amount of money to spend with little chance of actually recouping anything I admit they could drop the Challenger after 2015, but that indicates a lot of financial missteps and poor planning. Then again, there's been that too in the past...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.