Is this a good deal for an RT plus?

Discussion in 'Prospective Buyers - Question and Answer Forum' started by konatown, Jan 9, 2017.

1. konatown

konatown New Member

Vehicle?:
    rt
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T Plus
    Color?:
    Bright White
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    Hello!

I am thinking of getting my first muscle car, or first American vehicle at that.
    All I have owned is Mercedes, BMW, Land Rover and Volkswagen, all European. I love the way they drive. However I've been tired of the European problems. Lots have been covered by warranty, but I've been hit with a few big bills lately on vehicles I take care of, so the factory lifetime warranty from dodge is really reaching out to me. I plan on driving 30k per year and keeping this car for ten years, so it makes sense to me.

I have found a 2016 Challenger RT Plus. Sticker is 39,595. They have discounted it to 34,495.
    It is the color I want, and has the red nappa leather.
    Price includes:
    RT Plus Hemi etc. @ 3000
    Sound group II Alpine system @ 795
    Super track pack @ 695
    8 speed auto trans @ 1400
    Unconnect 8.4 nav (worthless to me) @ 695

For 34k and change, stupid dealer fee, other fees and and interest rate I'm ok with, I am also getting about 500-1000 more for my trade than I was expecting the dealer to do. That was a fight but it's something.

I actually tried really hard to lower the price slightly more (it's a 2016 guys...and it's Jan 2017) and tried to squeeze the interest down a little bit. They will not budge.. I walked away and told them to let me know if they change their mind and want to sell off a '16, and surprisingly haven't even gotten a phone call in two days. My feeling is they actually have no more room to come down.

My question to you. Is this a deal worth striking at, for the car I want. If this is not a killer deal is it even an ok deal? Thank you so much! I do want to join the challenger club.

2. Dodgeguy

Dodgeguy Highway Star Site Supporter Level 1 Member Relations Photo Winner! MOTM Winner! Public Safety

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2010 Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    HEMI Orange
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Actually sounds like a reasonable price, how much for the lifetime warranty?

3. MommaBetty

MommaBetty The Bee is out of hibernation! Site Supporter Level 5 Member Relations Photo Winner! MOTM Winner! Heelz and Wheelz

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Scat Pack
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack
    Color?:
    Go Mango
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    In March of 2013 I took delivery of an R/T plus very similar to the above, although it didn't have nav. The newer R/T's have a few more bells & whistles. My price was $36,675, but my trade allowance was generous. As you can see the sticker price has gone up quite a bit since 2013. I would say that is a fair deal. Only you can make the ultimate decision.

4. Shanes13

Shanes13 Slower Traffic Keep Right Site Supporter Level 3 MOTM Winner! Military

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2016 Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack
    Color?:
    Go Mango
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Welcome to the site! Sounds like a good deal... especially if it is equipped with what you want...

5. konatown

konatown New Member

Vehicle?:
    rt
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T Plus
    Color?:
    Bright White
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    Thanks for the replies. I do want to add the only reason I walked was because they had lied about some numbers, I gave social and got to finance and caught what they did. After asking them to honor the 1k, they refused for about an hour. So I left to think it over.

So the warranty question...that was going to be my next.
    I live in Florida and 3 dealers ive spoken to say 3,700. I know how to get it from a dealer out of state and the lowest I've seen is 2,100. When I told them to remove the gap and lifetime warranty (after I had accidentally already told them I was adding it) and they came up with this story that if I'm caught buying in Florida and adding warranty out of state, they will not honor it and I'm out. Is this true information in any way?

If any of this is against the forum rules, please let me know. I only am discussing what I've read in a different vehicles forum.

6. Dodgeguy

Dodgeguy Highway Star Site Supporter Level 1 Member Relations Photo Winner! MOTM Winner! Public Safety

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2010 Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    HEMI Orange
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    People here have bought the factory warranty out of state without issue in the past, I don't think anything has changed but I don't know.

7. konatown

konatown New Member

Vehicle?:
    rt
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T Plus
    Color?:
    Bright White
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    Yeah. My guess is that it was a scare tactic. But I definitely do want my bases covered.

8. Shanes13

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2016 Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack
    Color?:
    Go Mango
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Call or chat directly with Dodge... ask them the question about the warranty...

9. konatown

konatown New Member

Vehicle?:
    rt
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T Plus
    Color?:
    Bright White
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    So... you just gave me a revelation. If I buy the warranty from dodge, I'm basically buying it from out of state ? How can that be denied.

10. konatown

konatown New Member

Vehicle?:
    rt
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T Plus
    Color?:
    Bright White
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    Also, if I live in a 7 percent tax county, and I'm buying it in a 6 percent tax county, what should I be charged?

Originally it was 6, then at the end they upped it to 7 percent which added a bit. Are they pocketing that or is that legally what I have to pay?

11. Bercilak

Bercilak Member Site Supporter Level 2

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2016 Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Plus
    Color?:
    Pitch Black
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    It sounds like a good price, but the dealer sounds shady. Proceed with caution.

Also, I think you're expecting a bit much from that car if you plan to drive it 30k miles per year for ten years. 300k miles is a lot of miles for any car.

Good luck and keep us posted.

konatown likes this.
  12. Shanes13

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2016 Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack
    Color?:
    Go Mango
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Dealers can be squirrelly for sure.... I told them to leave their dealer sticker off the back of my car (I ordered mine)... Sales manager before I left gave me puppy dog eyes and said "I sure would like to see the (dealer) sticker on the rear bumper, when I see that I know it was purchased here and it goes to the front of the service line"... That kind of made me mad... first come first served and all... I am sure it was BS anyway... but it doesn't matter, I always wait on my car when I have simple service done.... and I linger near the service bay doors... hahahahaaha

Dodgeguy, konatown and MommaBetty like this.
  13. Shanes13

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2016 Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack
    Color?:
    Go Mango
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Wow that is a weird tax situation... hard to say... might want to call the DMV on that...

14. konatown

konatown New Member

Vehicle?:
    rt
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T Plus
    Color?:
    Bright White
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    Shady for sure, all night long. But if I play my cards right, I want a deal.

And I understand and the miles..and I'm expecting the worst, whether it's the miles or the time.. which is why I would like to invest in the warranty.

I've researched a lot and this warranty only works in the favor of people like me who plan on not trading in or drive a lot of miles. Even 150k in, I'd imagine it'll pay for itself. But 7, 8, 9 or more years from now, with all those miles, if the vehicle is worth 4K and the engine swap is 5k, they'll cut me a check for the 4K and say see ya later. That right there paid for the warranty and then some. If all goes well I buy a new challenger.

15. jazonknight

jazonknight New Member

Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Plus
    Color?:
    Billet Silver Metallic
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    i got an RT plus with sunroof, sound group 1, stp, black top package, driver convience package and six speed. 37500 Out the door. Had 45 miles on it when i picked it up! That was with summer, usaa incentatives and affiate code 1 %.

But its missing the technology package it sounds like if its automatic.

i thought car tax was 6.25% maybe thats just texas. I always work with out the door prices when talking to a dealer. always hate hearing the 1600 extra for taxes and etc.

Btw you can get life time for about 2700 with 100 dedup http://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/
    dealer i talked too wanted an extra grand for some thing thats cheaper online. My parents got one too but they got theirs earily with 0 dedup being really cheap.

If your a heavy driver i can't see why lifetime doesnt last at least 10 years. just look at blue book value of a 09 challenger with 150k miles on it to get an idea or whatever miles you expect.

16. Flatlandschallenger

Flatlandschallenger Member Site Supporter Level 1

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2015 Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack
    Color?:
    Granite Crystal
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    I don't see how they couldn't honor it. What if you moved to a different state. What suddenly your warranty is no good? The dealer probably gets a sizeable kick back from the warranty sales and perhaps a special deal thru dodge on warranty work done under the plan.

17. Flatlandschallenger

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2015 Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack
    Color?:
    Granite Crystal
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    I'd question some of the dealer fees. My dealer wanted to charge for door edge guards, nitrogen filled tires, paint protection and other blah blah blah. Told them they can keep it. They took it off the price in the end after haggling about it.

18. Flatlandschallenger

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2015 Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack
    Color?:
    Granite Crystal
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    Oh and some charge a detailing fee. Haha that one's hilarious. No dealer car wash is worth anything, it should be a courtesy at best. Honestly the least they touch the car the better.

konatown likes this.
  19. wvhemis

wvhemis Well-Known Member Site Supporter Level 5 MOTM Winner! Military

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Shaker Edition
    Color?:
    Plum Crazy
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    Sounds like a fair deal. They made 16's until October this year so this may not be that old to the dealer. The warranty stuff is all BS I bought my car in MD and I live in WV. I have the 7/100,000 and have had no issues. Good Luck with you quest and welcome to the Z from WV....

20. konatown

konatown New Member

Vehicle?:
    rt
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T Plus
    Color?:
    Bright White
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    Oh you're so right about all those fees. We came down to this price, this rate and for this many months and they were still 30 bucks higher a month? How? It must be stupid things added that aren't yet on the paperwork. I feel a 'real' detail and full tank are non negotiable, I remember getting dealers to throw in tint etc and nowadays it's like don't even touch my car and just let me have it for a fair price.

Their wash will just scratch it up anyway.

All in all the price seems fair I guess from the replies I've seen. I only want to take a 16 off their hands for a fair deal. I'd rather have a 17 destroyer grey to be honest. But I'm looking at leather, radio and touch screen etc. for the same price as a color.. I feel like that is smarter, at least for me.