Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed two issues on my current 2018 GT (35 k miles).
1- my mpg is much lower than my previous '11 SE and '18 GT. I'm getting anywhere from 18 to 19.5 mpg
2- Once I'm over 40 mph the car has a slight vibration/hesitation to it.

Not sure if with the two are related. When I get on the highway and punch it the car does zoom. Acceleration isn't really an issue. Whatever the problem is it just ruins the smooth driving experience I'm used to with a Challenger. The sad thing is, unlike my other cars, this one was purchased used. And after the fact I found out the car suffered front end damage with the original owner. I am planning on bringing it in for a lube/oil/filter, tire rotation, and a 40k check up. I'm hoping this auto enema will set things right. But after finding out it got hit up front ("minor" according to Car Fax) I don't know what to think.

Any thoughts or recommendations.....Thanks

·
Registered
2011 SXT Canadian Built Challenger
615 Posts
An AWD is aka 4 Wheel drive its millage is not going to be better then a 2 wd Also with a 2018 should still be a warranty on the car drive train....

·
Registered
18 Posts
1- my mpg is much lower than my previous '11 SE and '18 GT. I'm getting anywhere from 18 to 19.5 mpg

Not sure if with the two are related. When I get on the highway and punch it the car does zoom. Acceleration isn't really an issue. Whatever the problem is it just ruins the smooth driving experience I'm used to with a Challenger. The sad thing is, unlike my other cars, this one was purchased used. And after the fact I found out the car suffered front end damage with the original owner. I am planning on bringing it in for a lube/oil/filter, tire rotation, and a 40k check up. I'm hoping this auto enema will set things right. But after finding out it got hit up front ("minor" according to Car Fax) I don't know what to think.

I've been getting just over 20 MPG mixed city/highway using 87 regular usually from Shell since I apply my Stop n Shop points. Sometime soon I'll try the 89 octane to see how the MPG is.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Yeah, that is low, cold temps keeps on the AWD, we lose 5 mpg Imperial on the highway in Winter. We get 20 Imperial mpg in town in the dead of winter, a lot of command starts and warm ups. We gained a couple of mpg crossing 50K, towing probably helped. We get 35 mpg Imperial Highway at about 70 mph. Towing, we still almost get 25 mpg. The hesitation is probably related to the 8 spd trans, put it in sport mode, I bet it goes away. May I ask, why you got rid of your other AWD or do you own two?

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
1,657 Posts

With a used car you have to think about the car's condition. That is the engine air filter (and cabin air filter), fuel filter, plugs even. With a used car you don't know what the previous owner may have done or not done to the car.

Vibration and hesitation are at least in my experience different, and distinctly so, things.

For vibration over 40mph and for vibration that persists beyond what may arise from tires taking a set when parked hot and then cooling down this can be due to tire imbalance. Even if the tires were correctly balanced when new as they wear they can go out of balance.

Let me add that you want to be sure the tires are properly inflated. With other cars I have found just several PSI over what the factory called for can result in a mild vibration at higher speeds.

Tire or wheel damage can account for the vibration. You will have to give each wheel/tire a careful check for any signs of damage.

Also, accident damage may be responsible. Every accident is claimed to be"minor" but this is not always the case. With AWD overlooked front end damage can have some suspension/steering/drive train component bent.

This can be harder to determine so you want to eliminate the other more easily checked possible explanations first.

For hesitation that can be explained by dirty engine air filter, plugs, wrong/bad gasoline, intake air leak. (IIRC at least one Dodge engine can experience loose intake bolts.)

If the hesitation is accompanied by a CEL the error codes can be helpful in helping one know what to suspect.

If the hesitation doesn't have the CEL on and the filters/plugs are ok the engine might just be in need of a dose (or two) of Techron. I switched my cars -- not Dodges but another brand -- from Shell V-Power to Chevron Supreme and one car's engine perked up quite noticeably after not even one tank of Supreme. The Techron made a difference. The flip side is the other engine didn't manifest any changes for the good or the bad when I made the switch.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
754 Posts
Yeah, that is low, cold temps keeps on the AWD, we lose 5 mpg Imperial on the highway in Winter. We get 20 Imperial mpg in town in the dead of winter, a lot of command starts and warm ups. We gained a couple of mpg crossing 50K, towing probably helped. We get 35 mpg Imperial Highway at about 70 mph. Towing, we still almost get 25 mpg. The hesitation is probably related to the 8 spd trans, put it in sport mode, I bet it goes away. May I ask, why you got rid of your other AWD or do you own two?
That is the only thing I can not seem to find on my Wife's 2020 G/T is a place to set the AWD. It just does it like my Jeep Cherokee does in "Auto" mode. (My Jeep has a dial for "Auto" "Snow" "Sport and "Mud/Sand".)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With a used car you have to think about the car's condition. That is the engine air filter (and cabin air filter), fuel filter, plugs even. With a used car you don't know what the previous owner may have done or not done to the car.

Vibration and hesitation are at least in my experience different, and distinctly so, things.

For vibration over 40mph and for vibration that persists beyond what may arise from tires taking a set when parked hot and then cooling down this can be due to tire imbalance. Even if the tires were correctly balanced when new as they wear they can go out of balance.

Let me add that you want to be sure the tires are properly inflated. With other cars I have found just several PSI over what the factory called for can result in a mild vibration at higher speeds.

Tire or wheel damage can account for the vibration. You will have to give each wheel/tire a careful check for any signs of damage.

Also, accident damage may be responsible. Every accident is claimed to be"minor" but this is not always the case. With AWD overlooked front end damage can have some suspension/steering/drive train component bent.

This can be harder to determine so you want to eliminate the other more easily checked possible explanations first.

For hesitation that can be explained by dirty engine air filter, plugs, wrong/bad gasoline, intake air leak. (IIRC at least one Dodge engine can experience loose intake bolts.)

If the hesitation is accompanied by a CEL the error codes can be helpful in helping one know what to suspect.

If the hesitation doesn't have the CEL on and the filters/plugs are ok the engine might just be in need of a dose (or two) of Techron. I switched my cars -- not Dodges but another brand -- from Shell V-Power to Chevron Supreme and one car's engine perked up quite noticeably after not even one tank of Supreme. The Techron made a difference. The flip side is the other engine didn't manifest any changes for the good or the bad when I made the switch.
....Thanks for the info!! Very helpful! I'm setting up an appointment. Included I'm going to have them look at the tires/rotate them...balance them if need be. I'm also asking for a 40k tune up (although not quite at 40k yet).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I first owned an '11 SE (...huge mistake trading it in!). Then bought my "original" '18 GT. It got hit/insurance company wrote it off. I then purchased another '18 GT. Unlike my first two Challengers, this one I purchased used. It's ok, but as mentioned there's something not quite right with ride quality and my mpg is significantly lower than my previous GT. (I'm scheduling a visit to an authorized dealer. Hope whatever it is, is minor)

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger GT 4WD Plus Package, Leather, BlackTop,Nav, SunRoof, SuperTrac.
32 Posts
You can also have the Alignment checked and probably have the alignment done. Especially since you said it had a front 'issue'. Is the car pulling, even slightly to a side?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts