Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a few forum members who have expressed interest in the newly purchased historical vintage Drive-in that I've talked about a few times on here and posted some pictures of it along with a few of our Challengers a couple of years ago before it shut down. Well the two Mopar guys who bought it finally opened it up Thursday night for a "private party" in which several Mopar guys and their families and others were invited to. It began at 5:00 even though food for the full menu was not all available and some of the neon lights weren't working yet. There were however 13 different kinds of hamburgers and fries and ice cream, shakes, and of course rootbeer floats that were served by 10 car hops with pink poodle skirts, black and white dotted blouses and little black and pink hats. The belts they wore were actually seat belts.
Well, by the time we got there at 6:15 with the Challenger there were over 500 people, about 100 cars, and only one double park spot left. John and Dennis the owners gave everyone all the burgers and fries, shakes and floats, for free all night long til past midnight. The old 50's Juke Box was playin nothin but 50's and 60's rock and roll inside and outside and John and Dennis had smiles on their faces from ear to ear all night long as so many came up to congratulate them and thank them for bringing back one of the famous iconic old time Drive-ins.
The next night, Friday, which was grand opening night saw something I've never seen before and I'd been hanging out there from back in it's hay day when I was just 17. It was estimated that there were over 1,500 people in the parking lot alone. Five cooks and 23 car hops could not keep up with the orders. People were parked up to 3 blocks away. It was absolutely crazy to say the least !! Some of the car hops had on roller skates and a couple would skate back and forth up and down the sidewalk waving to cars and trucks as they slowly passed by. Semi-trucks were blasting their horns as they passed by as well. It was like a circus for Pete's sake and we were all beside ourselves. All I can say is that it was an absolute blast as well as a "Blast from the Past" WOW !! Here are a few pictures from the small private party on Thursday..Hope you like them. These are just a few. If you'd like to read more about it you can check out Face Book and also search the Times newspaper of Northwest Indiana on line. Hope you enjoyed it...Dave. :wavey:

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,687 Posts
Was the movie Vanishing Point?

Looks really cool. Glad everyone had a blast. What a great way to spend a summer evening. :smileup:
:rep:

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's a couple more. This first one is one of the neon signs in the window

And of course the 50's juke box that actually plays 45 rpm records.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was the movie Vanishing Point?

Looks really cool. Glad everyone had a blast. What a great way to spend a summer evening. :smileup:
:rep:
Thanks John. By the way we're planning on coming out there for a few days in Sept to hit Cruisin Grand in Escondido. Will let you know exactly when as it gets closer. Maybe we can meet up...:smileup:
That in my humble opinion is the best cruise night in the country !!

·
Longing for spring
2,215 Posts
WOW....i would love to have my lunch at that place, very cool :smileup::smileup::smileup:

·
12,990 Posts
Great pictures!! Thanks for sharing. Rep points coming.

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
9,055 Posts
Thanks for posting. Photos are great.-:D What a shame the drive-thru replaced the Drive-In. -:shakehead:

·
Challenger Old Guy...
6,527 Posts
Hot Rod De'ju Vu

Impressive... Most Impressive!

Truly, the [muscle car] Force is with them.

:smileup:

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,479 Posts
Awesome pictures, and awesome place Dave!! Would love to visit someday. Just makes me want to sit down this morning and watch American Graffiti all over again!!

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,566 Posts
This looks like my kind of place! Thanks for sharing this, Dave! :smileup::smileup::smileup::smileup:

·
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,479 Posts
Aw yesssss.....popped American Graffiti in the DVD, "Runaway" is playing, everyone is cruising around, cool pics of Mel's Drive-In, the Wolfman is on the radio...........and now the trip down memory lane. Thanks again Dave.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Aw yesssss.....popped American Graffiti in the DVD, "Runaway" is playing, everyone is cruising around, cool pics of Mel's Drive-In, the Wolfman is on the radio...........and now the trip down memory lane. Thanks again Dave.
There you go Betty - Check out the mural on the back wall with John Milner talking to Ron Howard next to his coupe. And notice what the coat rack is made out of.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've been following them on Facebook...happy to see the pictures. It sure looks cool! I think a drive down from Chicago is in order. :)

·
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,479 Posts
There you go Betty - Check out the mural on the back wall with John Milner talking to Ron Howard next to his coupe. And notice what the coat rack is made out of.
Very nice! As I am watching American Graffiti this morning, I am always struck by the fact that I pick up on some new cool line or part of the movie that I missed the many other times I watched it!
In the sixties and early seventies, we only had the A & W Drive-Ins. They were pretty cool though. Mama burgers, Papa burgers, & Baby burgers. The rootbeer made onsite, and the big gallon jugs!

·
Registered
380 Posts
I was there many times ! I member that place, we had relatives in Demotte and in Wheatfield and I had an uncle that raced at Illiana speedway, my dad would take the scenic route just to stop there or the pancake place that was closer to route 30. I have not been in that area in years nice to see they are bringing places like that back, I wish them the best. I wish I could get someone to rebuild Skips drive in, in Melrose park, I'd be 16 all over again lol. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Very cool, I remember as a kid going to those , wish they still had them, we have one down the road that has been closed for years and is for sale , I told my wife someone should revive it. I think they are on the come back!

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
WOW...brings back memories!!! Wish there was one in my area! Great pictures, incredible story and thanks for posting!!!:smileup:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts