Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had interesting conversation (we'll say...) this past Easter weekend with/about the owner of a 2013 R/T Charger.

We were all gathered around and somehow my car came up in conversation, my Mom asks "So is it a Hemi?", the question seemed a bit odd to me as she is not "into" cars so to speak. I told her "yeah, it is the 6.4L Hemi, why is that?" Then she goes on to tell me she was out with some friends (likely bragging about the car as she loves the SPS, first thing she said when going for her first ride in it was "Wow, its like being in a racecar" lol) telling them about my car and showing them pictures, when one of her friends says "That thing is no big deal, its not even a Hemi..." o_O

Now she honestly would not have known for sure at that point, but I guess she said "I don't know...But, Im pretty sure it is" and this guy says "No its not, there is not even a Hemi badge on the side..." (very matter-of-factly) :oops:

After she finished telling this story I couldn't help myself from laughing out loud, almost uncontrollably. She looks slightly confused and asks me why I am laughing so hard, and once I could breathe properly again I said "So this guy, he considers himself a car guy?" she tells me "yes big time, he is always talking about cars and how his car is really fast, this, that and the other thing". I continued laughing. Once I got myself under control I said to her "Well, this guy should probably do a bit of homework before trying to make you look dumb like that, because he is absolutely out to lunch on this one". That look of confusion swept over her face again so I carried on "Not only is it definitely a Hemi, it is the largest displacement Hemi you can order in a Challenger or Charger. On top of that, the car is a shaker, which can only be had with a 5.7L or 6.4L Hemi. Again, on top of that it has the renown "Bee" on the side which would signify a 6.4L Hemi and even if you missed that somehow, the R/T badge alone in the grill would designate a 5.7L Hemi...Not to mention it literally says "392 HEMI" right on the Shaker scoop"

Almost immediately she started texting somewhat frantically on her phone, so I had to ask "your not texting that guy right now are you?", she replies "well of course I am, he is such a know-it-all, he is always trying to tell people whats what about everything". So I said "Ahhhh, one of those guys, I gotcha', let me your phone for a minute..." ;)

I was responding, but this guy thought it was my Mom typing, conversation went something like this;

Me: "My son said it is a Hemi"
Guy: "But its not"
Me: "Actually it is, 6.4L - 392, 485HP & 470 ft/lb"
Guy: "I would have to see more pics" (denial)
Me: "OK, Scat Pack Shaker - Fully Loaded...and some pics (of course one of the 392 badge on the scoop) and my son wants to know what your driving"
Guy: "2013 Charger R/T...I've got 370HP"
Me: "My son says we should race"
Guy: "He must have some big balls to try that" (kind of confused by that comment, but whatever...)
Me: "My son says his is faster..."
(I couldn't resist that last one, I know it puts me on the same level as Johnny sh!t talker, but it was just too funny, also received no response whatsoever after that lol)

Just a great example of why I don't pretend to be knowledgeable on things when I simply am not; it is just a matter of time before you make yourself look stupid vs. just saying "Oh, I wasn't aware of that, good to know...etc". I am by no means a "car buff", I love cars of all types, I can recognize probably 95% of all vehicles we see on the road and know most different trim levels of those vehicles too. But when it comes to fixing them and/or working on them I am basically useless due to lack of experience with such things, I plan to do my best to change that with my Scat Pack though. As a machinist and tinkerer' of sorts I have a great mechanical/technical aptitude, I just lack the time under the hood to be truly comfortable.

Just a funny little incident I figured you guys might get a kick out of...I know I did:D

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,859 Posts
So the guy saying you don't have a "Hemi" has a 2013 Charger R/T and he has a Hemi, but doesn't know enough that even without a Hemi Badge, the Challenger Scat Packs and SPS's are Hemi's. Boy, talk about a narrow field of vision.

·
Premium Member
4,399 Posts
Reminds me of the knuckle head posers that show up at car shows.
Poser: "Oh yea well, my friend has a car that will destroy a Hellcat"
Person with real car: "Call him and tell him to come on down."
Poser: Well ah....ah....ah, well he has the engine out cause it only has 2,000 HP so he is putting in a 3,000 HP engine."
Person with real car: "That's what I figured."

Then the poser leaves the show, walks way down the road and gets into a Honda with a fart can.

-John

·
Registered
227 Posts
First thing I like to ask people like that is " Do you even know what HEMI means? " Be warned, the answers to this simple question has gotten some really funny answers.

·
Knight of the black asphalt.
8,582 Posts
First thing I like to ask people like that is " Do you even know what HEMI means? " Be warned, the answers to this simple question has gotten some really funny answers.
I like a Hemi and cheese with lettuce tomato and onion and a bag of chips. LOL!

·
Registered
22,805 Posts
What I've learned over the years is that everybody is an expert and everybody used to own or thinks they currently own a faster car. But when you tell them to bring it to the track they always have some reason they can't. Or if they tell you they used to own a 10 second car and you ask them how they know, their response is usually something like they raced a guy once that said he had an 11 second car and won lol.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There's one of those kind where I work. He has an older Corvette and it's the fast car in the entire world. It's like an 2002 an has all of 350 hp. Great story thanks for sharing!
No problem, I figured it would be good for laugh over here

Corvettes are just naturally faster than everyother car, it's weird...lol

·
801 RWHP
8,536 Posts
When they pull up next to you at a light. Right as they notice the badge, I don't think they say to themselves "hello kitty." I think it's more like "oh F me kitty". Lol.

On another note, I pulled up to a CVS parking lot in my work truck. As I was getting out and walking to the store I saw a challenger pull in. It was of a blue color hard to tell from where I was but it looked to be Jazz blue. As I wasn't sure I waited for the owner to come through the door and I asked him what color it was. He did not even know. So sad. I just said oh thanks and walked away. So you get know it alls and then you get the ignorant. Some think they know all about your car and others don't know anything about their own.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What I've learned over the years is that everybody is an expert and everybody used to own or thinks they currently own a faster car. But when you tell them to bring it to the track they always have some reason they can't. Or if they tell you they used to own a 10 second car and you ask them how they know, their response is usually something like they raced a guy once that said he had an 11 second car and won lol.
Very well said, I agree and I strive to not be annoyingly competitive like that. In all reality my SPS is just moderately fast compared to what is out there, lots of stuff that will destroy it.

People just need to know and respect the reality of things, or when they don't know, don't pretend like they do to seem "cool"...never works out long term lol

1 - 20 of 39 Posts