Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's right. Read it here, at Road and Track!

http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/news/srt-hellcat-v8-707-hp?src=soc_fcbks

Those of you to lazy to click the link, here is a copy and paste.

Back in May when the 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat broke cover, we were thinking it was going to win the horsepower wars in the pony car segment with something in the vicinity of 600 hp. I am delighted to break the news to you that we were very wrong. Our estimate was way, way short.
The Hellcat supercharged V8 is going to pump out 707 hp.
These are not guesstimates or predictions. This is the Word, coming down from on high, and Dodge disciples will rejoice at the news. And so will we all. Happy early birthday, America.

Reactions: EMARS77

·
Registered
203 Posts
with a $70,000 price tag to boot, just saying

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Damn.... I may just need to re-think this...... any word on 1/4 mile times?

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
I originally thought it would be about 620 Hp or so with MSRP at $80 - $85K.
Now that it’s blowing past the Viper in HP I don’t doubt it’ll be close to $100K (JMO which ain't worth squat).
Some parts (body / interior) from the current Challenger can be used but it’s a completely re-vamped drive train.
So if anything, money is saved from not having to use a completely redesigned body structure….otherwise I could see it costing about the same as a Viper.
I’m sure the unibody has to be beefed up to handle the power without twisting.
It’s a given that the trans, driveshaft, rear gears & half-shafts will be all super-sized, as well as a completely different suspension.

I guess July 7 is when the actual press release will give us all the details.

I wonder how many will actually sell?

·
Registered
22,658 Posts
Don't remeber where I saw it yesterday, but I saw 10.9x in the quarter mile.
Yes there is a rampant rumor that has been floating around that they got a 10.9 with a six speed and the automatic was a lot faster. :smileup: At the time many discounted that as their reasoning was you would have to be making closer to 700 HP than 600 HP, well as it happens to turn out it's closer to 700 HP :smileup:.

·
Average Guy
295 Posts
I already asked the boss if I could have one!

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
10.9 or better, 707HP, the grin on your face = priceless!!!!

Now if the can only keep the car in the "affordable" range.....

·
Registered
22,658 Posts
10.9 or better, 707HP, the grin on your face = priceless!!!!

Now if the can only keep the car in the "affordable" range.....
Well they surprised many with the 707 HP figure, so now if they could just surprise us again with a lower than expected base price LOL. :smileup:

·
Premium Member
9,087 Posts
I'm not right all the time so I figure when I am I get a free I told you so coming to me. A while back I said that this might be a first ever 10 second from the factory street car and I do not remember one single person saying they thought so too...LOL:gy:

·
"Z" member since 2009
3,907 Posts
Unfortunately, regardless of the MSRP, I bet dealers will jack up the sales price with "adjusted dealership mark-ups". I would expect mark-ups of $10K or more.

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
I'm not right all the time so I figure when I am I get a free I told you so coming to me. A while back I said that this might be a first ever 10 second from the factory street car and I do not remember one single person saying they thought so too...LOL:gy:
I was in agreement with you Dan!! In the other thread where we were placing our best guess for HP / TQ I made a wishful - if not foolish - guess of 10.9 in the 1320.....maybe dreams do come true if you have faith and lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
:SHOCKED::att:

·
Premium Member
9,087 Posts
I was in agreement with you Dan!! In the other thread where we were placing our best guess for HP / TQ I made a wishful - if not foolish - guess of 10.9 in the 1320.....maybe dreams do come true if you have faith and lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
:SHOCKED::att:
Now that you mention it...YOU ARE RIGHT!!! I remember that without having to go back and look. But really...didn't you get the feeling that everyone was kind of thinking we where fruit cakes!!!...LOL Has for the money thing....I'm used to it by now. It was the same deal for me back in the other muscle car war...some things never change.:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
I suppose folks probably scoffed me at the sidelines, but this forum is too cool for people get downright rude and call me an idiot out in the open. My wife gets away with it free of charge daily!!
I didn't assume the massive HP number that is being reported, but used a calculator for HP / TQ / weight and a very wishful 60' time to get that 10.9. I figured with the 'all new' engineered suspension and traction control they'd figured a way to transfer all that power (I think my guess was 620 HP or something) and plant it for use by the new 8 spd auto. Even a blind squirrel can find a nut before they're killed and eaten!

·
12,989 Posts

Very interesting Bigsnake, it seems that Dodge playing their marketing game of the Hellcat perfectly by giving us tidbits of info now and them. It seems like they want everyone to know that they are now the big gun on the block. It seems even though that the Shelby has the weight advantage it is clearly out gunned in the HP and TQE department but its also starting to look like the 8 speed torque management system is gonna be another big thing for the Shelby to overcome. One thing Ive seen so many times at the track is its not how much HP you are making its your cars ability to put it to the ground and thats what really counts.If what we are reading is true the Hellcat will be tough to beat. I guess time will tell.

·
Premium Member
18,463 Posts
I've read that the new Challenger is 8 inches shorter than the older models.Do you think that will have much impact on its weight ?

·
12,989 Posts
I've read that the new Challenger is 8 inches shorter than the older models.Do you think that will have much impact on its weight ?
Thats hard to say Art, the Supercharger by its self is gonna bump up the weight by more than 100lbs.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts