Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife informed me that for Valentine's Day I should go ahead and buy the JBA shortly headers that I have been eye fornication for a while. I decided to call around and get a few installation quotes, as I really have no where I can do this myself. Much to my chagrin, I have found that none of the shops in town will install the headers as they do not carry the CARB sticker/stamp on them.

Damn California.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
good luck friend, I thought about headers and still wouldn't mind having them and may, but hope you get them on soon they should be a big help

·
Premium Member
12,339 Posts
If you are in a state that has emissions checks as part of your annusl inspection I would say you are out of luck. Sounds to me like there is a road trip in order.

·
12,977 Posts
Wow!! That's a bummer, thank god we don't have that problem in N.J.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
check with Hemimetal bet he knows of someone

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
my understanding is the JBA shorties bolt right up to the stock midpipes/cats.....I dont know why there would be any emissions issue as long as you leave those cats there....just what I always thought, no idea if that is correct

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's not the emissions that is the issue, it is the fact that the headers don't have a C.A.R.B sticker/stamp on them. They are illegal to run on smog controlled vehicles in California without that and the mechanics won't even put them on. Evidently a local tech got in trouble for installing something like that on a car, even though it still passed the emissions test.

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
interesting.....so I would assume SRT shorties would be fine

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
go with SRT shorties - they are legal in CA. You should be able to find some takeoffs on the internet for a few hundred bucks.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
SRT shorties are pretty much the same thing and generally cheaper. I'd go that route.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
go with SRT shorties - they are legal in CA. You should be able to find some takeoffs on the internet for a few hundred bucks.
ply67cuda speaks the truth. JBA shorties, BBK, etc. aren't legal in California for Challengers, Chargers, or 300's as they don't have a C.A.R.B EO#. They will pass emissions, but will not pass the required visual inspection. I just ran in to this issue here in my town, no one will even install them for fear of getting in to trouble by the state. I heard one of the local mechanics/smog techs about lost his license because he knowingly installed non C.A.R.B approved components and was somehow caught.

However SRT shorties are MOPAR OEM. They can't say anything about those.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts