Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys…
So let me start by saying that like many of you I have been combing the forums/youtube/internet for exhaust options on the 3.6L SXT. My two former vehicles were v8 trucks with 40 series Flowmasters and I loved the sound. The 3.6L is a totally different beast. Like most of you I’m looking for a deeper and throatier sound…minimizing/eliminating annoying drone. That being said I have narrowed my options down…(suggestions welcome as I’ve only been a Challenger owner since Jan '14)

Flowmaster option - 2 mufflers original/super 40/44s and res deletes etc… lower growl/tone but they generally produce drone at cruising rpms. I am very interested if anyone is running the Delta Flow series as they have been engineered to “eliminate noticeable cabin noise”
JFB option – dual pipes running into a single muff dual in/dual out and deleting the resos. It seems like people are having some decent luck with the Jones Full Boar dual in/dual outs. It seems a little bit weird to me why you would want to go to a single muffler on dual exhaust but people swear it increases the flow/pulse and gets rid of the “tinny” high pitch tone (6 cyl to a muff/not 3 etc…). That being said is this going to be too restrictive on the motor? Also I’ve seen people running the JFB 4554 “detonators” and only a little bit about their “v tube” flow through mufflers. V tubes are designed to decrease interior noise like the flowmaster delta series. All the JFB lines are noted to be less drone-y than Flows.

No offense to the blastin bobs/Mangaflow/etc crowd but I haven’t heard a set up that sounds as good to my ears yet. Also they Solos/Zoomers/cat backs are a little too pricey for me. Yada, yada, yada…exhaust sound is subjective, some people are more sensitive to drone than others, you should have bought a v8 crap.
Suggestions?

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
JFB option – dual pipes running into a single muff dual in/dual out and deleting the resos. It seems like people are having some decent luck with the Jones Full Boar dual in/dual outs. It seems a little bit weird to me why you would want to go to a single muffler on dual exhaust but people swear it increases the flow/pulse and gets rid of the “tinny” high pitch tone (6 cyl to a muff/not 3 etc…). That being said is this going to be too restrictive on the motor? Also I’ve seen people running the JFB 4554 “detonators” and only a little bit about their “v tube” flow through mufflers. V tubes are designed to decrease interior noise like the flowmaster delta series. All the JFB lines are noted to be less drone-y than Flows.
Well you kinda shot my two choices down (Solo and Zoomers). I haven't heard the JFB exhaust, but if it's less drone I would definitely go with that.

As far as the increased flow from going to a single muffler, think about it like this. You have a garden hose running water, the water is flowing out unimpeded at a regular pace. But if stick your thumb partially over the opening creating pressure you would increase the flow of the water. Is it a perfect analogy, probably not, but you get the idea.

As far as being too restrictive on the motor, no idea. :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
181 Posts
I thought of a good set up today. I am like you, I am not in a position to spend 1000$ on an exhaust.
I was thinking use 2 jones mufflers to replace the 2 mid mufflers ( i think the part number would be fb2443 - I like the idea of having 2 mufflers as the exhaust would stay true dual )
The use 2 jones glass packs ( i think the part number would be a3512b ) which is 2 1/4 inside and 12 inch long. Which would help to decrease drone as well.
These 4 parts would be 112$ plus instal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts