Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 Challenger R/T Classic 5.7L,Kook LT,Borla ATAK,Comp 270 cam,Hellcat valve train,AiraidCAI
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the process for jump starting, either from new Challenger to other vehicle or other to your Challenger? Can it be done under the hood, are there any fuses that need to be pulled, anything not mentioned in manual.
With the insane numbers of electronic options on these new vehicles, it makes me nervous just looking at the battery.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Canadian Built Challenger
2,029 Posts
WHAT TO DO IN EMERGENCIES
Font Magenta Audio equipment Funeral Cable

JUMP-STARTING

• If your vehicle has a discharged battery it can be jumpstarted using a set of jumper

cables and a battery in another vehicle or by using a portable battery booster pack.

• Jump-starting can be dangerous if done improperly so please follow the procedures

in this section carefully.

NOTE:

When using a portable battery booster pack follow the manufacturer's operating
instructions and precautions

Preparations for Jump-Start

• The battery is stored under an access cover in the trunk. Remote battery posts are

located on the right side of the engine compartment for jump-starting.

NOTE:

The remote battery posts are viewed by standing on the right side of the vehicle looking over
the fender.

• Set the parking brake, shift the automatic transmission into PARK and turn the ignition to
LOCK.

• Turn off the heater, radio, and all unnecessary electrical accessories.

• If using another vehicle to jump-start the battery, park the vehicle within the jumper
cables reach, set the parking brake and make sure the ignition is OFF.

Jump-Starting Procedure

• Connect the positive (+) end of the jumper cable to the remote positive (+) post of the
discharged vehicle.

• Connect the opposite end of the positive (+) jumper cable to the positive (+) post of the
booster battery.

• Connect the negative end (-) of the jumper cable to the negative (-) post of the booster
battery.

• Connect the opposite end of the negative (-) jumper cable to the remote negative (-) post
of the vehicle with the discharged battery.

• Start the engine in the vehicle that has the booster battery, let the engine idle a few
minutes, and then start the engine in the vehicle with the discharged battery.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Canadian Built Challenger
2,029 Posts
What I posted is found in your Owners Manuals..... at 54 years old I know about jump starting that is why I liked Stick back in the Day get it rolling in Neutral pop clutch and put it in gear , Other wise the Red on First to the Battery or + Jump Lug and then the Black to Ground usually found a bolt , nut that contacted with Chassis. with a good contact...

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pack
232 Posts
Ah, the good ole' days....

1970's cold winter night, 2 cars snowed in, parked in line with each other against the curb. Jumper cables not long enough to reach from one battery to the other so we backed one car's metal bumper against the dead car's metal bumper for a ground, connected both red and black jumper cables end to end to double the reach and jumped the car connecting the positive posts. Ah, the good ole' days. (back then jumper cables were often two separate cables, not one siamesed pair like they are now).

Now, I'm afraid to touch anything electrical on the Challenger. And so many things are controlled by chips now. The friggin' car even know's when I walk near it searching for the key fob that may or may not be in my pocket. Scary.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ah, the good ole' days....

1970's cold winter night, 2 cars snowed in, parked in line with each other against the curb. Jumper cables not long enough to reach from one battery to the other so we backed one car's metal bumper against the dead car's metal bumper for a ground, connected both red and black jumper cables end to end to double the reach and jumped the car connecting the positive posts. Ah, the good ole' days. (back then jumper cables were often two separate cables, not one siamesed pair like they are now).

Now, I'm afraid to touch anything electrical on the Challenger. And so many things are controlled by chips now. The friggin' car even know's when I walk near it searching for the key fob that may or may not be in my pocket. Scary.
and these days, I don't even need another vehicle around for a jump start... I just have a battery pack called the Halo Bolt that I use to jump start dead car batteries or charge my electronic crap when out in the wild.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts