Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Group,
I Bit the bullet and bought a Challenger.
It has a matching number 318 and automatic transmission and that is about it. Does have Air conditioning. It is a plum crazy factory color car.

I have most parts for the car...
All of the sheet metal has been done professionally to the body by a reputable body shop.
New trunk pane and rear quarters... one new left fender front.
Has a new driver door but has the original that could have been used with some bondo but he opted to do new.,

It is straight as it can be and even has a new trunk lid...forgot to mention that.
Seems are perfect.

The interior is out of the car. Has the rear axle but the guts are long gone.
It has a center console and bucket seats. The shifter is on the column which I do not ,like..

Anyway it is not the most desirable one but with a perfect body ready to paint I think 9k was a good price to pay for the project.

I would like to see what you guys think?????

We are going to do a complete restore and make it like new.. My BF has an automotive shop. so we can do all the mechanical

I am thinking abouit not cloning it to an RT or TA but think I want to make it a 4 speed manual and hop the 318 up to about 400hp.

Advice and suggestions are appreciated.

I think 9k is pretty cheap for what I got.... I will spend way more than that to bring it back to life..

Karee

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
56,323 Posts
Have fun , be prepared to spend lots of money.

·
Premium Member
19,413 Posts
Welcome from NJ.
Glad to have you here.
Good luck with your project car.Hope it turns out well.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
56,323 Posts
Column Shift is pretty rare for those, but sounds like an excellent project congratulations.
Bet there were more column shift 318 cars than than console shifted even with bucket seats.

Reactions: Karee Brinlee

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
5,110 Posts
Hey Group,
It has a matching number 318 and automatic transmission and that is about it. Does have Air conditioning. It is a plum crazy factory color car.

All of the sheet metal has been done professionally to the body by a reputable body shop.
Has a new driver door but has the original that could have been used with some bondo but he opted to do new.,

It is straight as it can be and even has a new trunk lid...forgot to mention that.
Seems are perfect.

It has a center console and bucket seats. The shifter is on the column which I do not ,like..

Anyway it is not the most desirable one but with a perfect body ready to paint I think 9k was a good price to pay for the project.

We are going to do a complete restore and make it like new.. My BF has an automotive shop. so we can do all the mechanical

I am thinking abouit not cloning it to an RT or TA but think I want to make it a 4 speed manual and hop the 318 up to about 400hp.

I think 9k is pretty cheap for what I got.... I will spend way more than that to bring it back to life..

Karee
Welcome from Northeast Illinois. Let us see some photo's of that old project car, we'd love to see it before you start digging into the rebuild!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Go with a 360 instead of the 318. Cost the same to build and has a better bottom end and more inches.
Console with shifter on the column ??? What does the console look like ?
Console looks the same as the shifter ones but no opening.
Once I get it cleaned up I will take a pic..

·
Registered
24 Posts
340 is not very plentiful and grossly overpriced right now if you can find one that hasn't been beat on and rebored.
360 are available and for 1/4 of the price.
And maybe it isn't a race car.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack A8 B5 Blue
133 Posts
Hey Group,

Seems are perfect.

Karee
That is so cool. I’ve restored quite a few cars but, never a Dodge product - mostly Chevy muscle cars and trucks. I picked this up last weekend—68 C10 in need of a restoration, this will be my new project.
Car Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Land vehicle

Good luck with the project and keep us posted with updates and pics!👌

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Welcome, Sounds like a great project, good luck with the build.

I too bought my 70 challenger only partially finished, mine was painted already when I bought it but the vinyl top was not installed, bad exhaust, ran okay but needed work; brakes, tranny, suspension, rear end where all iffy so I rebuilt them all and interior was shot. Bought mine from a widower whose husband was in the process of doing the restoration but unfortunately he got sick and passed and the car just sat for years. It was a tough decision for the family to sell, but they finally came around.

Mine is a 318 too with the A904 tranny, split bench seat with arm rest (fairly rare option) and column shift as well. I can tell you from taking it to a few cars shows now that it is done, I actually get quite a few positive comments on the split bench seat an column shift.

My 318 is definitely no longer stock (400 HP, converted to EFI), moves the old girl along quite nicely.

Send plenty of progress pics.

On the attached pics, the first is the day I brought it home, the other pics are 3 years later after being completed.

Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
If the body is as nice as you say 9K is a great price. Once You & BF tackle the mechanical even if you go for a high end paint job you should still be at a good point and have a Beautiful Challenger.
Congrats & Best Of Luck (y)

·
Registered
2020 Challenger SXT, Frostbite color, Driver Convience Pkg, Navigation and Sunroof.
117 Posts
Welcome from The Villages, Florida.
Have fun and good luck with your project.

Jim........

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
My opinion is leave it stock, exactly the way it came from the factory. It’s a Plumb Crazy 70 Challenger, it can’t get much better than that.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Canadian Built Challenger
1,656 Posts
340 is not very plentiful and grossly overpriced right now if you can find one that hasn't been beat on and rebored.
360 are available and for 1/4 of the price.
And maybe it isn't a race car.
Id actually keep the 318 if I wanted next up id hunt down a 340 just a more solid engine then the 360.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Go with a 360 instead of the 318. Cost the same to build and has a better bottom end and more inches.
Console with shifter on the column ??? What does the console look like ?
yes a 360 of course would drop right it. That engine would need some work though, it was greatly detuned.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Reactions: Dodgeguy
1 - 19 of 19 Posts