Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious about the possibility of mating the new Hellcat engine into an old model R/T (09-13). I haven't read the specs yet but just wondering if someone will be toying with the idea in a year or so after the Hellcat has had time to be available on the market. Of course I am excluding most of the computer controls.

If the Hellcat is all that it claims to be, what will that do to the resale value and collectability of the Challengers that have been made up to this point? Will Dodge not in a way be cutting their own throat by causing buyers of the other submodels to shun them in the future because of their rapid value loss? Will the Challenger for sale in the future become just an excluse Hellcat like the Viper due to sales dip? Just thinking.

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
I don't think it would be cost effective to try and stuff a Hellcat engine in an older model Challenger. Waaaayyy too many things need to be modified to just make it happen, much less handle the power. If you're looking for a power upgrade you're probably better off going with a MOPAR crate or else one of the site vendors who make a living off of making power.
I don't think the Hellcat will devalue the current Challenger lineup. Do the same comparison with the run of the mill Mustang vs. the Boss or Shelby....
We don't know how much longer the Challenger will be made - some expected '15 to be the last year. Who knows, maybe the Hellcat and the '16 model year will be the last hoorah?
It's all speculation. The Hellcat is going to be an expensive toy for the "not so average" guy (IMHO). You'll probably see as many Hellcats on the road as you do premium Vettes, Camaro's and Cobras.

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,481 Posts
Just curious about the possibility of mating the new Hellcat engine into an old model R/T (09-13). I haven't read the specs yet but just wondering if someone will be toying with the idea in a year or so after the Hellcat has had time to be available on the market. Of course I am excluding most of the computer controls.

If the Hellcat is all that it claims to be, what will that do to the resale value and collectability of the Challengers that have been made up to this point? Will Dodge not in a way be cutting their own throat by causing buyers of the other submodels to shun them in the future because of their rapid value loss? Will the Challenger for sale in the future become just an excluse Hellcat like the Viper due to sales dip? Just thinking.
As far as the first part goes, I think availability on the salvage side of the market will have to be determined. I don't think it will be much market there because of the aftermarket(Arrington, HHp, et al) side of it that is already established.

The second part here I think has already been answered. If you buy your Challenger as an investment, I think you're fooling yourself. Although resale on GOOD used Challengers are fairly good, not many people buy them for the collectibility. There are just too many of them. Most people will still buy the "sub models" just for the enjoyment of driving them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts