Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have installed 4 K&N CAI systems on 4 different cars and the last one was mine (Typhoon CAI) but on every car it seems like they wont line up perfect like I think they should, I got them all installed with a little bending but for the money I think they should bolt in without doing anything to them. Has anyone else run into this ?

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat, 6 Speed Manual
1,103 Posts
I have installed 4 K&N CAI systems on 4 different cars and the last one was mine (Typhoon CAI) but on every car it seems like they wont line up perfect like I think they should, I got them all installed with a little bending but for the money I think they should bolt in without doing anything to them. Has anyone else run into this ?
Plus 1 + I am the exact same boat I have always had good success but I needed to bend the heat shield and the intake tube doesn't line up very good either.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
If you bought 4 different K&N units and they all had fitment issues, I'd be looking for another product in the future.

There are plenty of other options out there that will give equal or better hp gains and probably have better fitment and quality.

·
Registered
11 Posts
K&N CAI Question

I guess that will partially answer my question which was what do folks think about the Mopar cold air intake system versus the aftermarket brands like K&N, Air Raid, etc.? I've been considering a cold air intake for my '13 SRT as I think it will look better at shows. Do these things make any performance difference, and can they make anything worse?

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
I just bolted on a stock SRT intake on my RT and noticed better throttle response and a slightly harder pull on the top end when winding out the gears. I used this along with a K&N drop in filter. Seems to work good for $50 but looks like a stock piece because it is.

There are tons of threads on here about CAI's. Most only provide about 5-8hp with the really good ones around 10-12 hp. Those ones are true CAI's that pull air from in front of the fender away from the engine heat. They do produce a cool sound when you get on it though which is fun.

Bottom line is yes they do give you more hp but not a whole lot.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you bought 4 different K&N units and they all had fitment issues, I'd be looking for another product in the future.

There are plenty of other options out there that will give equal or better hp gains and probably have better fitment and quality.
Well I was borderline on getting one myself but I got a super deal from craigslist so I got it, but after doing these if I ever need another I'll probably look at a different brand. Now on the drop in filters I have used them for ages and have no problem with them.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I just bolted on a stock SRT intake on my RT and noticed better throttle response and a slightly harder pull on the top end when winding out the gears. I used this along with a K&N drop in filter. Seems to work good for $50 but looks like a stock piece because it is.

There are tons of threads on here about CAI's. Most only provide about 5-8hp with the really good ones around 10-12 hp. Those ones are true CAI's that pull air from in front of the fender away from the engine heat. They do produce a cool sound when you get on it though which is fun.

Bottom line is yes they do give you more hp but not a whole lot.
Regarding the "true CAI" statement. How does that differ from the stock airbox. Best i can tell it is pulling air from the same place as all these CAIs do. Aside from the SRT tube upgrade I just cant see how they are any better than stock. Confused :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Regarding the "true CAI" statement. How does that differ from the stock airbox. Best i can tell it is pulling air from the same place as all these CAIs do. Aside from the SRT tube upgrade I just cant see how they are any better than stock. Confused :4-dontknow:
LMI makes a true CAI which is a fender pull. The actual air filter is mounted in the fender well and out of the engine bay, thus guaranteeing that the ambient air temps that the intake is pulling in is cooler by a pretty decent amount. Cooler air is denser air, denser air means more power.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I guess that will partially answer my question which was what do folks think about the Mopar cold air intake system versus the aftermarket brands like K&N, Air Raid, etc.? I've been considering a cold air intake for my '13 SRT as I think it will look better at shows. Do these things make any performance difference, and can they make anything worse?
I say go with the MOPAR CAI. It is more expensive, but fits perfectly, looks great, and about the same with most CAIs out there in performance. Helps your car breath better along with a cat back system. Though performance isn't why I got mine, a marginal 6 HP increase at best. Not noticeable, but when you have your hood up and get someone to rev the motor you hear it.:smileup:

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
The best one I've seen out there is the LMI True CAI which is a fenderpull CAI. As said above, the air filter is located down in the fenderwell area, far away from engine bay heat and near cool air sources. The downside is it requires some slight modification to mount it and then changing/cleaning the air filter requires you to remove the front two belly pans. Not sure how it'd work out if you went through some deep water either if you got stuck in a bad storm. I think those were dyno'd to put out about 10-12 hp over stock on the LX forums. Those are your best bet in terms of performance. I think that one runs around $400.

Otherwise all of the "short ram" intakes like Airaid, Mopar, K&N, etc are more for looks and sound and offer only minimal performance gains around 5-8hp. The Mopar one is definitely sharp looking, but it's kind of pricey too. Just depends on your budget and what you're looking for.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The best one I've seen out there is the LMI True CAI which is a fenderpull CAI. As said above, the air filter is located down in the fenderwell area, far away from engine bay heat and near cool air sources. The downside is it requires some slight modification to mount it and then changing/cleaning the air filter requires you to remove the front two belly pans. Not sure how it'd work out if you went through some deep water either if you got stuck in a bad storm. I think those were dyno'd to put out about 10-12 hp over stock on the LX forums. Those are your best bet in terms of performance. I think that one runs around $400.

Otherwise all of the "short ram" intakes like Airaid, Mopar, K&N, etc are more for looks and sound and offer only minimal performance gains around 5-8hp. The Mopar one is definitely sharp looking, but it's kind of pricey too. Just depends on your budget and what you're looking for.
I bought/installed the R2C CAI, and I noticed a small difference in throttle response.......seemed to save on the gas a bit, but Idk........I havent dynoed it, and i added magnaflows the week earlier.........maybe somebody else installed a r2c as well?:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
The R2C looks like a nice one from what I've seen/read. I'm sure it's good for some extra power, but probably not a ton. I noticed better mpg's and a little better throttle response with my SRT intake tube/box and K&N drop in filter. The mpg's are welcome since it's not all that great to begin with haha!

·
Registered
144 Posts
It's the worst fitting K&N kit I've ever installed and I've had many, doesn't seem to fit my R/T st all then I see them for sale used all over, guess it wasn't just you and me

·
Here Comes Trouble!
1,621 Posts
Since I didn't install the Mopar CAI on mine (I'm the 2nd owner), I cannot comment on before/after testing. However, I just swapped the Mopar air filter with a Spectre/Summit Racing unit and the Spectre air filter seems to work a lot better than the Mopar filter. Maybe it's just psychological, but the "butt dyno" thinks it is better.

·
Registered
19 Posts
the mopar cai in my 2014 was well worth it. there was a noticeable gain in hp better throttle response and a little more in the top end. it took me about 10 mins to get it installed. so very easy and it looks amazing

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Mopar Muscle magazine , April issue rated the Mopar cai as the best all-around kit they tested. They said it was well engineered and made the highest average horsepoeer numbers, and was within two horsepower of the highest power number. But also one of the most expensive.

·
Registered
178 Posts
K&N may improve power due to improved air flow but I would not call it a CAI. POOR fit in engine bay allows warm air in. Stock system better CAI.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts