Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am weighing my options on buying either a CAI or a K&N drop-in filter. A CAI does look better, but from what I've read they don't seem to provide any real performance upgrades over the drop-in. Some people have even reported getting more power and/or better ETs with a drop-in.

I don't plan on doing any major performance adders such as boost or cam/heads for a while, strictly bolt-ons for now. I just purchased a Borla cat-back and plan on sticking with the stock manifolds until one of the aforementioned performance upgrades can be installed.

All that being said will the CAI, catback, 91/93 octane tunes offered on the Trinity tuners and/or a dyno tune work just as well with a drop-in? If so then wouldn't it make more sense to go the cheaper route with a drop-in?

PS - I created this thread because I did not find any others dedicated to drop-in filters, only CAI's. Feel free to leave a link if I missed one. Thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Will the preset CAI tunes on the aftermarket tuners still work with a drop-in or does it need to be CAI? Does it even matter?

·
Registered
16 Posts
K&N question

Hey guys, have a question about the K&N etc. I live in a rural area with dusty dirt road to my house. I have not used any aftermarket air filters for fear of dust "getting past them". Am I just being paranoid? or is this a valid concern? Sorry to hijack, but this thread reminded me of the question.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have a question about this subject in particular. I have noticed that when people are comparing the stock box with these so called Cold Air intakes they are actually referring to Short Ram intakes that draw air in from inside the engine bay, and allot of the times these intakes have little to no heat shielding. Now this makes an interesting comparison considering that when you compare the stock air box stock to short rams you are comparing somewhat smaller air opening with a colder charge since the factory air box draws air from below the engine compartment and a larger filter area from aftermarket with a hotter air source from the engine bay itself. I would be intrigued to find out what the numbers are like when you compare the stock system and a true cold air system such as the AEM & LMI which are plumbed from behind the bumper and combine a cold denser air source along with larger freer flowing filter elements.:4-dontknow:

·
Now that was dumb!
6,005 Posts
I previously owned a 2010 R/T. I installed an InJen Powerflow CAI on it.

Thoughts.....metal intake tube (chromed) got so hot I couldn't touch it.

Bought a SRT last June. Went with the K&N drop in performance filter instead of a CAI. No difference in my opinion. I can say for a fact that the air now coming into my SRT is cooler then it was when I used a CAI on the R/T.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I previously owned a 2010 R/T. I installed an InJen Powerflow CAI on it.

Thoughts.....metal intake tube (chromed) got so hot I couldn't touch it.

Bought a SRT last June. Went with the K&N drop in performance filter instead of a CAI. No difference in my opinion. I can say for a fact that the air now coming into my SRT is cooler then it was when I used a CAI on the R/T.
What about something like the LMI they use carbon tubes, theoretically they should not heat soak to the same degree if at all.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hey guys, have a question about the K&N etc. I live in a rural area with dusty dirt road to my house. I have not used any aftermarket air filters for fear of dust "getting past them". Am I just being paranoid? or is this a valid concern? Sorry to hijack, but this thread reminded me of the question.
If you were using a CAI and are worried about particles getting by the filter you could always use a pre-filter over it, I know that there are a few manufactures that make them. they look like a sock for your intake filter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts