Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So long story short. I have a 2010 pcp 5.7 6spd with a 2.8L kenne bell installed by Petty's garage and using a diablo trinity.
I brought my car out for the summer a couple weeks ago the the a/c wasn't working. I also needed an oil change so I took her to the dealership. They told me it would be $100 to fix the a/c since the bumper to bumper still covered it. So far so good. I picked up the car yesterday and learned that they flashed by computer, so now I have a stock tune...and a tune for an engine without a supercharger.

But it gets better. I figured I would plug in the diablo, load up the old tune and I would be good. Except that isn't working, now that they flashed the computer the diablo won't talk to it any more. So now i have to take out the computer and send it and the diablo to petty to that they can re-mate (?) the computer and the diablo and then they will put a tune on the diablo and load it.

Is this really the only option I have? I was hopping that petty could email me a tune and i could just load it but apparently since the computer is flashed the solution isn't as simple.

Help!

·
Dazed & Confused
35,815 Posts
Yep, unfortunately you have to get the tuner reset before it will connect with your car. You should be able to download your custom tune to your pc before having it reset, that way you can add it back to the tuner after you remarry it to the car. Only drawback is if your pcm has a different cal id from the flash your old custom tune may not install and you'll have to go through the whole process.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
Bummer man, that sucks. But it should be an easy fix. Diablo can reset your tuner, you can download your stock tune back on the tuner when you get it back, then upload your custom tune back onto the PCM. It will be a hassle but no serious damage should occur which is the main thing.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was pretty dang worried i did damage. I know they drove it after because they said it was fine to drive but it just revs a little higher. Petty thinks it should be alright, any thoughts?

I tried to load the old tune and couldn't so I'm pretty sure that the cpm flash changed the id like you said jkelly16

·
Dazed & Confused
35,815 Posts
I was pretty dang worried i did damage. I know they drove it after because they said it was fine to drive but it just revs a little higher. Petty thinks it should be alright, any thoughts?

I tried to load the old tune and couldn't so I'm pretty sure that the cpm flash changed the id like you said jkelly16
I think you can send your original back up to Petty and have them modify the tune and not have to send the pcm. Then you can load it on the tuner and install it. Not positive but I think this will work. I would not drive it without the supporting tune if it were mine.

·
Premium Member
12,168 Posts
I have the modified PCM for the Scat Pack II, I have A nice red cover that says do not touch...

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
8,475 Posts
I've got the red plastic cover that snaps over the OBD2 plug. In black letters it states: DO NOT REFLASH-CONSULT OWNER. Check our Forum Vendor's section. $9.95.

·
Registered
583 Posts
That's interesting, I thought you could contact diablo directly and they could give you a code to put into the tuner to manually reset it. I had a situation on my old truck (13 ram) were I got updated software in my pcm and my trinity wouldn't work so the sent me a code to reset everything so I could start over from scratch and pul the factory tune out so I could upload my custom tune.

·
Premium Member
12,168 Posts
Where did you get this nice red cover? I think it would be a great investment for me :)
E Bay it was $11.00 shipped pretty pricy for a cheesy PC of plastic but worth the money IMO...

·
801 RWHP
8,206 Posts
I'm probably wrong here. It sounds to me like your tuner wouldn't talk to the car because they both had the stock tune in them. In other words, when you hook up your tuner to download the custom tune, first it pulls out the stock tune. Problem is, it already has it. So it is not recognizing it.

Solutions for next time. As stated above, get an OBDII port guard. Or, prior to going in for service, put the stock tune back in, yourself. Tuner will then be ready to put custom tune back in whether they flash it or not. This is pure speculation on my part. Next time I speak with Josh, I will try and remember to ask about this.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What was your A/C issue that required them to flash ?
No, I needed A/C hardware which took care of under the bumper to bumper warranty. They re-flashed the computer out of standard dealership practice...I think they get a kick back from dodge for making sure the cars they service have the most recent computer update

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
No, I needed A/C hardware which took care of under the bumper to bumper warranty. They re-flashed the computer out of standard dealership practice...I think they get a kick back from dodge for making sure the cars they service have the most recent computer update
Seems, to me, and it would be a fight, the dealer is responsible for any of your out of pocket cost. If they did not have to flash that computer and in doing so altered your tune of choice, they have to make it right. True, there was no malice on their part (lawyer words) but they are still responsible for a fix. Point being, the techs should know by now that a customer may have tuned their car, and it's our right to do so, and it should be a practice that they consult with you first...especially with us Challenger owners who are more likely to do so. What modern era Dodge tech would not know this is going on in a large scale. Maybe not as much with the base Challenger models but R/T's and SRT's, it's fairly common.

Oh crap, that was a lot of babble on my part...:eek:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts