Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Seeing red
14,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe that I have experienced more key fobik issues than anyone else on this forum. The issues have largely diminished after many fobik replacements under warranty and finally a PEM (Passive Entry Module) replacement, likewise under warranty.

I have noticed that for a few months, that my overhead console garage door open button on my Challenger was having difficulty opening my garage door when I was outside trying to get in. No problems opening the door to get out nor closing it once I did get out.

Now, for a couple of weeks, I started to get the dreaded "key fob not found" when I attempted to start the car, but a second press of the "Start" button would work. Well, after this, I just went ahead and replaced the battery in my fobik and now, both problems disappeared. :smileup: I no longer get the "key fob not found" issue, plus the garage door is greatly more responsive to my Challenger garage door button to get in from outside. I don't know how the battery in the fob can be related to the garage open button, but it sure seems to be.

I tested my old fob battery (CR2032--3volts) was reading 2.7 to 2.8 volts on my volt meter. Anyway, just some food for thought.
:thk:

Reactions: MommaBetty

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Interesting, the only problem I have ever had with a fobik is one time one of them would not open the car, but that was two years ago and it has worked ever since. I am still on the original batteries in both. I really can't figure out why your garage door opener would be tied to the battery in the fobik. Glad its working better now though.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
31,055 Posts
Thanks for sharing that. It does seem interesting sometimes how things like that can be related. I was having trouble with my ipod working in the USB in the console. I took the car for a spirited drive one day and after that I noticed that the USB was now lighting up. Did it light up before?? I don't really remember. After that it began working fine. I also concluded that the cold somehow had something to do with it. I now bring the ipod in the house for the rest of this winter. Maybe there will be another chapter is this episode.
I am glad you were able to solve your problem, and it helps the rest of us if we start experiencing these same difficulties!

·
Challenger Old Guy...
6,527 Posts
Frequencies and food for thought....

I believe that I have experienced more key fobik issues than anyone else on this forum. The issues have largely diminished after many fobik replacements under warranty and finally a PEM (Passive Entry Module) replacement, likewise under warranty.

I have noticed that for a few months, that my overhead console garage door open button on my Challenger was having difficulty opening my garage door when I was outside trying to get in. No problems opening the door to get out nor closing it once I did get out.

Now, for a couple of weeks, I started to get the dreaded "key fob not found" when I attempted to start the car, but a second press of the "Start" button would work. Well, after this, I just went ahead and replaced the battery in my fobik and now, both problems disappeared. :smileup: I no longer get the "key fob not found" issue, plus the garage door is greatly more responsive to my Challenger garage door button to get in from outside. I don't know how the battery in the fob can be related to the garage open button, but it sure seems to be.

I tested my old fob battery (CR2032--3volts) was reading 2.7 to 2.8 volts on my volt meter. Anyway, just some food for thought.
:thk:
Coyote:

Radio Frequencies and Homelink/FOBIK/PEM related operations.

HomeLink is compatible with radio-frequency devices operating between 288-399 MHz (exclusive of the restricted 322-335 MHz range).
Select 2007 and newer vehicles are compatible up to 433 MHz (exclusive of the restricted 400-410 MHz range).

Some popular Garage Door operating frequencies are;

Liftmaster Door Openers 390 mhz
Overhead Door 360 mhz
Stanley Door 310 mhz

1982- 1996 Garage Door Openers 300mhz-400mhz
1997 - Present 433.92 MHZ UHF (rolling code openers)

Challenger vehicle entry and START verifications (PEM) are in concert with the WIN (Wireless Ignition Node).

PEM (Personal Entry Module) operates at 433 MHz UHF (external entry, locks, etc.)

FOBIK inside: The PEM determines the location of authenticated FOBIK(s) presently available by transmitting on 20 KHz LF and listening on 433 MHZ UHF for the FOBIK(s).

The PEM sends the 64 bit challenge value sent on CAN BUS from the WIN on LF to an authenticated FOBIK located inside the vehicle via PEM.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.