Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Packin up my game gonna head out west....
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Back in November I was looking to replace my 4th gen T/A and was looking at the Challenger and the Mustang GT at the time. I took the Mustang GT out first and liked it and then later in the same day I took a super track Challenger out and was in love.

My uncle was on the 2005 mustang design team and I could have bought a Mustang GT with track pack for $31,000. When instead I bought Rosie for the same price. At the same time my uncle was buying a 2014 Mustang GT premium since he wanted to buy a mustang from the series he'd been on the design team for. This weekend he's visiting us from Michigan with his new Mustang so I got to drive his 2014 GT premium and if I had it to do over I'd not change a thing.

I prefer the Challengers shifter over the tightly grouped Mustang shifter it feels more like a muscle car and greatly reminded my uncle of the Muncie 4 speed in his 73 cutlass. Interior room wise the Challenger just feels so much bigger on the inside. I was noticing how much closer I felt to the window and roof in the Mustang. Corning wise the Challenger with STP just seems very flat compared to the non track pack Mustang.

One thing that the Mustang wins by a landslide is visibility it has much smaller blind spots in the 5 and 7 o'clock positions. Since his car has under 1000 miles I didn't stand on it but I'm sure it would win in a drag race but all in all I'd not change a thing.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Registered
22,648 Posts
Glad you are suffering no buyers regret. I've sat in both the new Mustang and the new Camaro and that's all it takes to know I made the right decision going with the Challenger.

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,476 Posts
Glad to hear you're happy with your decision! I can't even get in a Mustang without banging my knees.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Nice write up and great link to Mustang, not a lot of people can claim that.

A Mustang GT was also partly responsible for me purchasing my Track Pack R/T. I had been eying the Challengers creation and development for a few years and wanted one but when I drove my buddies 07 GT I was in love with the whole muscle car thing all over again. He made me realize that it was possible in a way. He made my brain say, well if you want this experience every day too then just freakin do it!

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,410 Posts
Jay, that was a great read. One question I have is this: did you uncle drive the Challenger? Or would you let him? Ha! If he did, what was his impression?

·
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jay, that was a great read. One question I have is this: did you uncle drive the Challenger? Or would you let him? Ha! If he did, what was his impression?
He loved it. He greatly preferred the challenger six speed to the mustangs, he was really surprised at how flat the Challenger corners, he also really liked the torque of the challenger. For the Mustang if you're not giving it gas and letting the clutch out slowly the car will stall where as the challenger will move without having to give the car gas. I stalled when initially letting the clutch out on the mustang since I was used to the Challenger and vice versa he was giving it more gas than really needed a few times but was enjoying it none the less :)

In general he really got why I'd get the challenger describing it as the more rough and tumble muscle car of the two.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
That was a nice comparison. I especially liked that he loved the Challenger as well. We all know we have the best looking retro car out there and the most comfortable. I like it when Mustang and Camaro owners find that out as well.

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
A lack of buyers remorse is always a great feeling and good to hear you are happy with your decision! Marching to the beat of a different drummer is a good thing, LOL!

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
I have a Mustang GT and I really like it. It's really fast, smaller, handles well and sounds good. Still no comparison to the LOVE I have for my Challenger....not even close!

·
Premium Member
18,439 Posts
Back in Dec. '08 I saw the R/T in a dealer lot and it literally stopped me in my tracks. Took it for a test drive and knew I was going to own one shortly. Still I test drove a Mustang, (the looks of which I liked as well) for comparison purposes. Test driving the Mustang just solidified my choice of the Challenger and I have enjoyed it every day since.
All three muscle cars offer different features for different drivers. In my case it was the Challengers' combination of looks,comfort and enough power for me.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,672 Posts
The closest I came to feeling any remorse was just after I purchased my Challenger and while driving it home, the realization hit me that I had just spent the most money I have ever paid for a car. I literally drove it like I stole it! But I got over that feeling before I even pulled into my driveway! :D

·
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We had my mom and uncle at the house today so we snagged some shots of the two cars together after putting the strut brace in.

Take it easy
Jay

Reactions: Scat Pack

·
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,410 Posts
Very nice shots! Looks like he takes excellent care of that Mustang!

·
Registered
6 Posts
also drove a14 mustang gt. could of got one for the same price, but after I drove the challenger. never even thought about the mustang again. AND...the mustang is only one second faster in the 1/4 mile.......

·
12,989 Posts
There isn't any comparison when it comes to the Mustang and Camaro, both are nice cars but the Challenger has the clear cut edge when it come to driving comfort and looks.

·
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,410 Posts
Have to agree with Alan here. I enjoy looking at Mustangs and Camaros, but after test driving a Camaro, the Challenger was the clear winner for me. It just had the most amazing ride of any car I have ever driven!

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
If I had the money and space I'd have one of each (Challenger, Camaro, and Mustang). But since I don't, I went with the Challenger since it was the best looking of the three and getting a Hemi with a 6 speed behind it just seemed like an awesome idea!

The Mustang GT's with the new 5.0 engine are definitely beasts, they run in the high 12's stock typically which is pretty fast for a stock vehicle. But they're also much smaller inside, have a smaller trunk, a pretty much useless back seat, and while they look pretty cool, they're definitely not as cool looking as the Challenger. But they're definitely an awesome car no doubt. Obviously you'll get a lot of agreements with your opinion on this site since it's a Challenger site, but I'll agree with you as well haha!

Every single person I've ever let drive my car has TOTALLY loved it! My dad, my uncle, my cousin, my wife, my father-in-law, my friends, etc. Not one person said nah it's not for me. Everyone loved how it rode, drove, performed, handled, and how it looked. It's just an awesome car.

After almost 4 years of ownership I'd have to say I have zero buyer's remorse as well. :)

·
"Z" member since 2009
3,907 Posts
Back in Dec. '08 I saw the R/T in a dealer lot and it literally stopped me in my tracks. Took it for a test drive and knew I was going to own one shortly. Still I test drove a Mustang, (the looks of which I liked as well) for comparison purposes. Test driving the Mustang just solidified my choice of the Challenger and I have enjoyed it every day since.
All three muscle cars offer different features for different drivers. In my case it was the Challengers' combination of looks,comfort and enough power for me.
If I had the money and space I'd have one of each (Challenger, Camaro, and Mustang). But since I don't, I went with the Challenger since it was the best looking of the three and getting a Hemi with a 6 speed behind it just seemed like an awesome idea!

The Mustang GT's with the new 5.0 engine are definitely beasts, they run in the high 12's stock typically which is pretty fast for a stock vehicle. But they're also much smaller inside, have a smaller trunk, a pretty much useless back seat, and while they look pretty cool, they're definitely not as cool looking as the Challenger. But they're definitely an awesome car no doubt. Obviously you'll get a lot of agreements with your opinion on this site since it's a Challenger site, but I'll agree with you as well haha!

After almost 4 years of ownership I'd have to say I have zero buyer's remorse as well. :)
My sentiments entirely!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts