Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do larger or ported throttle bodys really give any gain in HP or faster 1/4 times? I have a ported 85mm TB myself and when I removed the stock TB which is 81mm ; I measured the manifold opening and it was also 81mm. Wouldnt the manifold need a larger opening for the larger TB to be effective?

·
Politically correct.
'09 SRT 440 HEMI
11,890 Posts
Do larger or ported throttle bodys really give any gain in HP or faster 1/4 times? I have a ported 85mm TB myself and when I removed the stock TB which is 81mm ; I measured the manifold opening and it was also 81mm. Wouldnt the manifold need a larger opening for the larger TB to be effective?
Yes!!! You are correct. A larger TB helps on engines that have had work done...cam, SC'er, headers, ported heads etc. Basically nothing on a stock engine except maybe a better throttle response. Pretty much a waste of money IMO.

·
Registered
23,118 Posts
There must be some variance in the intake manifold opening as when I measured mine it was just about 84mm, others I've seen have run from 83-85 mm. If you have a 6.1 aluminum intake I think you would see a benefit from porting the intake but with the plastic intakes on the 5.7 and 6.4 porting becomes a bit more difficult.

As to horsepower gain, results seem to run from none to 8 hp, that's from members that have dyno tested before and after install. I've seen a few magazine articles that claim 10 plus, but I would be more convinced if I saw some forum members producing that on the dyno.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just put an 87mm Modern Muscle on mine and while I can say it "feels" like I gained power, I have no definitive proof....however I CAN ABSOLUTELY say that the throttle response is GREATLY improved, as are the manners of the car...even my wife commented how much smoother it drives now...

·
Registered
871 Posts
To the OP point, yes, porting the manifold inlet to the size of, or larger than the TB bore will give the most benefit. If you don't port, don't expect any improvement. Ported TBs that retain the 80mm throttle plate do not need to be ported unless the TB behind the plate is ported. Some are, some are not.

I ported my 2011 SRT plastic manifold, on the car, that measured approximately 82mm out to 87mm and about 3" into the port area. Porting the plastic is easy to do with grit wheels and a vacuum cleaner..

·
Registered
66 Posts
I will be installing a catback and drop in K&N shortly and have been thinking of purchasing a larger TB. since those are the only mods (besides an upcoming tune) would you guys recommend an 85 or 87mm?

I have plans on doing forced induction or a cam/heads package much later down the road but strictly bolt-on stuff in the immediate future. maybe buying a 87 now will prevent me from having to upgrade again in the future if major surgery is done?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Im happy with mine. My car is much more responsive and with a tune you will get the most out of it. I have an 85mm TB and I wont recommend going any higher. Its just another feather in the cap. Ive seen dyno number showing 10-15hp/tq in the powerband. People will say it adds nothing. Im a happy camper and I just keep adding these non horsepower items and pull on the same car with no mods because they feel it adds nothing!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.