Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been discussed but I suck at searching, kept getting a bunch of crap that wasn't relavent. Anyway, what rpm are other R/T manual owners launching at? I've only had two runs in my car and the 60' times were horrible. First launch was about 2800 rpm and spun all the way through first for a 2.710 60'. Second was, I think, about 1200 rpm and she bogged, got a 2.450 60' on that run. I will be going back Thursday to see if I can do better, advice is appreciated.

Also, what tire pressure are you guys running on street tires? I have the factory Supercar F1's. Tire pressure is 37-38 PSI. I've always been told that airing down on street tires in pointless. Opinions? Portable tire inflaters are cheap so if dropping the pressure a bit would help I'm all for it.

·
12,990 Posts
You can try different tire pressures and at different rpms launching but at the end of day I'm sure your gonna see that there isn't any silver bullet for launching a manual without drag radials even when I raced my car which is an auto with street tires I was averaging 2.10s to 2.20s with an occasional 2.0 by easing into the throttle.
I would say if you plan on frequenting the track on a regular basis Drag Radials are a good investment and a must.

Reactions: oilslick

·
Registered
356 Posts
The best experiance Ive had is not reving to a desired RPM and dumping the clutch but by timing clutch and power release. Your RPM should rise as quickly as your foot comes off the clutch. Smooth and fast power delivery. I practice at lights/Stop signs all the time. It is a very quick action. Think of it this way

This should happen in 1.6-1.8 seconds
1/4 clutch release 1500 RPM
1/2 clutch release 2600 RPM
Full clutch release 3200 RPM

Shift at 4800 RPM to second
Shift at 5250 to third

Each shift should have the same effect of power to clutch release. Your RPM should be climbing as fast as your clutch release so your RPM should drop no more than 1500 RPM shifting to the next gear at full release.

Nothing scientific but just what works for me.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
What Phil said, beef up the rear end, get slicks, and get high RPMs and dump the clutch. Be warned, do not try this on a stock RT, it will break an axle, half shaft, etc...

Best bet, to start off, and cheaper, get drag radials 275 17 inch wheels. Around 2K RPM is where you want to start with that set up. Also a Diablo tuner. With a tune you can get to a quarter mile in 2nd gear.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
What Phil said, beef up the rear end, get slicks, and get high RPMs and dump the clutch. Be warned, do not try this on a stock RT, it will break an axle, half shaft, etc...
While that sounds fun this car is my DD and will not be getting slicks anytime soon. Maybe one day when the kids are grown and out of the house. I did run again last night, ran a best of 14.35 @ 97 mph. 2.180 was my best 60'. Not too bad for a stock car on Supercar F1s. The weather was bad too, mid 80's and very high humidity, had lots of fun though!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
While that sounds fun this car is my DD and will not be getting slicks anytime soon. Maybe one day when the kids are grown and out of the house. I did run again last night, ran a best of 14.35 @ 97 mph. 2.180 was my best 60'. Not too bad for a stock car on Supercar F1s. The weather was bad too, mid 80's and very high humidity, had lots of fun though!
I edited my post since you posted this. Drag radials and maybe a tuner, will help in that quarter mile. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I edited my post since you posted this. Drag radials and maybe a tuner, will help in that quarter mile. :)
I do plan on a tuner and a few other things. For right now I'm just enjoying her as she is. I do appreciate all of the input from everyone, some of the tips I got are what helped me drop that 1/2 second.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Your best bet then is taking advice from Dodgeboy and 70barcuda. Both have the experience here for those of us taking our street cars on the track.

·
Registered
252 Posts
For me, I get the best results by side stepping it at 2500 RPM. Less, and it bogs. More, and the wheel hop is BAD. I shift just before redline, barely avoiding the rev limiter. It'll get 2nd and 3rd :D

I run 35 PSI in the stock 18" Michelins.

According to the dash computer, my 0-60 is anywhere from 4.8 to 5.5 seconds. I'm guessing it's ACTUALLY somewhere around the low 5 second range. These were achieved with 1,000 miles on the car; it feels stronger now at 3,400 miles, but I haven't tried the 0-60 timer lately.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For me, I get the best results by side stepping it at 2500 RPM. Less, and it bogs. More, and the wheel hop is BAD. I shift just before redline, barely avoiding the rev limiter. It'll get 2nd and 3rd :D

I run 35 PSI in the stock 18" Michelins.

According to the dash computer, my 0-60 is anywhere from 4.8 to 5.5 seconds. I'm guessing it's ACTUALLY somewhere around the low 5 second range. These were achieved with 1,000 miles on the car; it feels stronger now at 3,400 miles, but I haven't tried the 0-60 timer lately.
Whats your best 60'?

·
Registered
252 Posts
No clue, haven't been to the track yet. They don't give any times at the only local strip, which isn't really even a drag strip... just pit road @ a NASCAR track.

·
12,990 Posts
What's the best way to launch an auto

Launching an auto at the track is a lot easier than a manual especially if you have Drag Radials, just a slight bit of foot braking at the line and then mashing it at the green light. If you have street tires its just a matter of foot braking a bit and easing into the throttle at the green light until you feel you have some traction and then mashing it. There is no exact science when it comes to launching street tires with a manual or auto.

·
Registered
345 Posts
street tires 22 psi 3k half throttle and a lot of clutch slippage until it catches, slicks 14 psi 4k+ nitrous with a quick slip at the end of release

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Launching a manual Challenger is actually a lot like doing a dance....
and a difficult dance at that with street tires.

Invest in a spare set of lightweight rims and some drag radials. That'll help make up for the difficulty in launching a manually shifted IRWS RWD car on the strip.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts