Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 09 Challenger RT is still new to me and wow do I like it. This is the best car I have ever owned. My 67 Firebird was faster with a very well built small block. But this baby is so much easier and fun to drive. Had it 2 months now and I just can not get enough seat time in it.

On to the issue at hand. My car has Borla headers and cat back system and K&N CAI. I have had occasional CEL's that happens with a rough running engine. Obvious dead cylinder when it occurs. Code reader confirms cylinder 5 dead each time. The dealer wants me to pay 700 for a tune up. They want to replace the plugs and run some injector cleaner through it. I'm thinking that is a little pricey.

So I decided to pull the plugs and check them out. Sure enough cylinder 5 was pretty ugly. All the rest looked pretty good. I bought a set of Bosche Double Platinum plugs for it and problem solved. Running 16 days now with no miss.

Now for the question (finally?). Has anyone had any problems similar to this? I'm wondering if there is any history of a lean running cylinder 5 in the 5.7 hemi. I know the trucks had a few issues at one time but did the cars have the same problems?

Thank you all for any replies.

Clayton

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Yep some people have had issues with the heads on 09s. Valve not opening and closing properly causing fouled plug and miss.

·
Politically correct.
'09 SRT 440 HEMI
11,170 Posts
Watch out using platinum plugs as many people had issues with them. The best plug to use is the OE copper core plugs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts