Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 32 years old colleague Dave never drove a manual transmission car in his life and he's looking to purchase a sport car!
So before he head's out to the dealer an get a automatic, I've decided to let him drive my 6 speed Manual Challenger R/T so he can't make a more informed decision about the pleasure of driving stick shift!
Hold tight! This is a funny ride... he learns to drive the hard way in moon's traffic!

PART2: Coming back to the office is hillarious...will upload it soon.
So what car did you first learn to drive manual in?

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,498 Posts
You sir... are a wonderfully brave man! Hahahahahaaha!

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
56,142 Posts
First manual car I drove was a friend's (don't laugh) Corvair station wagon and it was not a long session. My first car was a Duster 340 4spd which was my really first on my own driving a manual, I picked it up pretty quick driving home from the dealer as there were some red lights on hills on the trip of about 7-8 miles.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
My first manual was my Dads 64 Ford..was a 3 on the tree moved to the floor.Within a few months it was a 1 speed.:D
When I first got my 6 speed SRT8 I did push it to the floor but I found thats not required because its not a 1970 Muncie Rock crusher.I also was shifting harder and now I can do it with a few fingers on the shifter. I only push it 1/4 to 1/3 to the floor and found it shifted faster and was the better way to do it.Correct me if I am wrong?

·
801 RWHP
8,552 Posts
My uncle learned to drive a manual when he was like 40 or so on a Probe GT. Remember those? Turbo charged V-6. Had some punch to it. He had a hard time with it. He let me take it out one night to go get some friends and my girlfriend. Wound up receiving a 4 point ticket. LOL. Poked out to pass a van on a single lane road. When I got around the van, I noticed there were seven more cars to go. Smoked by them in a hurry at about 93 miles an hour on this 50mph road. Just as I passed the last car and was moving back into the lane a cop came over the slight grade up ahead. I just pulled over and waited for him. LOL.

·
Premium Member
19,361 Posts
I give you a lot of credit for doing that. No way in hell I would.Your friend did well for the first time out.
First time I drove a clutch was when I purchased a '75 Celica and had to drive it over a bridge from NJ to Staten Island. I had traffic backed up about a mile from stalling out so much.People were passing me flipping the bird and I had this big ole' smile on my face because it was my first new car.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I wrecked my first new car, and my dad allowed me to drive his beater- an Isuzu Amigo. It was not a very good vehicle, but I learned how to drive a stick very quickly. I’ve always loved driving a stick ever since.

·
MOPAR Top Eliminator, Carlisle 2016
28,547 Posts
No way I'd let someone who never drove a stick learn in my Challenger. You must have a very kind and patient heart....

I learned in a 74 Ford Pinto. Bought it from my brother and drove it from Maryland to Brooklyn that day......

·
Registered
2013 PlumCrazy R/T
1,712 Posts
I have always had motorcycles, don't even remember how I learned on that. I guess that mad it easier with the car. First car was a1971 Camaro 4 speed. All of my toys have had a manual except a 1972 Nova. Daily drivers have always been auto.

Just can imagine anyone that old that hadn't driven a stick. Guess eventually their will be a lot of people that haven't driven a stick.

Reactions: wvhemis and HEMike

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,498 Posts
I learned to drive a manual in an 82' RX-7.... fun car...

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
Way to go Mike , your a good man . That's a great way to share your love of cars and I'd have no problem doing the same , but it'd be in a empty car park or similar. Your obviously a good read of a persons ability as he did an excellent job . I look forward to part 2 . :):D

MK 2 Cortina , bench seat 4 on the tree :D:D ( love that car )

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
My dads 84 s-10 first straight drive but actually learned to fully drive ( hills and stuff like that ) was in my first car 87 VW Jetta Got stuck on a steep hill that had a stop sign at the top for like 30 mins. Every time I would roll to the bottom and then get a run-n-go get to the top a car would be comming and have to roll back down :eek: Funny stuff to think about now

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I was either 16 or 17 and learned in a cab over pickup. I can’t even remember the year. It was a straight six and a three on the tree.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I only push it 1/4 to 1/3 to the floor and found it shifted faster and was the better way to do it.Correct me if I am wrong?
Right I only press 3/5 of the way in!
But I wanted him to get use to fully press the clutch pedal...he will figure it out when he gets on, if he does!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My dads 84 s-10 first straight drive but actually learned to fully drive ( hills and stuff like that ) was in my first car 87 VW Jetta Got stuck on a steep hill that had a stop sign at the top for like 30 mins. Every time I would roll to the bottom and then get a run-n-go get to the top a car would be comming and have to roll back down :eek: Funny stuff to think about now
That is hillarious!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Way to go Mike , your a good man . That's a great way to share your love of cars and I'd have no problem doing the same , but it'd be in a empty car park or similar. Your obviously a good read of a persons ability as he did an excellent job . I look forward to part 2 . :):D

MK 2 Cortina , bench seat 4 on the tree :D:D ( love that car )
Thanks! Seemed like he needed to try it. I dont regret doing it but wait till you see the Part2! I think Im going to name it:-"HERO TO ZERO"...lol

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I give you a lot of credit for doing that. No way in hell I would.Your friend did well for the first time out.
First time I drove a clutch was when I purchased a '75 Celica and had to drive it over a bridge from NJ to Staten Island. I had traffic backed up about a mile from stalling out so much.People were passing me flipping the bird and I had this big ole' smile on my face because it was my first new car.
Oh man! Thats funny! Great story.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts