Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought this 3 months ago and finally received it last week. Installing for me was a pain because it is hot as hell currently here. WEll it looks great and works... but I’m having issues. First I made sure my controls all worked after changing it and before I reinstalled airbag. Now the problems are turn signals don’t turn off automatically anymore, electronic stability lights are on and won’t clear and now the cruise control isn’t turning on and lastly backing up the camera shows the lines opposite of the direction you’re turning. lol...so I have a few things to figure out and fix. Oh and after the first time I put the steering wheel on the car was pulling to the right but it isn’t doing that anymore after messing around with it again earlier.

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
That is some excellent carbon fiber work on that steering wheel very symmetrical alignment! Ry

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
I am going for a doofy response, but, have you thought of getting some carbon fiber shorts and flip flops. would really tie the interior together with the steering wheel.
but seriously, nice steering wheel. I know you checked on this already, but, are there any pinched wires?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am going for a doofy response, but, have you thought of getting some carbon fiber shorts and flip flops. would really tie the interior together with the steering wheel.
but seriously, nice steering wheel. I know you checked on this already, but, are there any pinched wires?
Ha ha, ya like I said it hot...well I’ll find out because on my way home today right by my house the airbag light came on...lol... I think I’m going to wait until later when the sun goes down to mess with it.

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
Ha ha, ya like I said it hot...well I’ll find out because on my way home today right by my house the airbag light came on...lol... I think I’m going to wait until later when the sun goes down to mess with it.
Check your connector pins, sometimes when the connectors are pushed together, the pins will slip past the lock mechanism and slide back enough not to make solid contact. Computer connectors are really bad about that and many auto connectors are the same.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Check your connector pins, sometimes when the connectors are pushed together, the pins will slip past the lock mechanism and slide back enough not to make solid contact. Computer connectors are really bad about that and many auto connectors are the same.
So I removed airbag again. Checked all the wiring and see nothing wrong with it. Disconnect wiring and reconnect wiring and mess around with the steering wheel to get the camera lines straight again. Connect battery and now the airbag lights on,stability control lights on,horns not working, the leds on steering wheels not working and the cruise control is not working. Check fuses and all the airbag fuses are good and the horn fuses are good. So I don’t know wtf is going on....lol.. I might just end up taking it to a shop because I fix one problem and it creates a new one so far and the weirdest thing I hooked my Diablo tuner to the obd from the steering wheel because it is plugged into the cars obd and all the numbers got weird like on the gauges on the Diablo. I disconnected the steering wheels obd and connected the Diablo straight to cars and it worked perfectly after that. No codes are being thrown. Checked with my obd2 meter. So do you all think I should seek professional help??

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
I'm wondering if some of the wiring in the steering wheel was not connected properly? If you reinstall the stock steering wheel does everything go back to normal?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So most of the wiring is from original wheel. But I did try the old controls for cruise control and got nothing from it.

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
So most of the wiring is from original wheel. But I did try the old controls for cruise control and got nothing from it.
So you transferred the controls and wiring from the stock wheel to the carbon fiber wheel yourself, Is that correct?
To do this you disconnected both the positive and negative battery terminals, Right?

The CAN bus is the communication feature that allows all the cars computers to communicate with each other and I mean all the cars computers, ECM, BCM, Radio, ABS, etc.

I just had my Jeep ECM sent off and rebuilt and their reinstallation instructions required both battery terminals disconnected before installing for at least 30 minutes, and I had only disconnected the negative terminal while the ECM was being rebuilt, not realizing the first thing the installation instructions require in bold writing was to have both terminals disconnected for at least 30 minutes.

Your steering wheel is directly tied into the CAN bus communication system, with volume, speed, cruise control etc.

Try disconnecting both battery terminals, wait 30 minutes, reconnect the positive first, and then the negative, and see if that restores your CAN bus communication.

Reactions: Thegreekmason

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So you transferred the controls and wiring from the stock wheel to the carbon fiber wheel yourself, Is that correct?
To do this you disconnected both the positive and negative battery terminals, Right?

The CAN bus is the communication feature that allows all the cars computers to communicate with each other and I mean all the cars computers, ECM, BCM, Radio, ABS, etc.

I just had my Jeep ECM sent off and rebuilt and their reinstallation instructions required both battery terminals disconnected before installing for at least 30 minutes, and I had only disconnected the negative terminal while the ECM was being rebuilt, not realizing the first thing the installation instructions require in bold writing was to have both terminals disconnected for at least 30 minutes.

Your steering wheel is directly tied into the CAN bus communication system, with volume, speed, cruise control etc.

Try disconnecting both battery terminals, wait 30 minutes, reconnect the positive first, and then the negative, and see if that restores your CAN bus communication.
Yes I only disconnected the negative side. But I had all the controls disconnected from car while installing them on wheel. I actually only took the paddle shifters from original wheel and wiring harness. So get this I contacted the company I bought it from and they are telling me I must have wired it incorrectly and that they only have professional stereo installation done...lol and also they have never had anyone have these problems before ha ha.

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
I know you are frustrated as hell, but try disconnecting both battery terminals for the 30 minutes and reconnect like I texted you.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know you are frustrated as hell, but try disconnecting both battery terminals for the 30 minutes and reconnect like I texted you.
Yes sir I already disconnected them and I’m currently cooking my breakfast... lol....if anything I’m annoyed with the company I purchased from. These people are just being asshats!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Not directly related but recently I decided to build 2 gaming computers from scratch. Never did that before but I thought I could do it. I got done with comp 1, fired it up and got a big POP. Checked and the PCU was providing no power. Replaced it and tried again. POP and nothing. Checked everything and all looked good to me. I finally had to take it to a local repair shop and they found my new case had a short in the power button. They replaced it and the comp fired up. I then build comp 2 and it fired up first try. My thought is you may need help. Sometimes you do everything right but still have problems.

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
Not directly related but recently I decided to build 2 gaming computers from scratch. Never did that before but I thought I could do it. I got done with comp 1, fired it up and got a big POP. Checked and the PCU was providing no power. Replaced it and tried again. POP and nothing. Checked everything and all looked good to me. I finally had to take it to a local repair shop and they found my new case had a short in the power button. They replaced it and the comp fired up. I then build 2 comp and it fired up first try. My thought is you may need help.
I've ran across bad case switches before, most high end gaming motherboards today have a power and reset switch on the motherboard itself so you can start it up independent of the computer case. That way you can test it independent of the case button controls. I build high end gaming machines for friends and some family members, computers have been a hobby of mine since 1999. My present gaming machine is CPU overclocked to 5ghz cooled with chilled water cooling my secondary computer hobby, is chilled water cooling. Now, If I can just figure out how to make chilled water cooling work on my Challenger! :) Ry

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not directly related but recently I decided to build 2 gaming computers from scratch. Never did that before but I thought I could do it. I got done with comp 1, fired it up and got a big POP. Checked and the PCU was providing no power. Replaced it and tried again. POP and nothing. Checked everything and all looked good to me. I finally had to take it to a local repair shop and they found my new case had a short in the power button. They replaced it and the comp fired up. I then build 2 comp and it fired up first try. My thought is you may need help.
lol, I might need help but it’s the kinda I would have to see a dr for haha. Actually If this keeps going I’ll probably seek help professionally. But I’m pretty confident I’ll figure it out. I actually used to build my own computers and I worked in construction as an electrician. Funny part is the last gaming computer I built in 2008 I just replaced with an Alienware last year because I didn’t have the time to build a new one. Plus for the money I think I got a pretty good deal. But thanks for the response. I still fee that company should be more helpful than just going straight to negativity. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've ran across bad case switches before, most high end gaming motherboards today have a power and reset switch on the motherboard itself so you can start it up independent of the computer case. That way you can test it independent of the case button controls. I build high end gaming machines for friends and some family members, computers have been a hobby of mine since 1999. My present gaming machine is CPU overclocked to 5ghz cooled with chilled water cooling my secondary computer hobby, is chilled water cooling. Now, If I can just figure out how to make chilled water cooling work on my Challenger! :) Ry
That’s awesome

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I waited an hour and reconnect battery. No luck still no lights on wheel and the others are still on... lol.. guess I’ll try a professional before I drive the car off a cliff and collect the insurance...jk

1 - 20 of 46 Posts