Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Great talked to a custom shop and the owner is telling me to take it to the dealership because Chrysler electrical and electronics are a nightmare for repairs. He doesn’t want to charge me a bunch of money trying to diagnose the problem if he doesn’t think he will be able to fix it.... lol...so at least there’s that.

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
I'm sorry man, I am pretty much out of ideas of what it could be? Ry

·
Registered
252 Posts
Love the steering wheel. Looks great. Might have to get me one.

Sounds like you broke the clock spring. The count is off is the reason traction lights are on and steering is going in the opposite direction. Sad but your going to need a new assembly. Dodge doesnt sell the clock spring separate. Its a whole piece including the turn signal assembly. Youd have to check the count for the steering angle sensor with a scanner. Should be -800 to +743 or something close to that if i remember correctly. I had an issue out of one once when i changed an engine and steering wheel got turned by a coworker. Took me a little while to figure it out because of the funky count it uses

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

Sounds like you broke the clock spring. The count is off is the reason traction lights are on and steering is going in the opposite direction. Sad but your going to need a new assembly. Dodge doesnt sell the clock spring separate. Its a whole piece including the turn signal assembly. Youd have to check the count for the steering angle sensor with a scanner. Should be -800 to +743 or something close to that if i remember correctly. I had an issue out of one once when i changed an engine and steering wheel got turned by a coworker. Took me a little while to figure it out because of the funky count it uses
Hmmm interesting information that might be useful to fix it. I’ll see what I can do.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

So I did a search and found some videos on this and it looks like a very plausible theory. So I guess I’m going to remove steering wheel and clock spring assembly and try to test the continuity from one side to the other. I remembered something after I read this when I came home and while the leds worked and most everything did work I heard a pop that sounded like plastic breaking and thought that’s weird... lol...now I’m wondering if that was the final straw and it broke almost completely inside the clock spring. I see they are a little expensive also.... lol... So now my wife’s mad at me for breaking my car...ha ha... told me I have to buy her something sparkly for our anniversary. But in all seriousness thanks for the help and I’ll let you know what I find and figure out.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So I removed steering wheel again and then the clock spring and tested continuity and there’s nothing going through on any of the pins which is weird because the volume controls and controls to the stereo and pages was working before... I don’t know if they are now so I guess I shouldn’t speculate... lol...anyways I found one online on sell but not positive it is a good deal so I’m going to do some more searching and maybe call dealership and see if they have one I can just go pickup. I’m guessing that you can’t just go to autozone and pick one up... lol but I guess I’ll call and see. Thanks for the help...I’ll let you know if this works and I’m completely crossing my fingers that it does.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
So I did a search and found some videos on this and it looks like a very plausible theory. So I guess I’m going to remove steering wheel and clock spring assembly and try to test the continuity from one side to the other. I remembered something after I read this when I came home and while the leds worked and most everything did work I heard a pop that sounded like plastic breaking and thought that’s weird... lol...now I’m wondering if that was the final straw and it broke almost completely inside the clock spring. I see they are a little expensive also.... lol... So now my wife’s mad at me for breaking my car...ha ha... told me I have to buy her something sparkly for our anniversary. But in all seriousness thanks for the help and I’ll let you know what I find and figure out.
my vote for something sparkly is get her a scatpack also. the sinamom color really sparkles in the sun. that way she will be distracted while you repair your challengers steering wheel.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts