Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm approaching the winter in the Boston area and I plan to continue driving in most days (on blizzard days, I'll likely remain at home)
I'm realize the tires I have now are shit for the snow or rain (stock, I think) so I'm looking for something that I can use all year round ideally as long as they give me decent enough traction in the snow and rain where it's reasonly safe if I don't drive aggressively, but if I need winter tires to go on every year, I can live with that too. Just want to be on the safe side. What do people recommend for daily commuters like me who are expecting some inclimate weather? (I do plan to spray down under the chassis to reduce corrosion from salt and the like.

·
Registered
577 Posts
NH. Same boat. Just had Bf Goodrich comp 2, 275 R40’s delivered Friday.
my second go round with these.
Have 30k on em and probably have another 5-10 left. But we know our winters right!
Tire Rack. $800 for 4. Free delivery

·
Registered
582 Posts
Dedicated winter tires are better than an "all season" tire for snow and ice and in cold temperatures. Bridgestone Blizzack is one of the best. However, they are not intended for year round use and wear rapidly in warm climates.

Continental makes some of the best all season tires. For test results and ratings go to:

Remember, for snow a narrower tire is better than a wide one.

·
Premium Member
15,112 Posts
Dedicated winter tires are better than an "all season" tire for snow and ice and in cold temperatures. Bridgestone Blizzack is one of the best. However, they are not intended for year round use and wear rapidly in warm climates.

Continental makes some of the best all season tires. For test results and ratings go to:

deano offers some good advise. Go with a dedicated snow tire,nothing else in your area of the NE. The Blizzacks are a very good choice.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Conti’s were horrible on my Magnum. Fell for it twice. Snows on a Challenger just doesn’t seem right. It shouldn’t be out there.
the Comp 2’s have a super aggressive outer tread. Great middle ground

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would recommend a full set of tires, and a set of winter wheels to go with them.

I got a set of 4 18"x7.5" Moda wheels through Firestone Car Care (wife was a Firestone COrp. employee) and a set of Blizzaks.

This was the winter of 2014 and compared to the way the car felt the winter before (factory tires in the first witner) the difference was night and day. I would almost say just the same as the all-seasons on dry pavement.

The set wasn't cheap, but going with the smaller wheel would make the second set of winter tires cheaper because the 235/55r18 tires we way cheaper than the 20" versions.

tirebuyer.com is a good alternative to TireRack when you start looking. I bought my last 2 sets through them, free delivery.

·
801 RWHP
7,657 Posts
Dont drive the Cat after Thanksgiving, for the most part. But, I had issues driving my Acura TL in snow. Put Blizzaks on. No more problem. It's my daughter's car now and I will be swapping them on, this weekend, while she's home from college.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would recommend a full set of tires, and a set of winter wheels to go with them.

I got a set of 4 18"x7.5" Moda wheels through Firestone Car Care (wife was a Firestone COrp. employee) and a set of Blizzaks.

This was the winter of 2014 and compared to the way the car felt the winter before (factory tires in the first witner) the difference was night and day. I would almost say just the same as the all-seasons on dry pavement.

The set wasn't cheap, but going with the smaller wheel would make the second set of winter tires cheaper because the 235/55r18 tires we way cheaper than the 20" versions.

tirebuyer.com is a good alternative to TireRack when you start looking. I bought my last 2 sets through them, free delivery.
So 4 tires for all year and blizzak
Tires for the winter only?

·
Registered
19 Posts
If this is your only car, then yes! Again I got a complete set of wheels in a smaller dia and width to take cheaper tires because of the size.

When it comes time for new all-seasons you can go a little more aggressive knowing you have the winter set ready to change out.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
NH. Same boat. Just had Bf Goodrich comp 2, 275 R40’s delivered Friday.
my second go round with these.
Have 30k on em and probably have another 5-10 left. But we know our winters right!
Tire Rack. $800 for 4. Free delivery
Why 275? I keep reading that thinner is better for the snow - even as small as 225

·
Registered
19 Posts
That was pabably to just stay with his stock tire size if on the 9" factory rims.

You are correct that a skinnier tire would be better in an attempt to cut through to the pavement, but if you are on hard packed roads most of the winter maybe wider would be better. The sipes are supposed to hold snow to bond to the hard pack increasing grip.

This totally changed my mind.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That was pabably to just stay with his stock tire size if on the 9" factory rims.

You are correct that a skinnier tire would be better in an attempt to cut through to the pavement, but if you are on hard packed roads most of the winter maybe wider would be better. The sipes are supposed to hold snow to bond to the hard pack increasing grip.

This totally changed my mind.
If I wasn't already convinced on snow tires, I am now! The question now is do I go thin or wide.. I was planning on getting new wheels at some point anyway so I'm wondering if I should get some solid wide blizzaks and then plan to change out the tires for the summer tires I have on now.. or eventually something better. For now I definitely need the snow tires. I'm wondering if I can kill two birds with one stone or if I should really get thinner wheels for better traction in the snow. I'm in the northeast so it's definitely a yearly concern.

·
Registered
19 Posts
What wheel size do you have? My stock wheels are 20"x8" so I would have to do the stock size of 245/45R20. Which get to be about $225 a tire, so $900 plus mount and balance (about $200-$250 per year, both on and off)

Or you could get a 225/60R18 Firestone Winterforce, for about $128 each + a Moda MD14 (like mine) mounted and balanced from tire rack for $1450ish w/TPMS and tax.

I got mine in Jan of '14 and used them into spring of 2019, so I would think that you come out ahead by about $700-$800 over 5yrs (($225x4+($250/yr x 5) - $1450) = $700 if you do the swapping of wheels yourself).

·
Registered
914 Posts
If I wasn't already convinced on snow tires, I am now! The question now is do I go thin or wide.. I was planning on getting new wheels at some point anyway so I'm wondering if I should get some solid wide blizzaks and then plan to change out the tires for the summer tires I have on now.. or eventually something better. For now I definitely need the snow tires. I'm wondering if I can kill two birds with one stone or if I should really get thinner wheels for better traction in the snow. I'm in the northeast so it's definitely a yearly concern.
Get the wheel/tires as narrow as you can but you still want tires that are suitable for use on your car given its weight.

Narrower tires get down to where the grip is better but too narrow and the amount of tire in contact with the road or whatever the car is on is less so there's that.

In short go as narrow as you can but no narrower.

While I have never bought a set of winter wheels/tires I have come close. What I did was consider what the factory had to offer -- for those my cars for which the factory sold sanctioned winter wheel/tire sets (for instance my Porsche cars) -- or I visited Tire Rack and researched winter wheel/tires sets.

So my advice would be to if Dodge has a winter wheel/tire recommendation at least consider that. If not then visit Tire Rack and research winter wheel/tire sets for your car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I grabbed this from http://www.tiresize.com:

This is a better fit overall in terms of diameter. My 235s were plenty to support the cart during dry conditions within reason and snow performance was a world of difference for the better.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
25,227 Posts

Agree with you about the Continentlal all season tires. Have used those on my Scat now and also my previous R/T. I drive year round, and am very happy with them.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I went with dedicated snow shoes because I am in a pretty heavy snow area. I went with the moda md14s as you did, nightbringer and got the blizzak dm-v2s

1 - 20 of 23 Posts