Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon all,

Just inherited a '12 SXT from my sister and looking to do a few things
to it over time. I'm currently working on a turbo setup on my 2000 GP,
so I'm not in a rush to get anything done immediately. I have always
built my Grand Prixs and Park Avenue's over a stretch, but I'm not seeing
a possibility of piecing this SXT together. Supercharger, turbo, etc.

I'm I missing something or not looking in the right place?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Throttle Body Upgrade, Injectors, Computer Tune, Exhaust and Rear End will make some good gains. Lately a swarm seem to think a Supercharger / ProCharger / Turbo is just a quick
conversion or easy its more instead and costly. That's a huge cost upgrade and in the end better off trading car up to a More Powerful RT / 392 Model... JMHO

·
Registered
2014 Boosted 392 Stroker Shaker
3,921 Posts
Adding boost is easily a 10,000 dollar bill...

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
This subject comes up ALL the time here. But you’re in a good place for advice. Here is mine; same as I told my son with a 6 cylinder. Sell the car and put some money you’d have spent on a forced air system and move up to a 5.7 or 392 (aka 6.4). Money ahead and similar power levels.

Reactions: Derecho

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Throttle Body Upgrade, Injectors, Computer Tune, Exhaust and Rear End will make some good gains. Lately a swarm seem to think a Supercharger / ProCharger / Turbo is just a quick
conversion or easy its more instead and costly. That's a huge cost upgrade and in the end better off trading car up to a More Powerful RT / 392 Model... JMHO
Sounds pretty reasonable, she already had a little exhaust work done few years back. Nothing
too crazy, but it does have a decent tone to it. I been reading on here about the diablo tuner. I
would have to acquire an unlocked ECM for this correct? I was under the expression that these
rear ends could not be swapped out? I been using the search and haven't seen anything concrete.

Thanks for replies folks, by the way.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The 2012 does not have a Locked PCM that only applies from 2015 up... If you do a Tune get it done by a Shop that does that so they can Dyno and make sure nothing is too wacky.
Also make sure they back up the current settings first... There is some Rear End upgrades that can be done on the 2011-2014 SXT's....

Sounds pretty reasonable, she already had a little exhaust work done few years back. Nothing
too crazy, but it does have a decent tone to it. I been reading on here about the diablo tuner. I
would have to acquire an unlocked ECM for this correct? I was under the expression that these
rear ends could not be swapped out? I been using the search and haven't seen anything concrete.

Thanks for replies folks, by the way.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Adding boost is easily a 10,000 dollar bill...
Isn't the Sprintex kit $5500 complete with a tuned ECM? Summit even carry it now, for that price. The other stuff does add power, just nothing significant like a Supercharger or Turbo. Exhaust just make it sound bad for what, 5 hp? If you have an AWD drive GT or SXT, a V6 is your only option.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 2012 does not have a Locked PCM that only applies from 2015 up... If you do a Tune get it done by a Shop that does that so they can Dyno and make sure nothing is too wacky.
Also make sure they back up the current settings first... There is some Rear End upgrades that can be done on the 2011-2014 SXT's....
Cool, realistically if I could get it to make 350 whp. I'm totally cool with that. Doesn't need to be a track
animal. Hopefully my Grand Prix will handle that portion. I understand it's probably better to have my own
tuner, but if I could come across someone who could tune and perhaps load up the Hemifever tune I been
reading up on, I'll be where I want to be?

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger SXT
69 Posts
With all my mods, I was able to achieve a 13.85 last month at the strip, pretty decent for a 3.6. It's just naturally-aspirated. Just a Hemifever tune alone, in my experience, won't get you exactly where you want to be. Maybe adding the PUG manifold, ported TB, and a few others, along with the tune will get you more to where you were looking at. This is just my experience.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can dig it, thank you folks for the replies. I'm definitely taking notes. Has anyone had experience
with the Overkill tunes? I used them for my GP and my old Park Ave. Just gauging on the
word from folks that may know better than I.

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger SXT
69 Posts
I can dig it, thank you folks for the replies. I'm definitely taking notes. Has anyone had experience
with the Overkill tunes? I used them for my GP and my old Park Ave. Just gauging on the
word from folks that may know better than I.
From my tuning research, I haven't ever heard anything negative from Overkill. He used to make a ported throttle body for the 3.6 at one point too, but I'm not sure if he does anymore. I'm sure both Overkill and Hemifever will get you the little extra sauce you may be looking for out of the Pentastar.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, hemi fever will be the move. Gotta save up for the diablo. I read the 2012 ecu is not locked so I wouldn't have to pay for the unlocked ecu. Truth to this?

·
Registered
221 Posts
The Tune has to pertain to everything that is changed on car best to find a Local Shop to do the Tune based on Mods and Dyno it for everything to work right...
A Good Tune Shop can also Back up Current PCM Settings, update it and then if there is an issue can revert... Dont have to worry about your PCM being Lost or Damaged in Mail has happened to a few people as there is tons of shops around who can do it and work with you real time.

·
Registered
2014 Boosted 392 Stroker Shaker
3,921 Posts
The best way to tune a Challenger is to log the vehicle's data, and send that information to a tuner who actually knows what he is doing...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts