Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGpuFwEKpUM

Not that I thought locking lugs were foolproof, I was just hoping I might get a thief to seek an easier target of opportunity. I'll still use them just on the chance most thieves will not be equipped with a reverse threaded key and a portable impact wrench, but it's a little disheartening that the keys are available OTC.

On the plus side, if I ever lose my key it's nice to know there's a way I can get them off!

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
They may not be foolproof but still incredibly worth it... I mean look at what that guy had to do. It was incredibly loud, and took him a while just to get the first one off, then even more time to get the lug nut off of his tool. Thieves want simplicity and quickness, neither of which that guy was experiencing. I mean if I was at my house at night chilling and heard this racket going on, I would certainly investigate.

·
455 RWHP / 452 Torque
3,732 Posts

·
Mopartial to Challengers
9,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
151 Posts
What happens if you lose the key? What happens if the tire shop loses the key? What happens if in the process of taking off multiple locking lug nuts with the key, the key finally breaks?

To me, unless I lived in a very high volume theft area I don't think they are worth it. My car was delivered with the Mopar locking lug nuts and I immediately went home and removed them. I'd rather be able to get my wheels off when I need to than worry about protecting that precious key. And on the off chance that my wheels do get stolen, I have full coverage insurance.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
9,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What happens if you lose the key? What happens if the tire shop loses the key? What happens if in the process of taking off multiple locking lug nuts with the key, the key finally breaks?

To me, unless I lived in a very high volume theft area I don't think they are worth it. My car was delivered with the Mopar locking lug nuts and I immediately went home and removed them. I'd rather be able to get my wheels off when I need to than worry about protecting that precious key. And on the off chance that my wheels do get stolen, I have full coverage insurance.
That's the point of the video. the guy is demonstrating how to remove locking lugs if you lose the key.

More than 30 years ago I experienced my first and only wheel theft (probably by vandals or pranksters because only one wheel was taken, and they left my car propped on an old jackstand), but I was inconvenienced by having to drive around on my spare until I could buy a replacement a week later. I have used wheel locks ever since, and I personally have never lost a key, but I take precautions. For example, for any work on my wheels that requires their removal such as a tire change, I always bring my spare and I always direct the service writer to return my wheel lock key with my car keys before I pay the bill.

For my Challenger, I have locking lugs for all 20 wheel bolts. When I received my locking set from Gorilla, the first thing I did was order a spare key. One key stays in my trunk, the other key is with my spare FOB and other spare keys. I know that not everyone will take the same precautions I do, but it's really just common sense preparation.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I worked at a tire store for 5 years, all you have to do is get a socket that you can beat on with a mallet or hammer and then use an impact; they will come right off. We had to do this quite often if people misplaced a key or bought a used car w/o the key. Obviously we had most keys just in case, but when we did not have the right key, a good ole socket worked just fine; I think it was a 21mm or 22mm that we used the most.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
If someone wants them bad enough, they will get them and or they can have them. Like someone already said, that is what ins. is for. Use the money and get something new/different, chances are you were ready for something new/different anyway. LOL

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I think its just up the the owners if they want them or not, the wheel locks are no good if they take the entire car.

·
Registered
584 Posts
X2, it's easier to take the tires if you have the whole car.

All security devices are deterrents. I did security on a Navy Base in Norfolk. The fence was considered a 2 minute deterrent.

As far as what happens if you loose the key. Takes Summit about 2 days to get them to you. And your truck sits in the shop while you wait for them. In the middle of a snowstorm with only an Aveo and the Challenger to drive.

Don't ask how I know :shakehead:

·
Andy
3,906 Posts
X2, it's easier to take the tires if you have the whole car.

All security devices are deterrents. I did security on a Navy Base in Norfolk. The fence was considered a 2 minute deterrent.

As far as what happens if you loose the key. Takes Summit about 2 days to get them to you. And your truck sits in the shop while you wait for them. In the middle of a snowstorm with only an Aveo and the Challenger to drive.

Don't ask how I know :shakehead:

hahahahahaha...I won't ask...promise!

I might have had a similar issue with my Jeep one winter...I didn't have two days to wait so the guy at the shop welded a new nut onto the lock nut and off it came but straight into the trash of course.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,426 Posts
I think this comes down to a personal decision for each member. Your location, whether your car is garaged, and how often it may be parked in a higher crime location.
I have such a low risk of all of these, I don't feel it necessary to have the locking lug nuts.
With John (HemiMetal) I think I can understand his reasons for the locks!

·
Dash Cam Guy
2,277 Posts
If it gives you peace of mind then go for it. I'd rather not fuss with them personally.

·
Registered
584 Posts
hahahahahaha...I won't ask...promise!

I might have had a similar issue with my Jeep one winter...I didn't have two days to wait so the guy at the shop welded a new nut onto the lock nut and off it came but straight into the trash of course.
Only problem was is they were all Pro-Comp locking lugs. If it was one per wheel I would have opted for trashing 4 of them.

But 24 is a different story.

·
Andy
3,906 Posts
what I get from this thread is that maybe there's an opportunity for someone with some smarts to develop a better way to secure our expensive wheels in high crime areas.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
I worked at a tire store for 5 years, all you have to do is get a socket that you can beat on with a mallet or hammer and then use an impact; they will come right off. We had to do this quite often if people misplaced a key or bought a used car w/o the key. Obviously we had most keys just in case, but when we did not have the right key, a good ole socket worked just fine; I think it was a 21mm or 22mm that we used the most.
I had to do that with my son's Jeep, and had to use a 21MM. It's not hard to do just a pain in the but!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts