Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Let's see...I've got 6300+ miles on mine with roughly 3 round trips over 400 miles there and back. So far my trips have been to car shows. Woodward, Columbus and Carlisle. Yep, all three I spent staying in hotels with some time wondering if she would still be there in the morning. So far so good. I'm planning something that would include going out west. It'll be a long cruise, hopefully over some historic highways. Most of my miles have been short trips averaging about 60 miles one way.
The Challenger is a wonderful cruising car. The miles just slip away.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
so I think im going on a road trip in my baby before the snow.... KC MO 2 days denver 2 days then back home... we will see if I make it!!

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have driven my Challenger RT across the country and back. I am in the military and drove it from Clarksville, TN to El Paso TX to attend school last year. This last june, I drove it from El Paso across the lower states to Savannah, GA, where I am currently assigned. First trip was only 30 days after taking delivery of my new 2011. Great break in drive. RT is a great cruiser, getting 26 MPG at cruise was outstanding. The challenger is a great road trip vehicle, love the conversations everytime I stopped for gas. I actually stopped more than I needed to, just to show it off a bit, and no one wants to be stranded in the outback of TX. Sirus and bluetooth were creature comforts that made the trip even better. I removed the resonators after I took delivery, nothing better than a little drone to keep one awake. When you are in a job that takes you overseas every other year, you drive your Challenger every chance you get, driving this car is something I wil sorely miss when next deployed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
667 Miles

The wife and I drove the R/T 667 miles from San Jose Ca. to Portland Oregon, in one shot. When we got to Portland, my back did not hurt, and I felt great. This is by far the best "road trip" car that I have ever owned. BTW, I got 25mpg, on the way home!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I take a pretty good amount of road trips in my car since I'm at college 6 hours away from my family, but can never find just the right setting for the seat so usually just slightly uncomfortable but nothing the headed seats won't fix.:smileup:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I live in Maryland and have made two trips to Houston, Tx and one trip to Plymouth, Ma. Have another trip to Texas coming up in a couple of weeks. I don't worry about parking at hotels. I usually stay at some nice ones and there are usually cars in the parking lot that are more valuable than mine. I'm more worried about the drivers on the road that I have to deal with between hotel stops.
IF u dont mind me asking was gas filling up bad?
Im going first time on a trip from wv to ga 9.5 hrs away never drove it or been there

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
IF u dont mind me asking was gas filling up bad?
Im going first time on a trip from wv to ga 9.5 hrs away never drove it or been there
Thread dates back to 2012. You might get a response or you might not.

Since I have to gas up my cars here in CA -- everything is self serve -- on the road filling up is not a problem. I tend to stop at the larger stations, truck stops, as they have pretty good prices, have plenty of pumps, have good clean bathrooms.

Be sure you check the engine oil after every fill up and be sure you have a quart (2 is better) of the same oil that is in the engine in the trunk -- I carry the oil bottles in a plastic tub in case one leaks it doesn't make a mess of the trunk -- to add oil should the level drop.

(Check the other vital fluid levels, too. Do not open the coolant cap but just look at the various plastic tanks and verify the fluid levels are between the min and max lines.)

Oil level: It can drop a good amount. One drives around "town" and over time the oil collects water -- normal -- but because the engine doesn't get very hot the oil doesn't get very hot and the water doesn't boil out of the oil. Then the car gets taken on a long road trip and chances are the engine gets hot and stays hot and the water boils out. This lowers the oil level as the water was making up for the oil that was being burned all along. Generally this is not much. My experience with engines that use oil is anywhere from 1/2 quart to 1 quart in 5K miles. But it can be quite a shock to see the oil level drop 1/2 quart in just a few hundred miles of driving.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
I haven’t taken my current Challenger more than 200 miles one way but the previous ones went on several trips of 1000 miles round trippers. I’ll say this: Having owned multiple Firebirds and a Celcia, these cars are awesome on the highway. All the modern conveniences, they ride smooth and quiet, and of course the gawkers make you feel good, too.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
longest trip in my scat has been 500 miles,cruise at 80 with the a/c on ( 22 miles to the gallon) but, I have been stuck in 2 hour traffic on I95 crawling along at 9 miles an hour, and it is a comfortable place to be when you aren't moving at a steady clip.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts