Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I know that you can fix the CEl codes with bigdaddy's extenders, but which ones? My car will be a 6.1 liter. I heard you need the angle adapters and the mini cats, is this true?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I don't know what year you have but up to the 10 model year I read it has to do with the rear 02 Sensors. I think the Diablo tuner can fix the problem. Just my guess.

·
Politically correct.
'09 SRT 440 HEMI
11,247 Posts
I don't know what year you have but up to the 10 model year I read it has to do with the rear 02 Sensors. I think the Diablo tuner can fix the problem. Just my guess.
The DS Predator itself can't turn off the O2 sensors any longer due to emissions regulations, but a custom CMR tune from a Diablosport tuner/shop can do this for you.

:4-wavey:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, i've got it though. Bigdaddy's FTW.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The angle adaptors and mini cats from Big daddies garage are working fine for me. If you have to pass and emissions test you don't want to shut off the rear 02 sensors.

·
Registered
400 Posts
The angle adaptors and mini cats from Big daddies garage are working fine for me. If you have to pass and emissions test you don't want to shut off the rear 02 sensors.
I have both the angle and the mini cat installed and getting lean codes on Both Bank 1 and Bank 2. Those adapters are not rocket science so any ideas why a 2011 would still be throwing codes?

Big Daddies says it's a leak somewhere, but on both banks? I find that a little hard to believe. would the oversized TB be causing them? That's the only other thing changed. I have a code reader to clear them out, but if Diablo cannot get a tuner out before next year I will be clearing codes for a while.

Seems to pop them avery 25 miles or so.

·
Politically correct.
'09 SRT 440 HEMI
11,247 Posts
I have both the angle and the mini cat installed and getting lean codes on Both Bank 1 and Bank 2. Those adapters are not rocket science so any ideas why a 2011 would still be throwing codes?

Big Daddies says it's a leak somewhere, but on both banks? I find that a little hard to believe. would the oversized TB be causing them? That's the only other thing changed. I have a code reader to clear them out, but if Diablo cannot get a tuner out before next year I will be clearing codes for a while.

Seems to pop them avery 25 miles or so.
I also doubt there is a leak. It's been said before, those mini cats just don't work on all cars for some reason.
I would say that the TB is not your cause either.

:shakehead:

·
Registered
400 Posts
I also doubt there is a leak. It's been said before, those mini cats just don't work on all cars for some reason.
I would say that the TB is not your cause either.

Good to know I spent $120 for nothing. I will have the mechanic check anyhow. I guess I am stuck with the codes now until the tuner is available....if it ever is. Is there any issue running with the codes popping? Will the PCM adjust fuel or anything for the code? I will be screwed come next inspection season if the tuner is not out.

I was told these would work since it gets them so far out of the air stream with the angle and the mini-cat. Feels like snake oil now :(

·
Politically correct.
'09 SRT 440 HEMI
11,247 Posts
Is there any issue running with the codes popping? Will the PCM adjust fuel or anything for the code?

I was told these would work since it gets them so far out of the air stream with the angle and the mini-cat. Feels like snake oil now :(

Shouldn't be an issue. The sensors are just reading the before and after exhaust flow differences and your hi-flow cats are making them similar to each other thus setting the codes. It's common. The PCM uses the upper O2 sensor to read the exhaust to adjust for fuel. So, your should be okay. But if you really want to know for peace of mind, have someone with a wideband O2 sensor check it for you.
That stinks about your mini-cats though. I'd be pi$$ed too.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Shouldn't be an issue. The sensors are just reading the before and after exhaust flow differences and your hi-flow cats are making them similar to each other thus setting the codes. It's common. The PCM uses the upper O2 sensor to read the exhaust to adjust for fuel. So, your should be okay. But if you really want to know for peace of mind, have someone with a wideband O2 sensor check it for you.
That stinks about your mini-cats though. I'd be pi$$ed too.

Well the idea seemed sound getting them soooo far outside the air stream. Guess I need to wait for the diablo to drop so we can disablen them. Sucks they don't work on all cars that makes no sense that it works on some and not others.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Well the idea seemed sound getting them soooo far outside the air stream. Guess I need to wait for the diablo to drop so we can disablen them. Sucks they don't work on all cars that makes no sense that it works on some and not others.
If you disable the rear O2 sensors it will show them as "not ready" so you'll fail inspection. Clearing the codes and CEL prior to inspection will show the same message. Trust me I know because I had ARH long tube headers on my GT that failed for years.
I'm in the same boat as you. I put ARH long tubes with cats and Big Daddy's minicats without the angle thingys and the CEL has been on ever since.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Actually in NH they pass disabled. I had them disabled on my 2010 and here it just checks for the codes not if they are enabled or not. My other one always passed just fine. I wish those mini cats just worked. The guys there keep telling me there is a leak. I think their $120 worth of stainless connectors just does not work. :(.

Did nh change something in the inspection that disabling fails now? How did you get it inspected you have the same car as me and we cannot disable them yet without a tuner like on my 2010.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I haven't had to get this car inspected with the long tubes on yet. I'll have inspection coming up in August and hopefully something mat be available by then.

·
Registered
400 Posts
10-4, mine will be next summer. I do know that my 2010 with the rears disabled did not show anything so unless NH changed something from 24 months ago, that should still work. Like I said I am just bummed the $120 in extra stainless didn't do jack.

·
"Gin'iro Ryuujin"
2,358 Posts
The O2 Extenders from big daddiesgarage or the homemade ones are designed to help eliminate the P0420/0430 codes not the P2096/2098 codes. Exhaust leaks and or bad O2 sensors are often the major culprits. Mine was a header exhaust leak.

Found this on another forum:
P2096-DOWNSTREAM FUEL TRIM SYSTEM 1 LEAN

For a complete wiring diagram Refer to Section 8W</B>.

• When Monitored:
  • With the engine running in closed loop, the ambient/battery temperature above –7° C (20° F) and altitude below 8500 ft.
  • Set Condition:</B> The PCM monitors the Adaptive Memory factor (a combination of Short Term Adaptive and Long Term Adaptive). If the total fuel addition exceeds a calibrated threshold for an extended period, a fuel system lean fault is stored. If the total fuel subtraction exceeds a calibrated threshold, a fuel system rich fault is stored. Two Trip Fault. Three good trips to turn off the MIL
Possible Causes</B> INTERMITTENT DTC EXHAUST LEAK FUEL DELIVERY SYSTEM ECT SENSOR, WIRING, OR CONNECTORS MAP SENSOR, WIRING, OR CONNECTORS O2 SENSOR, WIRING, OR CONNECTORS ENGINE MECHANICAL SYSTEM POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)
</B>
Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding. (Refer to 9 - ENGINE - DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING).</B>
Diagnostic Test

1. DTC IS ACTIVE </B>

Diagnose and repair any other active component or circuit DTCs before continuing with this procedure.
Turn the ignition on.
With the scan tool, select View DTCs. Copy DTC and Freeze Frame information.
Start the engine and allow it to reach operating temperature.

WARNING: When the engine is operating, do not stand in direct line with the fan. Do not put your hands near the pulleys, belts, or fan. Do not wear loose clothing. Failure to follow these instructions can result in personal injury or death.

NOTE: Attempt to operate the vehicle under conditions similar to which the DTC was set.

NOTE: It may be necessary to test drive the vehicle within the DTC monitoring conditions in order for this DTC to set.

With a scan tool, select View DTCs.

Is the status Active for this DTC?

Yes
  • Go to 2
No
2. CHECKING THE EXHAUST SYSTEM FOR LEAKS </B>

Perform the diagnostic procedure for *CHECKING THE EXHAUST SYSTEM FOR LEAKS.

Were any problems found?

Yes
No
  • Go to 3
3. CHECKING THE FUEL DELIVERY SYSTEM </B>

Perform the diagnostic procedure for *CHECKING THE FUEL DELIVERY SYSTEM.

Were any problems found?

Yes
No
  • Go to 4
4. CHECKING THE ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR OPERATION </B>

Perform the diagnostic procedure for *CHECKING THE ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR OPERATION.

Were any problems found?

Yes
No
  • Go to 5
5. CHECKING THE MAP SENSOR OPERATION </B>

Perform the diagnostic procedure for *CHECKING THE MAP SENSOR OPERATION.

Were any problems found?

Yes
No
  • Go to 6
6. CHECKING THE OXYGEN SENSOR OPERATION </B>

Perform the diagnostic procedure for *CHECKING THE OXYGEN SENSOR OPERATION.

Were any problems found?

Yes
No
  • Go to 7
7. CHECKING THE ENGINE MECHANICAL SYSTEM </B>

Perform the diagnostic procedure for *CHECKING THE ENGINE MECHANICAL SYSTEM.

Were any problems found?

Yes
No
  • Go to 8
8. POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM) </B>

Using the wiring diagram/schematic as a guide, inspect the wiring and connectors relative to the components tested in this procedure.
Look for any chafed, pierced, pinched, or partially broken wires.
Look for broken, bent, pushed out or corroded terminals.
Monitor the scan tool data relative to the components tested in this procedure and wiggle test the wiring and connectors.
Look for the data to change or for a DTC to set during the wiggle test.
Refer to any Technical Service Bulletins that may apply.

Were any problems found?

Yes
No

·
Politically correct.
'09 SRT 440 HEMI
11,247 Posts
I went through all of this a couple of years ago when I installed my old Magnaflow midpipes. I had both codes (P0420/0430 and P2096/2098) pop up within 150 miles of installing them. There were no exhaust leaks either.
I guess it just the nature of the beast with most hi-flow cats.

:smiledown:

·
Registered
400 Posts
I went through all of this a couple of years ago when I installed my old Magnaflow midpipes. I had both codes (P0420/0430 and P2096/2098) pop up within 150 miles of installing them. There were no exhaust leaks either.
I guess it just the nature of the beast with most hi-flow cats.

:smiledown:

Here is an update:

Turns out the Bung Welds HAD HOLES in them from the factory. I had to get a whole new set shipped under warranty. Then pay to have them re-installed again and inspected before hand. One thing installer did was use some liquid gasket on the flanges since that seemed to also be a likely suspect place for a small leak.

The Mini CEL and right angles are back on, there is never been the 420/430 codes which according to Big Daddies is the way you know the mini CAT combo is working. The right 2098 code cleared out. There was TWO 2096 codes and one of them has been cleared out. Still waiting to see if the other fully clears.

If it does and they run clean, the leak aspect is most likely the issue. Considering the right side bung had a weld hole that was a leak. We think the driver side was at the flange and the gasket sealer should button that up. I am HOPING it all clears out after another few miles. The two permanent codes were showing when I picked it up and one cleared....so that's a good sign I guess.

Now my real issue is Magnaflow admitted a hole is out of spec for manufacturing, yet will not cover the dual install costs which is BULLOCKS! They had a bad product I had to pay twice to install. The fact they will do jack about that really tweaks me.

Bottom line if you buy their mids, HAVE THEM INSPECTED before install, use the dual angle/cat fix, and have them use some kind of gasket sealer on the flanges. So far so good.....I hope outside of paying twice to have the work done.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I read the codes last week and got P2096, P2098, cleared them, only to have the CEL come on again shortly after 25 miles or so. Read the codes again a few days later and had those two, as well as P0153 this time.
I will have my mechanic check for leaks etc. but I think the lean bank thing is either the system running a bit lean or maybe those big daddy things are making the O2 sensors THINK there isn't enough fuel? No clue really. :4-dontknow:
I wish we could get these engines tuned.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts