Dodge Challenger Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
I read the codes last week and got P2096, P2098, cleared them, only to have the CEL come on again shortly after 25 miles or so. Read the codes again a few days later and had those two, as well as P0153 this time.
I will have my mechanic check for leaks etc. but I think the lean bank thing is either the system running a bit lean or maybe those big daddy things are making the O2 sensors THINK there isn't enough fuel? No clue really. :4-dontknow:
I wish we could get these engines tuned.
We may be different since I did not do long tubes I kept stock headers and did the Magnaflow Mids only. The long tubes vs the cats only could be apples and oranges.

Going to drive it tonight and PRAY the other 2096 clears out.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Still reply from Magnaflow on the crappy welds or the $120 I paid for replacing them OR the fact they made me go to amazon for the replacement when the insert says DO NOT RETURN TO STORE FOR WARRANTY, OR there is no warranty card in the box. Seriously....they are horrible.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I guess was was over optimistic. After driving all evening, it through the 2096/2098......again. New pipes, $120 in new install, $120 for the big daddies adapters....throwing money down the drain now.

What I cannot figure out is why the codes show up three to 4 times with the reader. Some say pending MIL, some say permanent, but all the same codes. took it much longer this time to pop, but I'm at a loss.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Regarding the minicats, one person that uses them with no issues advised me, "Running bigdaddies garage mini cats? Thats all I am using, stack there silver washer with the rear-o2 washers and no leaks and no codes. If your stacking the angle ones with the mini's, ditch the angle."
I'm going to have to check to make sure the washers were positioned properly by my mechanic.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I swore He installed both the washers with the mini cat fix into the angle, but I don't have a lift to get under there and look myself. I specifically showed him the two washers and even printed the email from big daddies. Hell if we just had a tuner we could disable them but the $120 for these big Daddies deals seems like a waste of money. I hoped those would prevent codes for now without the tuners. I keep spending money to have these damn things looked at, checked for leaks, and the mechanic is about as frustrated as me. Maybe I can jack it up and tae a picture, but I thought either way you needed to stack the washers so the O2 sensor would not hit the honeycomb in the cel fix. You needed the clearance so even with the angle you would do the same thing. The angle just pulls it further out of the air stream.

·
Registered
400 Posts
The sucky part is once a tuner is available you can have a CMR just disable the darn things and the $120 from Big Daddies was thrown down the drain. I am curious if a lean code will prevent inspection so much as the 420/430's. It seems right now more of an annoyance, but if it prevents inspection next year I'll be screwed unless Diablo gets off the stick. such a waste of money so far. Speedlogix keeps selling these mid pipes and saying they are not getting codes with seems like BS as well. Everyone should be seeing the same issues, how some are and some are not is beyond me

I do have a BT catch can as well, but those hoses are pretty tight and I would think a vacuum leak up there would be presented before the cats.

·
Registered
400 Posts
What are the odds there really even IS a leak? I feel like I am chasing the white rabbit having people look for this mystery leak throwing the 96/98's. How people do not throw the 420/430's without the Mini-Cel on some cars just baffles me. These are all the same motors at the end of the day.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Regarding the minicats, one person that uses them with no issues advised me, "Running bigdaddies garage mini cats? Thats all I am using, stack there silver washer with the rear-o2 washers and no leaks and no codes. If your stacking the angle ones with the mini's, ditch the angle."
I'm going to have to check to make sure the washers were positioned properly by my mechanic.
Did you try ditching the Angles and see if anything is different? I am curious why those are needed in the first place. Seems like the dual sets of threads could be the leak point IMHO.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'm not using the angled pieces. I was going to get them from someone at a great price but he told me they didn't work on his car so he advised me just to try the minicats by themselves (which I did). The thing with my set up is I have high flow cats on my longtubes so I figued most of the work was already being done by them so the minis would do it.
I also have straight pipes to get rid of the cats altogether. If not for my wife bitching and moaning about exhaust fumes and also in case a visual inspection for cats is ever done, I'd ditch them.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'm not using the angled pieces. I was going to get them from someone at a great price but he told me they didn't work on his car so he advised me just to try the minicats by themselves (which I did). The thing with my set up is I have high flow cats on my longtubes so I figued most of the work was already being done by them so the minis would do it.
I also have straight pipes to get rid of the cats altogether. If not for my wife bitching and moaning about exhaust fumes and also in case a visual inspection for cats is ever done, I'd ditch them.
the mini cels are definitely clearing the 420/430's but the lean codes are still there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Are you currently running with the 85mm TB listed in your future mods?

Have you tried pulling that off and going back to stock?

Reason i ask is that long tubes tend to scavenge better then shorties, which actually pulls a bigger charge into the cylinder while the cam is on the overlap. The PCM uses the MAP, TPS, ECT, IAT, and O2 sensors to calculate the injector pulse width to deliver the appropriate amount of fuel for your charge of air. With the TB being larger and letting in more air than is expected for a given throttle position, plus the extra scavenging, plus the crippled O2 sensors, there may very well be more variables than the stock pcm programming can account for.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New here, please go easy. Not new to cars, but I have a question about the bigdaddiesgarage.com o2 sensor combo kits. Anyone use them for taking care of the 0157, 0171, and 0174 lean codes? Running a CAI, 85mm TB, LT headers, high flow cats, and Borla exhaust. I can’t find a leak prior to the post cat O2s.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Trey, New also. I have a 2021 Scat Pack and just installed Kooks long tubes with catted pipes. After punching it a bit, I get a cel of 0P420, and after reset, get a 0P0430. I understand these are exhaust codes, but I tried to contact Diablosport to purchase a tuner, but they are out of commission with phones and their network. I contacted American Muscle and they suggested I send the headers back, but after 1grand+ to install, and 1grand to uninstall, I would be 2grand in the hole and back to square 1. Sorry if this is a bit off from your question, but sounds like we are in the same boat. Right now I am just looking at the car in the garage, not wanting to do damage. Good luck with issue! WICU

·
Politically correct.
'09 SRT 440 HEMI
11,248 Posts
Those codes are only removed by the DS tuner. It doesn't change the tune so damage should not occur with the CEL on.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Actually, am looking into HPTuners about getting an unlocked PCM. I just wanna go fast and loud without the dashboard crying out. I suspect it may be a few bucks, but I am hopeful the result will be worth it.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts