Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
long tube or short tube headers?
whats the difference between the two and which one should I go with I have borla atek cat back

·
Premium Member
9,085 Posts
Without a custom tune...neither one is going to give you enough gain to be able to feel at all but with a tune the long tubes have shown more gain. The real question is....do you have to pass emissions testing where you live. If so...the long tubes are going to be a problem. The short tubes are a bolt and go with no nagging side effects. Not so much with the longs. Without a good tune though...niether one will be worth the time and money spent unless other more costly engine mods are in works in the future.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the t1000 trinty true cold air intake running 91 octane I live in cali but I have 5 years to worry about smog so what do you think?

·
Premium Member
9,085 Posts
I have the t1000 trinty true cold air intake running 91 octane I live in cali but I have 5 years to worry about smog so what do you think?
If it was me and I was willing to put off the emissions testing hassles until the time you state...I would go with some WELL insulated long tubes and hi-flow cats and then get a custom tune from Hemifever here on the Z.:smileup:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sweet is it worth it for hemifever to get me a custom tune and whats the best hi flow cats and I have the top of the line borla

·
Premium Member
9,085 Posts
Doing the headers without a custom tune from Hemifever or some time on a local dyno is pretty much a waste of time and money IMO. You want to keep all of your cat-back and just hook up everything cat forward to it. Has far as the best hi-flows....I would ask that in a new thread and see what the community here has to say because I'm really not sure on that. I do remember that there was one brand that has far less CEL problems.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
very informative thnx I think im going to go with the long tube :)

Just be sure to check what your local emissions issues are. LTs will throw CEL codes unless you have them tuned out.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
ya will my trinty take care of the codes or what will?
Probably need an engine tuner to do it for you unless you know exactly what combination of settings to use for your engine package. if you simply turn the sensors off, many emissions testing programs can detect that the sensors are not functioning and will give you an immediate fail. Since you live in CA I would recommend you take it to an engine shop out there who knows what to deal with. I live in MD and I cant assume our programs are the same as yours.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
I have Shorty Headers, Highflow Cats on mine.. With a Custom tune I am pulling 373 at the wheels.. The reason I am running Shorties, in Maryland Long Tubes can fail upon visual inspection.. I am not sure about California..

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
I have Shorty Headers, Highflow Cats on mine.. With a Custom tune I am pulling 373 at the wheels.. The reason I am running Shorties, in Maryland Long Tubes can fail upon visual inspection.. I am not sure about California..

Eric - I hear ya! That is exactly why I went with SRT headers and not the full Kooks LTs. Plus the shorties give me better low end torque than LTs do. But the VEIP porgram in MD is a PITA. I don't need some snot-nosed yahoo giving me grief on a header technicality even though it passes the sniffer and OBD port tests.

The really aggravating part is in MD a) not all counties have emissions programs (so my neighbor a couple of miles away doesnt have to do diddly squat), b) each county has implementation latitude - so for example in AA county they dont do a visual inspec, in mine they do, and c) its often pot luck on who you get - sometimes I get a cool person, sometimes I get one with a burr up his / her butt that wants to go over everything with a fine tooth comb just because my car sounds a little more grumpy than most.

I once had an older gal (who obviously didnt apprecaite fine rides), put me through a point by point visual (with her on-line reference manual wide open) looking for something just because it was loud and she didnt like it. In her book loud equated to illegal. My OBD port test came up perfect on all factors, but she figured i did something to fool the test device, so she hooked me up to a sniffer pipe. When that showed i was WELL within tolerance (not even close to the thresholds), she went for the visual. Kept me there for 20 minutes just looking for s - - - . The manager finally came over since we were taking so long and asked what was going on. Once he heard he told her to send me on my way and get on with it.

Although in hindsight I suppose I didnt help my case when she was asking me about gas mileage was on my "gas hog". I asked her what she was driving and she pointed to a Malibu. I asked her what she got mileage was and she said low 20's. I told her my 400 HP car gets almost 30 on the highway and about the same as hers around town (of course that's when I am not WOT, but that really isnt the point, is it?). She didnt believe me, so I told her to see for herself on the avg mpg # on the dash (I had just returned from a long distance trip so it was 28s). I dont think that was "helpful" although at this point it felt good to rub her nose in it for her attitude.....

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
Eric - I hear ya! That is exactly why I went with SRT headers and not the full Kooks LTs. Plus the shorties give me better low end torque than LTs do. But the VEIP porgram in MD is a PITA. I don't need some snot-nosed yahoo giving me grief on a header technicality even though it passes the sniffer and OBD port tests.

The really aggravating part is in MD a) not all counties have emissions programs (so my neighbor a couple of miles away doesnt have to do diddly squat), b) each county has implementation latitude - so for example in AA county they dont do a visual inspec, in mine they do, and c) its often pot luck on who you get - sometimes I get a cool person, sometimes I get one with a burr up his / her butt that wants to go over everything with a fine tooth comb just because my car sounds a little more grumpy than most.

I once had an older gal (who obviously didnt apprecaite fine rides), put me through a point by point visual (with her on-line reference manual wide open) looking for something just because it was loud and she didnt like it. In her book loud equated to illegal. My OBD port test came up perfect on all factors, but she figured i did something to fool the test device, so she hooked me up to a sniffer pipe. When that showed i was WELL within tolerance (not even close to the thresholds), she went for the visual. Kept me there for 20 minutes just looking for s - - - . The manager finally came over since we were taking so long and asked what was going on. Once he heard he told her to send me on my way and get on with it.

Although in hindsight I suppose I didnt help my case when she was asking me about gas mileage was on my "gas hog". I asked her what she was driving and she pointed to a Malibu. I asked her what she got mileage was and she said low 20's. I told her my 400 HP car gets almost 30 on the highway and about the same as hers around town (of course that's when I am not WOT, but that really isnt the point, is it?). She didnt believe me, so I told her to see for herself on the avg mpg # on the dash (I had just returned from a long distance trip so it was 28s). I dont think that was "helpful" although at this point it felt good to rub her nose in it for her attitude.....
That is definitely aggravating, I have friends in St Mary's county that have no emissions..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts